screen saver question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : screen saver question

wallyglock
11-26-2010, 09:05
it shouldnt make any difference i suppose , but i have the screen saver that lets the rolling objects change shape..... round to square , oblong etc.

about once or twice a week the screen saver will " freeze " and i have to re boot my computer to put it back to normal . all seems to work ok with the re start .

just was wondering what might be causing this ? :dunno:

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2010, 09:13
it shouldnt make any difference i suppose , but i have the screen saver that lets the rolling objects change shape..... round to square , oblong etc.

about once or twice a week the screen saver will " freeze " and i have to re boot my computer to put it back to normal . all seems to work ok with the re start .

just was wondering what might be causing this ? :dunno:

Once a week?.. that's gonna be a very hard thing to predict. Have you considered disabling screensaver and just the monitor going to sleep?

Glockdude1
11-26-2010, 09:18
My computer runs faster, smoother (seems like it does) without a screen saver.

:cool:

Pierre!
11-26-2010, 10:55
I have noticed that the Windows Vista and Win7 screen savers will really pump up the heat in your system.

I run SpeedFan to control fans and monitor temperatures. Using this application I am able to keep a pretty good pulse on my system temperatures.

With Vista, I actually had a video card fail due to overheating because of the moving background and/or the wild screen savers.

Windows 7 doesn't seem to be as bad, but it still heats up MY computer when the 'bubbles' or other screen savers are running...

These days I just blank the screens with power management and have the screen saver set to none...

Working for me so far!

HTH...

Sgt. Schultz
11-27-2010, 11:53
about once or twice a week the screen saver will " freeze " and i have to re boot my computer to put it back to normal . all seems to work ok with the re start . Does this mean that you leave your computer running 24/7 and only reboot when it locks up?

I'm with the others, disable the screen saver ... then simply turn off the monitor when you are not using the computer, let us know if the problem persists.

solomansousana
11-27-2010, 12:39
Modern systems really don't need a screen saver as burn in isn't as big an issue as it was back in the day. My setup at home is

1. Incoming T1 line
2. Watchguard firebox hardware firelwall
3. Dell P4 set up as a server with NIS 2011
4. My wife and I each have our own personal desktops and laptops, our desktops are protected even further with the use of an Alpha Shield hardware firewall in addition to NIS 2011 on all our machines.

The server is rebooted once a week while our personal machines are turned off when not in used and power to the desktops is shut off at the power center level.

May sound a little paranoid but it works fine for us, plus, we use an anonymizer service to do our browsing through so we don't have to worry about websites tracking where we go and what we view.

kc8ykd
11-27-2010, 21:24
Does this mean that you leave your computer running 24/7 and only reboot when it locks up?

I'm with the others, disable the screen saver ... then simply turn off the monitor when you are not using the computer, let us know if the problem persists.

personally, i would look at the event logs to see why it's rebooting, it could indicate a hardware problem of some sort, like maybe an ailing video card or a fan that's going bad.

Sgt. Schultz
11-27-2010, 22:06
personally, i would look at the event logs to see why it's rebooting, it could indicate a hardware problem of some sort, like maybe an ailing video card or a fan that's going bad.It's not rebooting ... OP said that he is rebooting it when it locks up, looking at the event logs may help and disabling the screen saver may allow him to actually see what's causing it to lock up ... assuming that it's not the screen saver doing it.