How can MP4 files on a CD be Played on TV? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How can MP4 files on a CD be Played on TV?

dglockster
11-26-2010, 10:17
I have converted two video files from .m2ts to MP4. The MP4 files are on a CD (not a DVD). How do I now get the CD to play the MP4 files on my TV?
Thanks.

Pierre!
11-26-2010, 10:59
You may be able to do the 'movie maker' thing and set them up in a DVD fashion for your DVD player.

If you can connect your computer to the screen, it's a laydown... but I am pretty sure you will need to convert to a DVD format before you can play on your TV...

Hope that sets you in the right direction.

If you post more about equipment you have available we may be able to find a work around for you...

Perhaps you can tell us what interfaces your 'TV' will use, do you have a notebook computer, is HDMI a possible interface to use...

Things like this would really help!

Talk to you soon...

dglockster
11-27-2010, 06:20
The specs for my computer are as follows:
HP dc 7600 Desktop
Intel(R)
Win XP Pro
SP3
Pentium(R) D
CPU 3.40 GHz
3.39 GHz
3GB RAM

Connecting directly to the TV is not an option as this is an older computer and has no HDMI connection.

I have tried Windows Movie Maker but the version on my computer does not recognize the MP4 format. It does recognize avi., mpg., mp2., and .mpeg.

If there is a download that will convert .mt2s to one of these formats, I can try that. I've searched but being a newbie at this, I may be searching in all the wrong places.

Pierre!
11-27-2010, 14:39
Well... this is a big ole can of worms... :supergrin:

If you are working to play your CD of MP4 movies on your TV, I just got to ask:
Does your CD player actually have Video out on it? Or were you just looking for the sound tracks...

The other issue may be that an older CD player won't even see the MP4 audio tracks...

To view these videos on your TV I believe you will have to go with a home brewed DVD format that your DVD player will allow.

So pull out the specs from your DVD player, and start studying.

Then you will need to find a program to convert your MP4's OR, better yet, work to install an MP4 Codec for Windows Movie Maker. You may be in better shape if you can install Windows Live 2011 on your system... the newer Movie Maker may have the MP4 codec built in, but I haven't check my XP virtual box for this yet...

Just my current thoughts... You feeling up to this? This IS how you do learn... have a need and fix it yourself!

Ready?

dglockster
11-27-2010, 22:13
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I just kept experimenting and ended up using Skysoft Media Converter to convert the .m2ts files to .mp4 and then used DVD Flick to make a playable DVD. Apparently, I was wrong about the computer's DVD drive not being able to burn a CD. However, I also burned a CD that would not play via the TV but that plays just fine on the computer.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to help me with this project and teaching an old dog some new tricks.

Pierre!
11-27-2010, 23:20
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I just kept experimenting and ended up using Skysoft Media Converter to convert the .m2ts files to .mp4 and then used DVD Flick to make a playable DVD. Apparently, I was wrong about the computer's DVD drive not being able to burn a CD. However, I also burned a CD that would not play via the TV but that plays just fine on the computer.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to help me with this project and teaching an old dog some new tricks.

No Problem... You did the work, I just pointed you in *various* directions!

When you are able to get a disk to play on the computer, you are getting close! There is a standard method to record for the DVD players we use today. It should be no problem to google up, but post here if you find yourself stuck. I had the 'recipe' years ago, and can't find it now... but I would know it if I saw it!

Good job getting this far!

Talk to you soon!