Torrents [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Torrents

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 13:51
It's time I learned how to use torrents. I downloaded Halite, and can't even figure out how to use it! How to search for a file? Or, are there easier clients? How does this work? I'm looking for Roy Orbison's Black and White Night specifically.

arodgers
11-24-2010, 14:15
I've always used uTorrent for Mac and Windows (and I've never even heard of the one you mentioned...). PM sent for other questions.

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 14:21
Found a file and figured out how to get it started downloading. I just herad that it's faster than other ways. I'm not sure how it works, but it's d/l at 370kb now. I can d/l a 700mb file like Ubuntu from their site at 620kb, so not sure what this slow d/l is all about. Most likely it's that I don't know what I'm doing. :supergrin:

Angry Fist
11-24-2010, 14:23
You might get a nice letter from your ISP sometime regarding copyright infringement.... :whistling:

AFAIK, it is quasi-illegal(?)

GIockGuy24
11-24-2010, 14:24
I've used uTorrent in the past but I found Vuze and like it better. I'm not very good at using any of them but I can usually get them to work somewhat.

GIockGuy24
11-24-2010, 14:26
The slow downloads are due to those uploading the downloads and also due to router settings which I'm not very good at doing.

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 14:28
You might get a nice letter from your ISP sometime regarding copyright infringement.... :whistling:

AFAIK, it is quasi-illegal(?)
Oh, I love conversing with the boys in the copyright dept. :supergrin:

arodgers
11-24-2010, 14:31
With bittorrent you aren't downloading the file from a central server, you're downloading the file from everyone else that is downloading, and everyone that has finished downloading. The slow speeds are most likely due to the number of seeders, as Roy Orbison isn't as popular these days...

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 14:32
With bittorrent you aren't downloading the file from a central server, you're downloading the file from everyone else that is downloading, and everyone that has finished downloading. The slow speeds are most likely due to the number of seeders, as Roy Orbison isn't as popular these days...
Poor Roy.

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 14:33
The slow downloads are due to those uploading the downloads and also due to router settings which I'm not very good at doing.
I've got a port open in the router forwarded to the app. Seems to be working okay. I'm sitting and watching. :wavey:

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 14:36
It shows Peers 2(2) Seeders 10(11)

GIockGuy24
11-24-2010, 14:39
I've got a port open in the router forwarded to the app. Seems to be working okay. I'm sitting and watching. :wavey:

Your download speed sounds faster than my internet connection. Also it's usually best to set the bit torrent program to "download with encryption" or "use encryption" whatever your program calls it. It doesn't completely hide the files from your ISP but it can help download speed somehow but I forget why it is exactly. I usually only download Linux CD/DVD's or small books/manuals. I don't use my computer for music or movies.

GlockerMike
11-24-2010, 14:44
I saw an encryption option, I'll go set it when I'm done. Thanks!

GIockGuy24
11-24-2010, 15:38
Port forwarding is the router setting term I was trying to remember.

MavsX
11-26-2010, 21:55
also keep in mind lots of torrents are loaded with spyware and malware...seriously.

if you have the ability to run virtual machines, run the torrents in that..then if your computer gets wacked up it's contained in the virtual machine..then you just load a previously made snap shot..and bam..malware gone

GlockerMike
11-26-2010, 22:01
Too late. I single-handedly brought the Department of Homeland Security down on the web. Run for your lives.

MavsX
11-26-2010, 23:02
thats not gonna be good for business.