Recommendations on a reasonably priced stainless 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a reasonably priced stainless 1911?

tnstaafl
11-25-2010, 09:41
Hi - I have a Firestorm 1911 (now sold as American Classic) deluxe model. I really like the gun, and for the money, the fit and finish and performance is great. I think it cost me just under $400 a couple of years ago.

I've always wanted a full sized stainless 1911 - not looking for a high-end collectable, just a reliable, solid shooter. American Classic came out with a hard chrome model, and I'm sure that they're great guns, but the finish isn't what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations on a stainless 1911 in the $500 range? I've seen Springfields and Rock Islands in that price range - any specific suggestions?

Thanks!

Quack
11-25-2010, 09:44
are you looking for a matte stainless or brushed stainless?

bac1023
11-25-2010, 09:51
RIA (Armscor) doesn't make a stainless 1911, as far as I know.

bac1023
11-25-2010, 09:58
How about the Thompson Custom?

Its a well done one at that. However, they're a little north of $500.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_3696.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_3693.jpg

tnstaafl
11-25-2010, 10:21
Probably looking a brushed stainless - not a nickel plated looking kind of gun, but not the hard chrome finish in the American Classics.

bac1023
11-25-2010, 10:47
The Springfield GI has a brushed stainless finish.

FM12
11-25-2010, 23:16
Smith & Wesson sku 108284. Thank me later.

bac1023
11-26-2010, 04:53
Smith & Wesson sku 108284. Thank me later.

He said $500 or under. They run about $900.

oldman101946
11-26-2010, 05:08
My opinion for what it may be worth.

Buy USED. You get a nicer gun at a lower price.

While I do agree with buying the S&W suggested above, I disagree with buying a Springer. I own several brands and find the S&W to be as good as my custom guns.

Save up, use credit cards or what ever, but a cheap gun just for the purpose of having a full size 1911 will not make you happy and will be difficult to sell when you decide to upgrade.

Just as the people saying that "money is not everything" are those that have never had money, those that suggest the cheaper guns have never owned the nicer guns. The price of Springers is all over the place. I picked one up at a pawnshop used a while back for $200 in good shape but it fails to come close to the S&W, Remington, Browning or any of the quality makers in performance. I only bought another Springer to have for the investment and will sell it in the future for a small profit.

bac1023
11-26-2010, 05:18

While I do agree with buying the S&W suggested above, I disagree with buying a Springer. I own several brands and find the S&W to be as good as my custom guns.

Save up, use credit cards or what ever, but a cheap gun just for the purpose of having a full size 1911 will not make you happy and will be difficult to sell when you decide to upgrade.

Just as the people saying that "money is not everything" are those that have never had money, those that suggest the cheaper guns have never owned the nicer guns. The price of Springers is all over the place. I picked one up at a pawnshop used a while back for $200 in good shape but it fails to come close to the S&W, Remington, Browning or any of the quality makers in performance. I only bought another Springer to have for the investment and will sell it in the future for a small profit.

"Springer" is capable of building 1911s far better than any of those you listed.

Also, which custom guns do you own that are no better than a standard SW1911? My guess is they aren't very good customs. :whistling:

Are they something you did in the garage? :dunno:

steve4102
11-26-2010, 06:54
My son has a Para GI Expert in stainless. I think he paid just under $600 total. It's a nice gun, but the fit and finish is certainly nothing to brag about. It's just a plain old $600 stainless 1911. Runs flawlessly with everything including LSWC and is extremely accurate.

bac1023
11-26-2010, 06:59
Yeah, I forgot about the GI Expert stainless. I have the original carbon steel version. For a Para, its not a bad gun.

PlayboyPenguin
11-26-2010, 08:08
Does it have to be new or is used acceptable? Pristine or are you willing to do a little buff and fluff? Stainless is extremely easy to restore so you can often save a fortune buying a gun with a few cosmetic defects and repairing it.

tnstaafl
11-26-2010, 08:21
Used would be accaptable, sure - not sure that I'm the best guy to evaluate a used gun, but I guess I could get a buddy that does a lot of buying and selling of used guns to look it over for me.

As far as the "buff and fluff" - besides a detail strip and a good cleaning, in general, what's the procedure for refinishing a stainless steel gun?

Are the same cleaning solutions I use on my Glocks (Gunscrubber, carb cleaner, CLP) OK to use on a stainless steel gun?

What type of brush to use on the exterior - an old toothbrush?

And how can I tell with a visual examination what types of flaws in the SS finish are permanent and what'll clean up with a buff and fluff?

Thanks again.

Joe

PlayboyPenguin
11-26-2010, 08:41
Used would be accaptable, sure - not sure that I'm the best guy to evaluate a used gun, but I guess I could get a buddy that does a lot of buying and selling of used guns to look it over for me.

As far as the "buff and fluff" - besides a detail strip and a good cleaning, in general, what's the procedure for refinishing a stainless steel gun? And how can I tell with a visual examination what types of flaws in the SS finish are permanent and what'll clean up with a buff and fluff?

Thanks again.

Joe
Small nicks and scratches are usually pretty easy to remove on the flats. In non-vital areas larger dings can be repaired. It is all pretty case-by-case. The good thing is that most people do not wear out a gun. If it is only on it's second or third owner a quality gun has usually just started to live it's life. They tend to suffer more from bumps and bruises at that stage of their lives than they do any serious conditions.

The pics below show some minor repairs I have done and you can click HERE (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1071531) to see a more extensive refinish I did of an old Detonics MC1.

Damaged dustcover

Before
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Dustcoverbefore.jpg

After
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Dustcoverafter.jpg

Nicks in body

Before
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Various/nicks.jpg

After
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Various/de-nicked.jpg

Idiot mark and nicks on frame

Before
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Misc/CO2.jpg

After

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Misc/CO4.jpg

tnstaafl
11-26-2010, 10:26
WOW - what a difference !!! If you're not a professional refinisher, would you care to share some insights into your technique an the matereials you use? If you're a professional, please PM me with an address and contact number. Thanks!

PlayboyPenguin
11-26-2010, 10:35
WOW - what a difference !!! If you're not a professional refinisher, would you care to share some insights into your technique an the matereials you use? If you're a professional, please PM me with an address and contact number. Thanks!

I am not a professional. Believe it or not, all you need is some sandpaper and a lot of free time. Hand shaping and refinishing is time consuming but it is pretty easy.

remat
11-26-2010, 12:49
I disagree with buying a Springer. I own several brands and find the S&W to be as good as my custom guns.

Very strong statement. Which S&W do you own and which customs are you comparing it to?

Save up, use credit cards or what ever, but a cheap gun just for the purpose of having a full size 1911 will not make you happy and will be difficult to sell

The amount of parts and customizations for 1911's is unmatched. I would recommend the opposite -- buy what you can afford and upgrade later. Your opinion of what is wanted vs needed may change as you use it.

Just as the people saying that "money is not everything" are those that have never had money, those that suggest the cheaper guns have never owned the nicer guns.

That's a pretty generic statement and a big assumption.

The price of Springers is all over the place. I picked one up at a pawnshop used a while back for $200 in good shape but it fails to come close to the S&W, Remington, Browning or any of the quality makers in performance.

Well, of the non-Springer brands you listed S&W is the only one that even makes a pistol that meets the OP's criteria of stainless 1911. :)

bac1023
11-26-2010, 13:29
Very strong statement. Which S&W do you own and which customs are you comparing it to?

I found that a funny statement too.

Must be some lousy customs. :whistling:

Magus
11-26-2010, 14:08
Springfield would probably be your best bet.

Stainless GI model is pretty good for what it is. Had one and traded it out...wish I hadn't.

You could step up to the Springfield Mil-Spec in stainless...slightly out of your price range though.

MajorD
11-26-2010, 14:23
might be able to find a used colt 1991 a1 stainless used at a good price

bobtail1911
11-26-2010, 16:08
The GI mil-specs are great guns in that price range and they do meet the criteria stated here. You could buy a slightly used one for under $500 and chances are that any problems you MIGHT have that Springfield would talk care of. Great starting gun IMO...
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

tnstaafl
11-26-2010, 18:26
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

tnhawk
11-26-2010, 18:53
A Springfield Armory pistol with a lifetime warranty would be worth consideration. Their customer service is good from what I've read. None of my SA pistols have been a problem however.

bac1023
11-27-2010, 06:21
A Springfield Armory pistol with a lifetime warranty would be worth consideration. Their customer service is good from what I've read. None of my SA pistols have been a problem however.
They do have good CS.

glock2740
11-27-2010, 11:04
How about the Thompson Custom?

Its a well done one at that. However, they're a little north of $500.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_3696.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_3693.jpg
I like that alot. Do you have a link to their website? Finally a cheaper 1911 with a checkered frontstrap. How does it shoot? And what kind of reliability do they have?

Brass Nazi
11-27-2010, 11:54
might be able to find a used colt 1991 a1 stainless used at a good price

I picked up a used Series 80 government a few years ago for $600. It had an idiot scratch but otherwise was in very good shape. If you are willing to wait you can find good deals on Colts.

bac1023
11-27-2010, 12:46
I like that alot. Do you have a link to their website? Finally a cheaper 1911 with a checkered frontstrap. How does it shoot? And what kind of reliability do they have?

Joe, mine has been great. I got it a couple years back.

The checkering is beautifully done and the gun was less than $650.

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1TH_c.html

custom2
11-27-2010, 15:57
Buy a used Kimber Stainless II. Awesome gun. I bought one for 660 new in 2004. With inflation and demand 6 years later, you could possibly find a used one for 500-575 depending on condition.

A used Kimber should be everyone's first 1911.

Cobra64
11-27-2010, 16:47

We're on our second Springer.

http://www.breederretriever.com/photopost/data/613/springer_puppy.jpg

bac1023
11-27-2010, 17:05
:rofl::rofl:

AZ Husker
11-27-2010, 18:27
Reasonably priced? The stainless Wilson Protector I got for $1800 was reasonably priced. What you want is an inexpensive gun. World of difference.

bac1023
11-27-2010, 18:29
Reasonably priced? The stainless Wilson Protector I got for $1800 was reasonably priced. What you want is an inexpensive gun. World of difference.

Yeah, I guess $500 doesn't give you much to work with in the 1911 world. ;)

tnstaafl
12-01-2010, 08:27
There's nothing on the S&Ws web site less than $1,200 - way outta my price range.

I like PlayboyPenguin's "buff and fluff" approach - I may focus on looking for a used, beater stainless that I can work on.

Thanks for all of the insight, guys.

bac1023
12-01-2010, 08:37
There's nothing on the S&Ws web site less than $1,200 - way outta my price range.

S&Ws sell way under MSRP.

Its not unheard of to get them $400 below list.

FM12
12-01-2010, 09:20
Check www.gunbroker.com and look for a good used S&W. I bought my second off there, used for $600 + shipping. outstanding pistols for me!!

tnstaafl
12-01-2010, 09:48
That's still in the $700 => $800 price range - I'm just a poor single Father with three kids that doesn't get any child support - and I have a very demanding girlfriend, too.

I think I'm gonna look for a beater stainless gun and work on it as a project gun.

bac1023
12-01-2010, 10:03
I think I'm gonna look for a beater stainless gun and work on it as a project gun.

Nothing wrong with that.

Just get a Springfield GI or Mil-Spec.

PlayboyPenguin
12-01-2010, 10:40
That's still in the $700 => $800 price range - I'm just a poor single Father with three kids that doesn't get any child support - and I have a very demanding girlfriend, too.

I think that is a great idea. You get a nice gun, you get to learn the mechanics of said gun, you get to practice some cosmetic work, and you get the pride of owning a gun you restored yourself. I have owned some very expensive guns in my day (I have one hand-me-down that is worth more than my car), but the ones I value the most are the ones I restore myself.

I posted some pics from the restoration I did to a real beater of a Detonics last year. I hope it gives you an idea as to what can be accomplished. Just CLICK HERE (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289922) to see the thread and pics. :)

tnstaafl
12-04-2010, 06:50
Nice work, Playboy - now, if I can just find a beater gun to use as a starting point.

Thanks!

Joe