M&P 45 or Taurus 24/7 OSS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 or Taurus 24/7 OSS

ChicagoZman
11-25-2010, 00:01
I know this is risky to ask in a S&W section of the forums, but here goes..I'm a Glock fan (big time) and also love 1911s. I would love a .45 in a striker-fired format but cannot abide the size of the grip of the G21 (even the SF is too big).

Working in firearms retail, I get to handle everything and absolutely love the way the M&P and Taurus 24/7 OSS fit in my hand. They both just feel great.

I'm leaning towards the M&P, but have noticed that most have absolutely terrible triggers when new (based on my dry-firing most every M&P that comes through the shop). They fell like somebody ground up glass and spread it over the internals of the gun. In looking at a field stripped gun I think I know why this is happening. I believe the engagement angle of the vertical extension of the trigger bar against the firing pin safety is a little too severe but that it should probably smooth out with use, but I'm not certain. Also not interested in taking any kind of machine to the internals on a new firearm.

The Taurus has a very crisp SA trigger pull and a very short reset. It also has a smooth DA option and re-strike capability, which I like in theory but am not sure about in practice.

So my question is...which one and why? Not interested in Taurus bashing about customer service as I am very familiar and comfortable with the customer service provided by both manufacturers. Also not worried about fit and finish as I get to examine the product before I take delivery. What I am interested in is your experience with the trigger on the M&P (does it smooth out and how long does it take) and if anybody here has owned BOTH guns and what their experience has been with each.

MSgt Dotson
11-25-2010, 08:30
Bought my M&P45 (with ambi-safety, no mag safety/no lock) in Dec 2007, and it has been flawless, although one of it's included mags was a bit of a bear to fit 10 rounds into initially. After a week of leaving it loaded to between 9 and ten rounds, it broke in quickly....

I'd guess-timate my trigger at 5 lbs after 1,000-2,000 rounds use....; perfectly useable. The pistol has light recoil, and it's grip angle/reach to trigger are superb, IMO.....

I'd choose it over the Taurus, personally....

G33
11-25-2010, 09:27
Very pleased with the M&P .45s.
Glock G21 is big for me also.

No experience with that Taurus.
Have seen them in shops.
:wavey:

ChicagoZman
11-26-2010, 22:00
Thanks! Spent some time today looking at two M&P 45s. One new with a gritty trigger and one slightly used with smoother feel (less grit). Thinking that the used gun and a few hundred rounds will smooth it out. May take the plunge tomorrow.

10mmFeeder
12-06-2010, 18:18
I realize I'm a little late, but I've owned both so I'll chime in.

The grip of the Taurus is ugly, but extremely comfortable. The Taurus also holds two more rounds. It can also be carried with the striker cocked or decocked, safety on or off.

The M&P has more aftermarket parts and is more aesthetically pleasing.

Accuracy difference was negligable, if any at all.

I still have the Taurus. I got rid of the M&P. With that said, I will buy another but in 9mm.

The Taurus is also cheaper. Most will say get the Smith simply based on reputation. They are both great guns and you can't go wrong. But you have to make your own choice because most will lean toward the M&P, so shoot them both and decide for yourself. Let us know, I'm intersted in what you choose.

The Taurus is a very underrated pistol that shoots well and has very nice features for the price. The M&P has proven itself as a great weapon. Can't go wrong....You could always get them both, funds allowing of course.

S. Kelly
12-07-2010, 21:18
S&W M&P45. The only M&P I own and like.

bac1023
12-09-2010, 11:35
I would definitely go with S&W.

smith10
12-11-2010, 12:34
Smith over taurus.

walkin' trails
12-12-2010, 16:55
My M&P 45's been good. Don't know about the Taurus. The out of box trigger on mine must have either been an exception from the get-go, or I really don't know what a good trigger is cause mine has been relatively crip although not quite as light as a Glock 5.5. If it had been really bad crap, I wouldn't have bought it hoping it would smooth out.

ChicagoZman
12-13-2010, 10:51
OK, so have the 24/7 OSS now and thinking I should just bite the bullet and get the M&P also. The Taurus feels and shoots great, but I am having issues with the sights. Its shooting low for me. Yeah, I know that it might be my trigger finger, but as an instructor I'm thinking otherwise as it also shoot low for everybody else that tries it, including other instructors.

Still not sure about the M&P trigger, as I still haven't dry fired one that didn't feel like sand in the mechanism, but I think I can work that out with repetitions.

Thanks for the input.

RH45
12-25-2010, 19:16
Dan Burwell has instrutions on his site to clean up the trigger, or send the gun to Dan and tell him exactly what you want.

I dropped in a "competition" kit from Apex, and have a smooth, 36 oz pull. I believe they have kits for heavier triggers also.

BadAndy
12-26-2010, 19:55
The gritty feel in the trigger can be fixed in a few minutes with the striker block from Apex Tactical. You will be very impressed with how much better the trigger feels!

I hope you have better luck with the OSS than I had with mine. The guide rod screw came undone while I was at the range one day and the mags (even with new ones from Taurus) kept causing rounds to nose dive. Aside from those issues (had the mag issues with a PT145 and 24/7 Pro .45) the grip on Taurus' are amazingly comfortable and the triggers are pretty smooth.

TSAX
01-03-2011, 04:46
If your not going with the G21, the M&P 45 is a good choice. Maybe you could look at the XD45 it is in the same price range and I love mine.

ducati
01-08-2011, 12:39
Why would you mention the Taurus? My crack(gun) dealer won't stock the semis. Way to many complaints.

s0nspark
01-10-2011, 08:00
I wholeheartedly second the nod to Apex Tactical's Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid16.html) ... the trigger out of the box on both my M&P9FS and M&P9C left a lot to be desired. I installed the D/CAEK on both (and I am no gunsmith!) and could not be more pleased...

Highly recommended!