Remington 1100 feeding problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1100 feeding problem

DRAGON1970
11-26-2010, 22:33
I have an 1100, 18" barrel, extended magazine tube, loading gate...etc. I have been shooting it in 3-gun for about 8 years. Suddenly it does not want to auto-load buckshot or slugs. Works fine with 3 dram birdshot.

This one has got me....1100's usually love heavy loads. Everything is clean, no broken parts.

Any ideas???

Nest
11-26-2010, 23:12
If I remember right 1100s have rubber o-rings on the bolt somewhere. These may be going bad. The higher pressures may be causing more movement in them than lighter loads, thus causing feeding issues with heavy loads.

aippi
11-26-2010, 23:55
Need more info. What is it doing? For example: Is the carrier just not raising up high enough for the breech bolt to pick up the round?

With some more information I may be able to help.

DRAGON1970
11-27-2010, 07:19
The next round from the carrier, is stubbing on the end of the carrier,

byf43
11-27-2010, 08:42
The next round from the carrier, is stubbing on the end of the carrier,

I'd first check the O-ring on the magazine tube to see if it's in good shape.
I'd then inspect the carrier assembly spring and the carrier assembly latch.
The shell latch (proper name??) could be 'hanging up' from some debris getting lodged behind it.

ScrappyDoo
11-27-2010, 11:22
My only experience with a Rem 1100 was one of the original ones... my best friend's (step)Dad is a retired high-ranking LEO [man I guess kids of LEO captain's/chiefs/ettc stick together lol] and he bought for himself a Rem 1100 back when they were fairly new and the hot thing to have... It is a longer barrel, mid to mid+ 20's and real nice wood. That thing shot like a DREAM for a few 100 rounds of mixed birdshot we fed it during an impromptu, hand-thrown-clay session on a labor day? trip to some shotgun range off of 78 in Hunderton, 2008.

I mean we boomed box after box after box with no oil or ANYTHING and it kicked light as a feather (if you could call it kick) and cycled amazingly, as fast as you could pull the trigger and pop em into the magazine. Really an amazing gun, it's what made me want a high quality autoloader.

I am more into the tactical style for my own purchases, but a nice 1100-1187 is on my list of someday stuff.

aippi
11-27-2010, 16:32
I still don't understand "Stubbing". If the carrier is not raising the round high enough for the breech bolt to pick it up then change out the carrier dog follower spring. Maybe the heavier rounds are to heavy for the weak carrier to lift them all the way, also change out the carrier latch spring. It has to be one of these issues and untill you replace those two springs you are not going to be able to figure it out. Once these are replaced then on to the next possible cause if the issue is not resolved. You are not wasting anything as these springs should have been changed out on a weapon that old anyway.

DRAGON1970
11-27-2010, 18:44
Old is right....it was made in 1973.

WiskyT
11-27-2010, 20:14
Could it be a recoil spring issue? Worn recoil spring letting the bolt operate too fast with the stronger loads and not giving the shell time to get into the right position? I'm sure my nomencalture is off, but it might explain why the higher energy rounds aren't cycling.

DRAGON1970
11-27-2010, 20:41
Could it be a recoil spring issue? Worn recoil spring letting the bolt operate too fast with the stronger loads and not giving the shell time to get into the right position? I'm sure my nomencalture is off, but it might explain why the higher energy rounds aren't cycling.

Thanks for the suggestion but that is the first thing I replaced.

DRAGON1970
11-30-2010, 21:03
Once again I must say I am dissapointed in this forum. Ask a serious technical questsion and get a couple half-arse answers.

I have come to the realization there are more gun owners on here than shooters. More people that ask how to clean their guns than those who have valuable knowledge.

byf43
11-30-2010, 21:23
Once again I must say I am dissapointed in this forum. Ask a serious technical questsion and get a couple half-arse answers.

I have come to the realization there are more gun owners on here than shooters. More people that ask how to clean their guns than those who have valuable knowledge.

Care to elaborate on that?

22highcaps
11-30-2010, 21:31

WTF:headscratch:

DRAGON1970
11-30-2010, 22:34
Care to elaborate on that?

Just expected more help from the Remington "expert".

Minnow
12-01-2010, 01:42
Just expected more help from the Remington "expert".

Aippi pointed you in the right direction. If you want more help then why don't you pay the man for his services and let him fix it for you!

msinc
12-01-2010, 07:28
Let me take a whack at this one...you said the round is "stubbing" and were asked several times exactly what "stubbing" is or what it meant. You refused to provide anymore info regarding this term {but you expected more from us!!!} So,I am going to guess {for lack of info from you} that you mean the next available shell is only being pushed partially out of the magazine tube?? That is called partial delivery to the carrier and in a 1100 is generally caused by a weak magazine spring and/or a dirty sticking or binding follower. Maybe a dent in the mag tube itself, or even corrosion on the inside of the magazine. A gas problem like an O-ring issue as mentioned above wont do this, either the bolt strokes the full distance or it dont, the gas system is pretty simple. The carrier itself wont cause this as it only receives and lifts the round and cannot pull it further from the magazine. The recoil or action spring/tube while often troublesome in the 1100/1187 family cannot cause this either, it will make the bolt short stroke or slam hard if the spring is stuck or broken. I suggest a dissassembly of the magazine tube spring and follower and do a good complete and carefull inspection of those components. I typically have to change out three or four magazine tubes a year and I always intall a metal follower. It's a pain to braze on a new tube but it's really not hard. Also have a look at the interceptor latch and its spring, I have never seen one break but I have seen the snap ring come partially off its stud and prevent it from working properly. Good luck and if you still feel dissappointed then I cant help you unless you send me the gun. You can get that stupid little snap ring from most auto parts stores, I never buy them from Remington as they want five times the money. Edit: I have never needed one but Brownell's sells 3 different oversized thickness interceptor snap rings to eliminate wobble.

aippi
12-01-2010, 10:29
I have helped dozens of guys who e-mailed or called. I attempted to find out what your issue was and I can't do that without understanding what the weapon is doing or not doing. You used terms I did not understand and I asked for clarification.

For the record. Semi autos are high maintenance. If you have not changed the carrier latch and carrier dog follower spring in 8 years then that is where to start. $6.40 in springs and your issue could be over. I don't suspect other parts or the damn thing would not feed any ammo.

As for being disappionted in "a remington expert" if you are referring to my attempts to help you then you are way out of line. I can not interpet your own personal terms for firearms fuction. I am factory trainned and work with the same terms and part names the rest of the industry does. "The next round from the carrier is stubbing on the carrier". Man if you expect me to know what that means then yes, you have a right to be dissapointed 'cause that is Greek to me. They did not cover Stubbing at the Remington Factory during my training there.

So you getting fustrated with other trying to help you is understandable, however voiceing that like you did was not cool as the problem was with you not the me or the others that tried to help here.

If you want figure this out, call me at 231-690-0954 and have the weapon in front of you and I will try to talk you through finding the issue.

DRAGON1970
12-01-2010, 11:55
I purhased and changed ALL of the springs in the trigger group. I bought the set along with a new piston set figured it would not hurt. $30 and 1/2 hour of work was worth it. Changed the recoil spring and the barrel seal while I was at it.

I wonder if it is short cycling on the slugs and buck as they are only 1oz loads as opposed to the 1-1/8 oz loads on the heavy game loads.

Gas ports are clean, mag tube is smooth, clean and dry inside and out.

Issue remains.

aippi
12-01-2010, 13:47
Great info. Now you can truely be dissapointed with me as I am clueless. It is my understanding that if the weapon is working fine with any game load no matter what it is then the weapon is going to work with slugs and buckshot as long as it is not the reduced recoil stuff. So I have no idea. I hope someone else has had a like issue and can help with this.

Is there any chance you installed the piston and piston seal backwards or did not ensure the cut slots in each are 180 degree apart? Not sure how this could effect the issue but it is a thought.

msinc
12-01-2010, 20:24
Do you have a rough idea how many rounds have been thru this gun??? If the bolt locking recess on the barrel hood or the bolt locking block assembly is worn heavily the gun will blow itself open by recoil instead of being unlocked with the gas system as it should. This causes things to be out of time and sometimes results in a jam. Sometimes not though and it can be difficult at first to note that it is happening.
Is there damage to the inside of the barrels cylinder...the O-ring and magazine tube aren't the only sealing surfaces for the gas system. If the bore where the pistons O.D. makes a seal is all gunched up it will short stroke too.
It would appear that a 2 3/4" chambered barrel on a magnum gun could have issues because the action bar assembly has a much heavier tube than the 2 3/4" guns use but I have a magnum 1100 and it shoots 2 3/4" shells {out of the proper 2 3/4" chambered barrel with two gas ports} no problem even with the heavier magnum action bar assembly. Light to heavy field loads, slugs or buckshot no problem. Dont even know if you have this combo.
The 1 oz. buckshot and slugs even though they have a lighter weight payload should still easily operate the action because they are alot more powerful than a 1 1/8 oz gameload. Have you measured the unfired length of these hulls and are they both roll crimped because typically a roll crimped shell is longer than a fold crimp shell. Folded or rolled they will both be 2 3/4" after firing but the rolled hulls {if that is what you have } are longer than the usual 2 1/2". Maybe that is making it "stub." The shells unfired length really shouldn't affect feeding as there is no difference in length or sizes between 2 3/4" or 3" guns other than the actual chamber, ejector position and one or two gas ports in the barrel cylinder.

thumbbreak
12-01-2010, 23:19
I purhased and changed ALL of the springs in the trigger group. I bought the set along with a new piston set figured it would not hurt. $30 and 1/2 hour of work was worth it. Changed the recoil spring and the barrel seal while I was at it.

I wonder if it is short cycling on the slugs and buck as they are only 1oz loads as opposed to the 1-1/8 oz loads on the heavy game loads.

Gas ports are clean, mag tube is smooth, clean and dry inside and out.

Issue remains.

Haven't said you've replaced the magazine spring yet. Might want to take a look. Otherwise, take up a hobby like knitting and the folks on this forum won't let you down.

I would think a real "shooter" like yourself wouldn't need the folks on this forum anyway. At least we can keep our guns running. :supergrin:

DRAGON1970
12-01-2010, 23:49
Haven't said you've replaced the magazine spring yet. Might want to take a look. Otherwise, take up a hobby like knitting and the folks on this forum won't let you down.

I would think a real "shooter" like yourself wouldn't need the folks on this forum anyway. At least we can keep our guns running. :supergrin:

The magazine spring?? Come on now, you can do better than that. Did you read that on the internet?

Did you get a membership card and a decoder ring from your shotgun club?? Are you offering to teach me how to knit??

I will stick to building 1911's and AR's.....although I may be interested in your knitting club. I will be in South Carolina in a couple weeks. I could teach you how to shoot if you would like. Much more fun and you don't even have to be a member of a club.

DRAGON1970
12-02-2010, 09:55
Do you have a rough idea how many rounds have been thru this gun??? If the bolt locking recess on the barrel hood or the bolt locking block assembly is worn heavily the gun will blow itself open by recoil instead of being unlocked with the gas system as it should. This causes things to be out of time and sometimes results in a jam. Sometimes not though and it can be difficult at first to note that it is happening.
Is there damage to the inside of the barrels cylinder...the O-ring and magazine tube aren't the only sealing surfaces for the gas system. If the bore where the pistons O.D. makes a seal is all gunched up it will short stroke too.
It would appear that a 2 3/4" chambered barrel on a magnum gun could have issues because the action bar assembly has a much heavier tube than the 2 3/4" guns use but I have a magnum 1100 and it shoots 2 3/4" shells {out of the proper 2 3/4" chambered barrel with two gas ports} no problem even with the heavier magnum action bar assembly. Light to heavy field loads, slugs or buckshot no problem. Dont even know if you have this combo.
The 1 oz. buckshot and slugs even though they have a lighter weight payload should still easily operate the action because they are alot more powerful than a 1 1/8 oz gameload. Have you measured the unfired length of these hulls and are they both roll crimped because typically a roll crimped shell is longer than a fold crimp shell. Folded or rolled they will both be 2 3/4" after firing but the rolled hulls {if that is what you have } are longer than the usual 2 1/2". Maybe that is making it "stub." The shells unfired length really shouldn't affect feeding as there is no difference in length or sizes between 2 3/4" or 3" guns other than the actual chamber, ejector position and one or two gas ports in the barrel cylinder.

Great info. Thank you sir.

DRAGON1970
12-02-2010, 09:56
Great info. Now you can truely be dissapointed with me as I am clueless. It is my understanding that if the weapon is working fine with any game load no matter what it is then the weapon is going to work with slugs and buckshot as long as it is not the reduced recoil stuff. So I have no idea. I hope someone else has had a like issue and can help with this.

Is there any chance you installed the piston and piston seal backwards or did not ensure the cut slots in each are 180 degree apart? Not sure how this could effect the issue but it is a thought.

Thank you for your help.

thumbbreak
12-02-2010, 20:27
The magazine spring?? Come on now, you can do better than that. Did you read that on the internet?

Did you get a membership card and a decoder ring from your shotgun club?? Are you offering to teach me how to knit??

I will stick to building 1911's and AR's.....although I may be interested in your knitting club. I will be in South Carolina in a couple weeks. I could teach you how to shoot if you would like. Much more fun and you don't even have to be a member of a club.

Wow that's incredible! Really, you build 1911s and ARs, huh? Do they work as well as your 1100? I hope you have a day job. Good luck with the shotgun.

As far as "teaching" me to shoot, doubtful. An ass-clown like you thinks way too much of himself to be worth a damn on the trigger.

I am glad you started giving some respect to the folks above. About time. Have a great day!

ScrappyDoo
12-02-2010, 21:55
Hahah Remingtons suck.

Should've bought a Mossberg 930 SPX !!!! BOOOOOO Remington hahahahaha!

(* I have a 597 , first long gun purchase ever for me, and almost purchased a R-15 ... I love Remington it's good old USA Guns. I have yet to get a Remington boomstick maybe some day. I just felt like stirring the pot for DragonBreath cause he spits hot fire)

Aippi I am very disapointed in you , you should be ashamed of yourself :nonono:

bsg1
12-02-2010, 22:21

that's like asking for a free meal... and then complaining that the beans aren't cooked enough.