Stevens 67 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 67

WiskyT
11-23-2010, 17:36
I stopped in a pawn shop the other day to kill some time. They are like gun shows, I never find a good deal, but every couple of years I go in one to browse around. Anyway, there were some old pump guns I was not familiar with. There were a several Stevens 67's with bird barrels in 12G in about "good" condition. They seemed complete but well used. They were around $150.00 and the idea of getting one for $125.00 or so was appealing.

No, I don't need one. Yes, I know a Maverick new for $50.00 more would be a better idea, and the way to go for someone who was looking for a basic gun. But, I liked the idea of refinishing the wood, touching up the blueing, and hacking off the barrel for an old school looking riot gun. I have a Mossberg 18.5" and was issued 870P's. Great guns, but the older Stevens seem thinner and quicker to handle. They remind me of an Ithaca 37 in the shape of the stock, the corncob forearm, and lightweight barrel. The "better" SG I own all seem heavy.

So, I can't find anything regarding the 67, or the Savage 30 which I think is the same gun. Do they work? Any safety issues? Would cutting the barrel down be a sin?

mlyon55
11-23-2010, 21:08
Just bought one a few weeks ago at a pawn shop that was closing down for $50. It didn't have any bluing left and the stock was cracked but for $50 I didn't think I could lose. Cut the barrel down, sanded and rhino lined the stock. Then used engine coat on the barrel. Turned out to be a sharp looking gun. It was a fun project. They do not have much value so do whatever you like with it. Overall pretty decent gun. I put it in my Rhino for a snake buster.

vafish
11-23-2010, 22:05
Good serviceable shotgun.

Parts availability may be an issue if you plan on running it hard.

No sin in a project gun, they have little collector interest. $125 is about what they are worth. Only way I would not cut one down was if it was in 100% condition, no scratch on the wood, unfired, ect...

WiskyT
11-24-2010, 04:21
Thanks guys. You're answers are about what I figured. One thing I did find online is that parts varry indimensions because of the length of the production run. So if you need a doohicky, it might need to be fitted even if you find one.

I won't go over $125.00. I don't know how pawnshops work as I've never seen anything close to a deal in one. Used cordless screwdrivers for $5.00 less than a new one etc. They have Highpoint pistols for $250.00 just to give you an idea. IF I can get them down to $125.00, I'll get one, if not, they can keep it.

They actually had what looked like a good deal on a Wingmaster with a birdbarrel. I think it was about $250.00 and it was in pretty good shape. From what little I know, it had the old style feed sytem with the non-slotted spoon. I don't know much about them other than the ones we had had a slot in the spoon. I wouldn't cut that one down, I'd just get an aftermarket barrel for it.

I just have to get a little more educated about the older SG for my next trip down there. I'll bring a pad and pen and write down the prices and model numbers etc. They had some that were a little off the beaten path like some Westernfield guns. I'd need more info on them to be able to cross reference them to see if they are good guns or not. The one Westernfield I remembered had a locking lug that mated to a hole in the top of the receiver. If that rings a bell for anyone, let me know what model it is so I can google it please.

vafish
11-24-2010, 19:56
In pawn shops cash is king.

A lot of the old Westernfield shotguns were Mossberg 500's.

Here's a link to a cross reference list

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

Westernfield is towards the bottom.

WiskyT
11-24-2010, 20:10
In pawn shops cash is king.

A lot of the old Westernfield shotguns were Mossberg 500's.

Here's a link to a cross reference list

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

Westernfield is towards the bottom.

I surfed around and found that the Westernfield is most likely a Stevens 620. From what I can tell, the 620 is a much better gun that was designed by JMB himself and produced by Stevens as the 520 first, and then updated as the 620. It should be a takedown model where the barrel, mag, and forearm come off as a unit with a twist of the mag tube. Seems like a better way to go than the 67.

The 620 was discontinued at a time when Savage/Stevens only made good stuff, but the 67 was made into the 1980's when Savage/Stevens was really at it's low point. In theory, the 620 should be a better gun. Now that I know a litle more, I'll go back and look at them again.