EMP-proof vehicle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EMP-proof vehicle

access1
11-24-2010, 15:48
Hello,

Is it true that even vehicles which were not running at the time of an EMP event will also be affected?

Also, what would be considered an EMP-proof vehicle? I assume something old enough that it doesn't have EFI, electronic alternator etc and can run on some type of bio-diesel fuel that you can make?

Any ideas on particular year, make, model vehicles that would fit the bill?

thanks very much,
Jeff

JC Refuge
11-25-2010, 08:15
I'm afraid this isn't an easy, black and white issue, though many ARE certain that most any EMP will fry modern society from top to bottom.

Fact is, of course, there's more we DON'T know about this scenario than what we do know. Variables such as size and type of the electronic/electrical pulse, proximity, and specific construction and make-up of various vehicles and appliances will go into determining end results.

So I can't give you a hard and fast answer. I've followed arguments between engineers and government employees who have been integral to the issue in tests Uncle Sam has conducted. Some say the danger is unproven and overblown.

Anyway, your question about a vehicle that may be advisable to have on hand for a worst-case EMP event ...

I suggest looking over this pretty comprehensive letter from a Survivalblog reader who likes older Chevy 4x4s:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/07/older_chevy_4x4s_the_ideal_emp.html