I don't know how Google screwed up Android so horribly... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how Google screwed up Android so horribly...

Fixxer
11-24-2010, 10:24
I migrated from Windows Mobile to Android (Droid X) 6 weeks ago. When I bought the phone, after a half hour of dicking around at Verizon, it had a streak on the screen. OK- get another phone, another half hour dicking around, leave the store, and commence syncing my data to my beautiful new phone...

...except that Google really blew it with the single most fundamental app that any phone should have, the contact database.

HTF do you screw something as basic and important as a contact database? It is almost like an electrician installing a light fixture and NEGLECTING to install a switch to operate it.

I spent a lot of time tweaking my contact information in Outlook- things like account numbers, File As naming, contact photos, birthdays, pretty much everything.

NONE of it is any good in Android. If your contact photos are not square in shape, they will be cropped (actually, they are not imported automatically- pretty much each and every contact in the 400+ list has to be edited manually). If you only have a first name (Mike at ABC Corp)(Mike at DEF Corp), you lose one of them (because stupid Google won't accomodate File As). And you cannot sort your contacts by business name.

All this is bad enough (actually, absolutely pathetically horrible), but Saturday night, 6 weeks to the day, the screen went batpoop crazy and unreadable. Well, I don't have any issues, because I ALWAYS back up my data, right? Wrong.

Apparently, the geniuses at Google decided that a full backup of the entire device somehow only means most of the data for most of the apps- I have been entering bits and pieces of data for an entire day now, and I am nowhere close to having my phone restored. It's a good thing I bought the supposedly best backup software out there.

There is a lot of things I like about this phone. Unfortunately, Google blew it hardcore with their software offering. They should literally be ashamed at their sorry excuse for a product. I still can't believe they screwed up the contact software so badly.

IMHO.

Drjones
11-24-2010, 18:25
Man, that sucks and sorry for your troubles.

FWIW, I've never been really impressed with Android. It's like iPhone but way more lame... ;)

Anyhow, Apple sure seems to be the king at leaving stuff out; what did it take, like 3 versions of iOS until we got simple copy & paste?? :upeyes:

Any chance you could trade that in, switch to AT&T & get an iPhone? :supergrin:

StuntPilot
11-24-2010, 22:02
Sorry you are having so much trouble. I have an android phone, and actually like it. But I used Gmail for my contacts, so it was an easy sync.

This link has a procedure to transfer your contacts to the droid, and the poster does mention correct contact photo transfers.

http://androidforums.com/droid-how-tips/37458-bypass-gmail-outlook-contacts-into-moto-droid-direct.html

Hope it helps.

MySiK26
12-05-2010, 14:39
Sorry you are having so much trouble. I have an android phone, and actually like it. But I used Gmail for my contacts, so it was an easy sync.

This link has a procedure to transfer your contacts to the droid, and the poster does mention correct contact photo transfers.

http://androidforums.com/droid-how-tips/37458-bypass-gmail-outlook-contacts-into-moto-droid-direct.html

Hope it helps.

With my blackberry I had synced my contacts with my Gmail account. When I switched over to the DroidX, and signed into Gmail for the first time, it automatically synced all my 400+ contacts to the new device....

sorry to hear about your headaches with the contacts situation!

Weiser 878
12-13-2010, 11:29
I think your problem is Outlook.
When I tried to sync my iPhone to it I had the same problem.

Switched to Gmail and it was all fixed