Decided to get suppressors, need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decided to get suppressors, need help

Haldor
11-25-2010, 17:29
OK, I have decided to get myself a .22 and 9mm suppressor for Christmas. I am a newby at this and I need to figure out the best choices. I am looking for advice.

.22: I have a Ruger Mark II, along with a .22 rifle (Marlin Papoose) that I would like to suppress. I know the Ruger is available with an integral suppressor, but that means I can't use it with the rifle. What would be a good option to use with both the Ruger and the Papoose? Can I get a threaded barrel for the Ruger or should I have the existing barrel threaded. My Ruger is the slim profile 6" SS version.

9mm: I would be using this with a Glock G26 and possible a G34 (I am thinking about getting one of these also). I assume a threaded Lone Wolf barrel is the best solution for these. Is this a valid assumption?

I want to be able to clean/dismantle the cans myself.

How do sights work with a pistol suppressor? Do any suppressors permit you to use your existing sights?

I am not looking for a Hollywood quiet suppressor, what I am looking for is something that works reliably and is not a pain to use. I am hoping to keep the total price (including tax stamps) for the two suppressors and threaded barrels under $1500. Is this realistic?

I would also like to go the trust route so I can put my family members on the trust. Any gotchas to this choice?

DustyJacket
11-25-2010, 18:00
go to silencertalk.com and root around and do searches.
Your answers are there.

Haldor
11-25-2010, 19:10
Thanks, I have been looking on NFATalk.org also.

One thing that intrigued me is that some of the 9mm suppressors had the same or better performance on .22 as the dedicated .22 cans.

The 9mm Gemtech Multimount in particular was near the top for sound suppression on .22 LR. Perhaps I should just get a decent 9mm suppressor for both applications? I realize the 9mm can is going to be larger than a dedicated .22 can will be.

I also saw several comments about functional issues with suppressed G26 pistols, especially with subsonic ammo (147g). I am thinking pretty hard about getting a G34 anyways, perhaps I should just skip the G26 barrel to start with.

P.S. I saw your add to sell your Gemtech Multimount (at least I think it was yours). What is your opinion of the MultiMount?

BobbyT
11-25-2010, 19:15
To make a suppressor worthwhile you want to stay subsonic, and with your velocity capped you might as well go with the heaviest round possible so you don't end up with a BB gun.

Solution? Glock in .50 GI, and AR in .50 Beowulf. If you don't want to pony up for those, at least go with a .45 (230 vs. 147 gr @ 1000 fps).

DustyJacket
11-25-2010, 23:42
What is your opinion of the MultiMount?

It is nice and veratile. I am using it on an Ar pistol now. I have not compared it to other 9mm cans, but it is one of the quietest.

Using .22 in a non-takeapart can will allow lead and crud to accumulate.

You are better off having a .22 can you can take apart and clean. I like the design of the sparrow.

If I had to do it all again, I would have started with a .22 can - cheap and quiet.

BTW -.45ACP cans are pretty noisy. There are only 1 or 2 that are hearing safe when dry.

Liquid
11-26-2010, 18:25
when i was in your shoes based on my research i went with an evo and a spectre. another option for 9mm is the osprey, i have one pending. if i was going to add a can to my 26 i would look into getting a g19 barrel threaded.

Haldor
11-27-2010, 10:03
Thanks for the info.

I picked up a G17 yesterday and ordered a Lone Wolf threaded barrel for it.

I have an offer from another kind member of GT who lives in the same area to try out a couple of .22 and 9mm cans. I can't wait.

I am still undecided on the best way to go. I have a 9mm carbine so the Multi-Mount still seems like a decent choice. One question in my mind is if the Multi-Mount is too bulky or heavy for pistol use.

Sounds like I have more research to do.

Cost is not the overriding issue. I have budgeted $1000 total for the can (including tax stamp). Hopefully this will get me a decent can. I seriously doubt if I will be able to get both a .22 and a 9mm can worth having for that so I am going to have to pick one or the other.

Are any of the decent 9mm cans designed to be user disassembled and cleaned?

Haldor
11-27-2010, 10:04
when i was in your shoes based on my research i went with an evo and a spectre. another option for 9mm is the osprey, i have one pending. if i was going to add a can to my 26 i would look into getting a g19 barrel threaded.

Just curious, why do that instead of getting a threaded Lone Wolf barrel for my G26?

UZIFORME
11-28-2010, 02:34
Just curious, why do that instead of getting a threaded Lone Wolf barrel for my G26?

Some people thing Glock barrels need to be black, not stainless, and you give up the Polygonal rifling by not going with a Glock factory barrel.

If this does not matter to you then carry on.

I know of no decent 9mm silencer for a handgun that comes apart.

The Multi Mount is a larger subgun silencer adapted to fit a handgun as opposed to a handgun sized silencer.

DustyJacket
11-28-2010, 07:16
One question in my mind is if the Multi-Mount is too bulky or heavy for pistol use.
Nope. It works just fine. (If I were byung a 9mm can today, and did NOT want to use it on a fixed barrel, like an AR, I would look seriously at the Silencerco Osprey.)

My MM on pistols and such:

http://www.dustyjacket.com/shooting/p229-1.jpg

http://www.dustyjacket.com/shooting/mm_m9.jpg

http://www.dustyjacket.com/shooting/rra_lar9.jpg

RED64CJ5
11-28-2010, 07:29
I'm going to offer a suggestion that I'm sure some "Expert" will balk at....

For the G26 or G17, you should look at the AWC Abraxas suppressor. It is not the quietest on the market, but it is awfully small. It will compare in size to a decent .22 can. You can run it "dry" and it will not be "silent" but very suppressed. You can also run it "Wet" with a little white lithium grease (or water) and it will compare to any of the more popular 9mm cans.

The reasons I like it:
1. Size - it allows you to use your pistols sites easily
2. No need for a Neilson device which adds to size of the can
3. It was designed for Glocks in mind for the military
4. Size - again, small, and not a huge bulky can like the big boys

Just remember you might not be able to shoot WWB or 115gr bullets out of the 9mm's... Most of us use 147gr bullets with our cans to achieve the quietness.

As for .22 cans, there are lots of good ones. For the Ruger Mark II I would HIGHLY suggest you look at pre-threaded Tactical Solutions uppers. It is like buying another pistol in terms of cost, but the Pac-Lite uppers are super light, super tight, and come ready for your can. So basically you have to buy a Pac-Lite plus a suppressor... It's more versatile than buying something like a Gemtech Oasis upper for your pistol.

I have Gemtech Outback II, and YHM Mite cans for my .22's.

RED64CJ5
11-28-2010, 07:30
Oh and on cleaning... How did you intend to clean it?

They may be able to be dissasembled, but have you researched what it takes to really remove the carbon buildup?

Draven21
12-04-2010, 10:27
Are any of the decent 9mm cans designed to be user disassembled and cleaned?
There is only one as of now. It is the Liberty Mystic http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html. Liberty suppressors are top notch and this one is tough as hell and very easy to clean. The best sealed 9mm suppressors out there are the SWR Trident. AAC Ti-Rant, Silencerco Osprey, and Gemtech Multimount. All are very quiet but suppression varies depending on the host and ammo.

Draven21
12-04-2010, 10:29

For the G26 or G17, you should look at the AWC Abraxas suppressor. It is not the quietest on the market, but it is awfully small. It will compare in size to a decent .22 can. You can run it "dry" and it will not be "silent" but very suppressed. You can also run it "Wet" with a little white lithium grease (or water) and it will compare to any of the more popular 9mm cans

I wouldn't call above hearing safe very quiet.

Bravo 1
12-04-2010, 14:37

For the G26 or G17, you should look at the AWC Abraxas suppressor. It is not the quietest on the market, but it is awfully small. It will compare in size to a decent .22 can. You can run it "dry" and it will not be "silent" but very suppressed. You can also run it "Wet" with a little white lithium grease (or water) and it will compare to any of the more popular 9mm cans.

The reasons I like it:
1. Size - it allows you to use your pistols sites easily
2. No need for a Neilson device which adds to size of the can
3. It was designed for Glocks in mind for the military
4. Size - again, small, and not a huge bulky can like the big boys

Just remember you might not be able to shoot WWB or 115gr bullets out of the 9mm's... Most of us use 147gr bullets with our cans to achieve the quietness.

As for .22 cans, there are lots of good ones. For the Ruger Mark II I would HIGHLY suggest you look at pre-threaded Tactical Solutions uppers. It is like buying another pistol in terms of cost, but the Pac-Lite uppers are super light, super tight, and come ready for your can. So basically you have to buy a Pac-Lite plus a suppressor... It's more versatile than buying something like a Gemtech Oasis upper for your pistol.

I have Gemtech Outback II, and YHM Mite cans for my .22's.

Well,,,you certainly do have a penchant for loud cans that is for sure.
With the exception of the Oasis the other two are just loud.

Stay away from AWC unless you like paying entirely too much for an 80's tech, overweight boat anchor that works okay.There are much better cans out there for less money and BS.

Use the dip on anything you cannot take apart and is NOT aluminum.

Buy a great can instead of trying to be cheap. You will have it forever and a crap can will leave a hollow feeling that will make you sick when you think about how long it took to get a crap can that saved you a few bucks, oh, and that you won't be able to get rid of either.

Haldor
12-05-2010, 08:35
There is only one as of now. It is the Liberty Mystic http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html. Liberty suppressors are top notch and this one is tough as hell and very easy to clean. The best sealed 9mm suppressors out there are the SWR Trident. AAC Ti-Rant, Silencerco Osprey, and Gemtech Multimount. All are very quiet but suppression varies depending on the host and ammo.

Thompson Machine has a new 9mm can (Isis) coming out that is similar to the Multimount with interchangable mounts. Bonus is it disassembles for cleaning. It is a monoblock design and has a very attractive price. List prices are supposed to be under $400 for the can, $150 for the recoil boost mount, and $50 for the 3 lug or fixed threaded mounts. Promised availability is in January 2011. I am seriously considering buying this can.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/Isis.jpg

Chuche2
12-05-2010, 08:48
Check out www.hi-desertdog.com (http://www.hi-desertdog.com) I have made severall purchases from them.

Liquid
12-05-2010, 18:53

i would just prefer to keep it 100 percent glock. there is nothing wrong going with another brand. for my 17 i got a good deal on a threaded after market barrel vs getting a 17L barrel threaded.

Bravo 1
12-06-2010, 14:09
I use a LWB threaded bbl on my G17/Trident 9 combo.

Does the same thing as the ones that cost twice as much.

I know because I have several of those too,:whistling:

Draven21
12-06-2010, 19:13
Thompson Machine has a new 9mm can (Isis) coming out that is similar to the Multimount with interchangable mounts. Bonus is it disassembles for cleaning. It is a monoblock design and has a very attractive price. List prices are supposed to be under $400 for the can, $150 for the recoil boost mount, and $50 for the 3 lug or fixed threaded mounts. Promised availability is in January 2011. I am seriously considering buying this can.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh168/HaldorPhil/Guns/Isis.jpg
Definitely wait for it to be tested. I can't find any info about it on their website but I am guessing it is not all stainless and/or titanium like the mystic which is nice. I love that my spectre is stainless so I can bead blast the baffles clean or soak them in the dip or whatever. The mystic takes the same mounts as the mulimount. It is also strong enough to be used on .223.:wow:

Draven21
12-06-2010, 19:13
I use a LWB threaded bbl on my G17/Trident 9 combo.

Does the same thing as the ones that cost twice as much.
+1 <-see avatar

rekcolg
12-08-2010, 12:22
Where would one look to purchase tall sights that would allow you to get a pretty good site picture on the Glock?

Careby
12-08-2010, 13:21
Where would one look to purchase tall sights that would allow you to get a pretty good site picture on the Glock?

I bought Ameriglo GL-329 Suppressor Sights for my Glock 17. They are typical tritium night sights, but tall enough to clear most suppressors. In my case a Gemtech Multimount.

To my ear the Multimount seems noticeably quieter on the Glock than on a 9mm AR-15. Probably partly because the AR-15 bolt opens more quickly allowing sound to escape from the ejection port, and partly because the pistol is farther from my ears when shooting.

rekcolg
12-08-2010, 14:25
Just what I needed, thanks.