Serial Number Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Serial Number Help

fmf_corpsman
11-23-2010, 20:35
Good Evening,

I can only assume this subject has been beaten to death, and I apologize up front. I have a very special case(I think) regarding a Glock 23 though.

I have referenced the serial number database and could find nothing, so I followed the advice given about contacting Glock directly. This morning I spoke with a gentlemen by the name of Ed if I remember correctly. I asked him if he could provide me with any information regarding my G23 and provided him with the serial number. After a few minutes on hold he came back and asked me if I had given him the serial number correctly and I repeated it for him. He then told me he had no record of that serial number. He then asked me if it had the US at the end of the serial number sequence and I told him that it did not. He then told me that it had not been imported into the U.S.

My question/concern is it possible that this pistol has somehow made it into the States illegally, if not how best to start tracking down some info regarding this particular G23?

I appreciate any help or advice someone would be able to give in this matter.

The sequence begins with AYB, and to be perfectly honest I haven't the foggiest idea about how to tell a 1st Gen from a 2nd or 3rd. I have included pictures if it will help.

Thank you for the help,

JR
11-23-2010, 23:25
First of all, Ed would know if the gun was imported legally. He has access to all the numbers.
Second of all, if the gun is not legal .... it has to be illegal, and subject to forfeiture.

FYI: There is no way to make an illegally imported gun legal.

fmf_corpsman
11-24-2010, 20:09
First of all, Ed would know if the gun was imported legally. He has access to all the numbers.
Second of all, if the gun is not legal .... it has to be illegal, and subject to forfeiture.

JR,

I am not trying to be rude, and I read your post multiple times to insure I wasnt missing anything.
I specifically stated "After a few minutes on hold he came back and asked me if I had given him the serial number correctly and I repeated it for him. He then told me he had no record of that serial number". So Ed doesnt have access to all the numbers. Ed may have access to all the numbers that are here through Glock, or they may only have them starting from a certain date.

There are other ways of bringing weapons into the country than through just the manufacturer. If a service member stationed overseas(not deployed), or an employee of a 3 letter agency purchases a weapon overseas, fills out the proper documentation and files it through BATF there isn't a way to bring a weapon in?

I kind of figured that if they werent legal, they were illegal, which is the main reason I came to this website. To try to get some information regarding this.

FYI: There is no way to make an illegally imported gun legal.

Maybe I took your response the wrong way, and if so I aplologize, it just seemed like you were talking to me like I was completely ignorant concerning handguns.

JR
12-19-2010, 20:04
No offence taken.
Yes there are other was to import a gun into the US however there is a well established channel in Smyrna GA. The guys at GI have a handle on it for sure. Ed should have been able to report the number to Glock Austria. They would know the distributor the gun was shipped to in seconds.
Maybe this is a rock you don’t want to look under? No telling what is going to crawl out once you turn it over?