Hunting on TV and in magazines - bad and unethical shots [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on TV and in magazines - bad and unethical shots

Dennis in MA
11-21-2010, 16:50
I was watching some show on Versus this afternoon - flipping through.

Some guy takes a 250yd shot on a whitetail. First shot - IN THE ASS! He missed by a good 12-18" (deer was quartering away). He gets lucky that he probably bangs the spine and the deer is sorta flopping around, so he gets a second shot, which is a mortal wound, but the deer still continues 25-50 yds (on camera) jumping all around. The 3 guys on the hunt are high-fiving and talking about how thankful they were they got that second shot and how funny the first one was. If you think an 18" miss is a good shot at 250 yds, don't take a 250yd shot!

Just last month, F&S had an article (or was it OL) about a deer drive. The farkin deer was shot THREE TIMES by guys with buckshot as it tried to evade the drive. IIRC, 2 out of the 3 shots were by the DRIVERS! It seemed the author didn't have a real problem with that at all. (Serious harm to the deer AND unsafe firing of buckshot in the vicinity of the standers. EEEEK!)

Countless times on TV, I watch some guy make a marginal shot, and then pat himself on the back that he at least hit the animal. It just rubs me the wrong way. Show some humility at causing needless suffering, ya jerk!

I realize stuff happens. You don't always get the shot you want or you flinch or whatever. But don't be congratulating yourself on a job not-well-done. I suspect 99% of deer hunters would cringe at that moment, not be happy.

NHmike
11-21-2010, 17:58
I dont watch hunting programs or vids anymore. They are mostly shot behind locked gates and on high dollar public land.

I once watched a vid called "Hunting in the East" it was shot in Texas!

Big Bird
11-22-2010, 14:53
Having hunted for nearly 35 years I can tell you that poor shots on game happen from time to time. Its part of the sport. A deer is a living, breathing, moving animal and in the time it takes you to blink and eye it can go from standing perfectly broadside to jump the string on a bowshot. Its real easy to second guess someone on a TV show.

Not making excuses...just sayin.

We wound ducks, doves, nearly every time we go hunting.

I wish we were good enough to keep it from happening. But the animals have other ideas... If they wanted to be kill't cleanly they shouldn't ought'a moved when I jerked the triggger!

GlockJD
11-22-2010, 15:36
I think the point is their reactions to the bad shots, high fiving and celebrating over trying to end the suffering.

CC Glock
11-22-2010, 16:41
I was just talking to friends about this the other day. I have seen more quarting toward shots taken with a bow on tv this year then all the other years combined. On the crush last night after lee killed narls (a huge buck that scored 197), the next guy up shot at buck quarting to, arrow came out of the back ham, he found his buck but if wasnt an ethical shot.

Dennis in MA
11-23-2010, 08:39
Bad shots happen. Congratulating yourself on a bad shot shouldn't happen. 20 years ago, when there was about 5 hunting shows on TV (and they NEVER showed the kill shot - always cut away), the host/hunter would ALWAYS humble himself if he made a bad shot.

Today, it's Redneck Village. "WOOOOO!!!!! LET'S HIT EM AGIN!!!!"

BierGut
11-29-2010, 14:53
Some guy takes a 250yd shot on a whitetail. First shot - IN THE ASS!

What firearm did he take the shot with?

Dennis in MA
11-30-2010, 10:18
Some bolt action. I forget. What bugs me is he's high-fiving on a clearly bad shot. I'd have preferred his "hit" took off a tine of the antlers.

K.Kiser
11-30-2010, 16:52
I agree, some people just suck and should really pull their own reins in on what they try to accomplish... On our deer leases there were always some guys that notoriously needed help finding deer that they hit poorly, and as many times as not the wounded animal wasn't found... After ever so many displays of being a dip****, those guys would be forced to hunt elsewhere... It was always a real big deal around us to put an animal down cleanly... I remeber one time when a Guy need help trying to find his 3rd lost deer in 2 weeks of hunting was making excuses, and my Dad asked him " Dude, are you using the right end of your rifle because this is bull**** and maybe You should bring a camera next weekend instead of a gun "... Of course this is an imperfect world and bad stuff will happen, but no one was allowed to make a habit of it and at the same time one shot clean drops were to be commended and congratulated...

vafish
11-30-2010, 17:02
Poor editors that don't understand hunting.

Those clips should never make it onto TV or video's.

CC Glock
11-30-2010, 17:31
Poor editors that don't understand hunting.

Those clips should never make it onto TV or video's.

Or maybe they should........to show us how not to be a tard and where not to shoot an animal.

I give the animals i kill the same respect i would give a close friend. I know that may sound alittle weird but its the truth. I acctually had a tear fall on that last big buck i took. It meant that much to me.

BierGut
12-01-2010, 09:30
Some bolt action. I forget. What bugs me is he's high-fiving on a clearly bad shot. I'd have preferred his "hit" took off a tine of the antlers.

I completely agree... my point was at 250yds... better be a fairly proficient shot. Anything over 50 yards by a bad shooter to me is unethical.

Another thing that bugs me are those African Safaris with wealthy trophy posers who've maybe, just maybe (if the game is lucky), put 15 rounds through a .375 h&h rifle.

Yarddog(1)
12-01-2010, 16:26
Well if they really had to hunt the deer like we do in N/E FL, They would learn to make them shots count ; ) But hi fiving on a Butt shot, Glad they are'nt hunting near me or my freinds ; )
Y/D

BierGut
12-02-2010, 08:10
Glad they are'nt hunting near me or my freinds ; )
Y/D

Amen! Just had a hunter out for Whitetail shot and killed this past week in the NE PA area. :sad:

BK63
12-19-2010, 08:19
Where I live you can't use buckshot on deer. Only slugs in a shotgun or rifle. I've seen deer taken in Maine that have been hit previous with buckshot and the area was all infected and festing. Sad to see a deer living like that. I also saw a show on tv where guys were shooting crows crossing power lines. All I could think was these guys were shooting the living crap out of those power lines. Just plain stupid.

boomchakabowwow
12-19-2010, 11:47
ive seen "pro" hunters use their riflescopes as binoculars..to evaluate animals. stupid. they are essentially aiming at something they may or may not want to shoot.

idiots..buy binoculars.

G36's Rule
12-19-2010, 18:19
ive seen "pro" hunters use their riflescopes as binoculars..to evaluate animals. stupid. they are essentially aiming at something they may or may not want to shoot.

idiots..buy binoculars.

Ridiculous statement.

Once I've determined that it is a possible shooter animal, buck or doe, I get on it with rifle on sticks to look it over. You may need to make a snap decision and the time taken to put down the binocs and get the rifle up may mean losing the shot.

Just because you have an opinion on something, doesn't mean you are correct.