Noob question...upgrading to a bigger hard drive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Noob question...upgrading to a bigger hard drive?

mixflip
11-20-2010, 16:23
Sorry to keep asking all these computer noob questions lol...

How do I get all the data & software programs from my old hard drive to a new bigger hard drive? I dont want to just add the bigger hard drive, I want to make the bigger hard drive the master. I just dont know how to transfer everything over...properly.

kc8ykd
11-20-2010, 16:35
assuming you're just swapping out the hard drive, what you want to do is actually pretty painless.

what you would want to do is find some software (i'm digging around right now for some free stuff) that you would boot to using a cd-r, then with both hard drives plugged in, tell it to copy the partition from the old hard drive to the new one, then expand the partition so it takes up the entire drive (otherwise, it would be the same size as the old drive).

then, set the computer to boot off the new drive via the bios (pretty easy to do).

lemme do some more digging, i'm familiar with Partition Magic, but that you have to pay for. i'm 100% sure there's free alternatives.

kc8ykd
11-20-2010, 16:44
Hiren's Boot CD has the utility CopyWipe on it which will allow you to copy the partition (and it's contents, ie your data) from the old drive to the new.

it's available free here:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download.html?start=8

download, burn to cd-r then boot off of it. it will give you a psudo windows environment where you can then use the utility to copy the data over.

after that's done, make sure to go into your bios at the next reboot and tell it to use your new hard drive as the boot device, as opposed to the old drive.

kc8ykd
11-20-2010, 16:47
here's another free utility, Partition Wizard:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

download, burn to cd-r and boot. then copy the data and reboot, and make the bios change.

Hiren's boot cd has lots of other utilities which you may or may not find useful in the future. this Parition Wizard is just for mucking around with partitions, so it may be a bit easier for you to navigate since it's got a singular purpose.

srhoades
11-20-2010, 18:04
Any retail hard drive will come with the software to migrate over your old drive.

mixflip
11-20-2010, 18:13
Thanks for the tips guys. The bigger HD is a used one so I dont have any migration software.

StarvinMarvin
11-20-2010, 19:24
What is the brand of this new hard drive?

The reason i ask is because Seagate and Western Digital drives can use these companies versions of Acronis imaging software that should make what you are trying to do easy.

Seagate (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard)
Western Digital (http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119)

mixflip
11-20-2010, 20:57
here's another free utility, Partition Wizard:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

download, burn to cd-r and boot. then copy the data and reboot, and make the bios change.

Hiren's boot cd has lots of other utilities which you may or may not find useful in the future. this Parition Wizard is just for mucking around with partitions, so it may be a bit easier for you to navigate since it's got a singular purpose.

I downloaded this program but it wont let me burn a CD for some reason. Maybe I can just use the program to copy/clone the old data onto the larger hard drive? It gives me this option and I was wondering if I should just do that rather than burn a CD? Will that work? Just curious but why do I need to burn a CDr disk?

kc8ykd
11-20-2010, 21:17
I downloaded this program but it wont let me burn a CD for some reason. Maybe I can just use the program to copy the old data onto the larger hard drive? It gives me this option and I was wondering if I should just do that rather than burn a CD? Will that work?

that should work. i'm quite surprised it will allow that to happen if you're using the partition tho.

when it's done copying, drag the slider on the right of the new partition all the way to the right so the new partition fills the new disk size.

if it complains about trying to copy a partition that's in use, you can use the bootable version here:

it's the link at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html
(is this the link used previously? the last link downloads a cd image file, a .iso that you put on cd using a burning program of your choice)

mixflip
11-20-2010, 22:03
Ah ha! It worked. I used partition wizard to simply clone all data from disk 1 (the 80 gig HD) to disk 2 (the 360 HD). I had to restart the computer to finish the cloning process but it worked perfect. No burning of CDr disks needed.

Then I turned off the computer, unplugged everything, and swapped the 360gig drive into the top slot and the 80gig drive into the 2nd slot as a piggy back. I dont even think I needed to do this but I just did it in case I want to take out the 80gig drive without disconnecting both SATA wires to get to it if it were sitting in the top slot?

Anyway, new 360gig drive is the new master (full partition too) and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help guys. That free program helped!

kc8ykd
11-20-2010, 22:11
there isn't a master/slave relationship with sata, so you don't need to change any cables or anything if you want to leave the old drive in there.

as long as the bios is set to boot off your 'new' drive, you're all set. you can go back and do whatever you wish with the old drive now that the data's all copied over to the new one.

glad it worked out for you!

mixflip
11-20-2010, 23:15
I am assuming it booted off the 360gig drive since I swapped it into the top slot?

Update - I just looked back using the wizard program and it does show the 360gig drive as the active/boot/system/primary.

Thanks again! You guys all rock! I have learned more about computers in the last week here than I did in the last year, lol.

kc8ykd
11-21-2010, 01:38
double check your bios to be sure.

also, the internal slot order doesn't matter.