Do you keep a knife and flashlight in your purse? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a knife and flashlight in your purse?

CombatBarbi
11-27-2010, 10:30
I rarely meet other women who are diligent in keeping a flashlight and knife in their handbag. If you do carry one what do you carry, what else do you feel is a must have item ie: I always keep a quality pen

My everyday selection is a Surefire backup single cell torch a sf EW-09 knife and a surefire pen <3

Look forward to seeing I'm not alone lol:wavey:

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 13:27

Lone_Wolfe
11-27-2010, 13:38
In a purse, no. On a belt, yes.

Davegrave
11-27-2010, 14:06
In a purse, no. On a belt, yes.

Yep. But man purses are becoming more an more socially acceptable. I'm not quite cool enough to pull it off yet, but I'd say by 2020 they'll be universal enough that I'll be able to empty my bulging pockets. :supergrin:

Lone_Wolfe
11-27-2010, 14:17
Yep. But man purses are becoming more an more socially acceptable. I'm not quite cool enough to pull it off yet, but I'd say by 2020 they'll be universal enough that I'll be able to empty my bulging pockets. :supergrin:

Not that I would have any use for a man purse, since I'm not a man.

amazon
11-27-2010, 14:29
Pen, yes. Knife (knives) yes. Light - no. But def a good idea.

For knives, I usually have a small swiss army knife in one pocket, my kershaw R.A.M. clipped in the other, and a smaller kershaw 1620 in my small purse.

Worst case I always have something with me.

Idunno...knives are just essential :whistling:

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 15:25
<sigh><sigh>.....
</sigh></sigh>

Lone_Wolfe
11-27-2010, 15:32
:kilt:

<sigh> <sigh>They're over here so much, I think they sometimes forget where they are....-Patrice :upeyes:
</sigh></sigh>

True, but that response seemed a little odd to me because I though the OP was directing her question just to women.

Maybe I was wrong. :dunno:

Davegrave
11-27-2010, 15:35
Not that I would have any use for a man purse, since I'm not a man.

I know who you are. I've been around a while. Just jealous of your extra options. :supergrin:

<sigh> <sigh>They're over here so much, I think they sometimes forget where they are....-Patrice :upeyes:
</sigh></sigh>

Wow. I didn't mean to intrude. Usually the ladies don't mind the occasional comment from an outsider. I guess the tide has shifted in WI.

CombatBarbi
11-27-2010, 15:36
Pen, yes. Knife (knives) yes. Light - no. But def a good idea.

For knives, I usually have a small swiss army knife in one pocket, my kershaw R.A.M. clipped in the other, and a smaller kershaw 1620 in my small purse.

Worst case I always have something with me.

Idunno...knives are just essential :whistling:
I have a second set for wristlets or just pockets with a Kershaw Leek 1660CKT
and photo micro attached... I never like to not keep a knife around...

Lone_Wolfe
11-27-2010, 15:39
I know who you are. I've been around a while. Just jealous of your extra options. :supergrin:

:rofl: :rofl:

We don't mind you coming around. Just mind your manners and offer us tea and footrubs occasionally. :supergrin: :wavey:

CombatBarbi
11-27-2010, 15:45
Hhmmm....Well, I have a small Pendleton mini-hunter sheath knife in my shoulder-bag [I have it so-rigged so it can be worn as a neck knife, when needed.] I have a small key-fob light on my key-ring, but nothing larger in the shoulder-bag, itself.

[I do have a larger-but-still-legal (in my part of the world) sheath knife in the car, along with a small, high-lumen flashlight.]

I was always taught to believe that the darkness is one's friend, and while this perspective isn't a mantra for me---I guess said teaching must've had an impact, in that I honestly have never even thought about adding a flashlight to my purse. :headscratch: [How odd of me, now that I think about it.]--Patrice :therapy:
I find having a light always useful for my lifestyle, I keep late nights out lolz and it makes it easier to search through my ever stuffed mess of a bag for stuff lol

CombatBarbi
11-27-2010, 15:49
Yea my question was to just women since most men don't have the fashion concerns we do with weights and sizes and even pocket sizes or lack thereof. I know most men throw a knife on their belt but I always feel awkward running around with a cute outfit and a weapon clearly messing up the picture. But if your the type of guy who wears skin tight pants and carries a murse than surely join in since your fashion and needs are closer to my actual concerns :)

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 15:59

CombatBarbi
11-27-2010, 16:08
@LW most belts I wear are too big or thick or two dainty and and thin to support the extra weight, what kind of knife do you most often find yourself carrying?

sawgrass
11-27-2010, 16:10
I carry a Benchmade pocket knife clipped inside my pocket. If it's dark
I carry a small flashlight in another pocket.

If I carry a bag (pack) I have at least two small flashlights and a couple
of hunting type knives in there. In my vehicle I have a small Gerber hatchet
a larger knife and a large flashlight. I also keep a Gerber tool in every tool bag.

A couple of years ago I took a wrong turn in the Appalachian Mountains. I ended up on a dirt road in a pouring storm. I was very concerned that I was going to slide off of the road. The road ended for me at a small cabin with a big logging chain across it. One hour later and a blister the size of a quarter and more cussing than you can imagine I filed through one of the links with the Gerber file and twisted/beat the link loose with a large screwdriver and a rock. I was then able to go in and turn around. It was about 10:00 pm and
dark as pitch out. It felt great to be able to get myself out of that predicament.

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 16:35

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 16:46

Mrs.Cicero
11-27-2010, 17:38
A Kershaw 1630 and a Surefire in the purse or the pocket, always.
Both have come in handy.
Mrs.Cicero

Davegrave
11-27-2010, 17:57
LW....Okay, I'm out of my element here. Other than my commute to the hospital, I don't get off the property much....[What are the extra options referenced in the quote above???]--Patrice :worried:

Just the option to carry whatever she wants in her purse. I can tell you're really bothered by me. I wasn't trying to crap in you ladies thread. Just started reading the thread and when LW said just on her belt I thought "Man, if I could carry a purse without the stigma I'd never clutter up my belt or pockets." Sure didn't mean to upset you so much.

eta...the correct quote. :embarassed:

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 22:13

Gray_Rider
11-27-2010, 22:46
Sawgrass. I used to live in the Appalachians, and traveled hundreds of thousands of miles through them over the course of a couple of decades. Having such a kit with you as you describe is just common sense when you get much off the beaten track. A good knife and a flashlight can get you out of a lot of dirty situations. Cursing like Harland Sanders, yes that Harland Sanders, (of fried chicken fame) in such a situation as you describe is optional but usually unavoidable.

Women usually don't carry enough of the right things in their purses, and therein lies the recipe for great grief!

Patrice. My condos for the loss of your friends. A CSA salute and a Rebel Yell is offered in their memory.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

PATRICE
11-27-2010, 23:43

Davegrave
11-28-2010, 06:59
Hhmmm....Darling, my reference was to CB, with re: to my not having thought of a mundane/practical reason to add a flashlight to an already full purse. The last time I picked-up a real flashlight, I was attempting to disrupt poachers who were setting up for a shot---I might carry a lot of things at times like that...but a purse isn't one of them. The reference to unsavories, is slang for certain kinds of independent business-persons, individuals with whom I used to spend some social time.... Honey, you don't have to have anyone's approval to be here. If you're here, you just are---same as I am & a lot of women I like (and a few that I don't much care for).--Patrice :shoe:

I came back to read this a second time because I was wondering why you thought I thought you called me unsavory. But then I saw I hit the quote for your wrong post. :wavey: I'm dumb.
But you did make my morning better by calling me honey and darling in a post where you also used the phrase "disrupt poachers who were setting up for a shot". :supergrin:

Lone_Wolfe
11-28-2010, 14:34
@LW most belts I wear are too big or thick or two dainty and and thin to support the extra weight, what kind of knife do you most often find yourself carrying?

Hi CombatBarbi. :wavey: I almost always wear a regular leather belt, in fact that's the only belt I brought with me over here to Iraq. The knife I carry here is a decent, but inexpensive Gerber folder that cost $35 at the PX. I beat the crap out of it and use it for things it wasn't meant to do at times and don't care if I damage or lose it.

Linda
11-28-2010, 22:26
I'm a firm believer in your defensive tools (including your firearm!!!!!) do not belong in a purse, but rather on your person. My lockback knife (no officer, that's not a knife, it's a box cutter I use at my job) is always in my front right (strong side) pocket, hinge side towards the left, and my Surefire on the left (weak) side of my body somewhere, depending upon what I'm wearing. Spare mag goes in the back left pocket in my jeans.

PATRICE
11-29-2010, 04:47

sawgrass
11-29-2010, 07:35
I'm a firm believer in your defensive tools (including your firearm!!!!!) do not belong in a purse, but rather on your person. My lockback knife (no officer, that's not a knife, it's a box cutter I use at my job) is always in my front right (strong side) pocket, hinge side towards the left, and my Surefire on the left (weak) side of my body somewhere, depending upon what I'm wearing. Spare mag goes in the back left pocket in my jeans.

chapstick...the only thing you forgot was chapstick:rofl:
Add chapstick and a wallet and I'd be dressed. I guess I'm lucky that my work
attire allows for 'tools'. If I can't fit it in a pocket I will live without it.

Linda
11-29-2010, 08:18
chapstick...the only thing you forgot was chapstick:rofl:

YES, front left pocket. That goes without saying!!! I AM the queen of chapstik!

Gray_Rider
11-30-2010, 17:16
Yes Patrice, I was referring to your lost friends. But I am "too worldly"?

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

"A yell the devil ought to patent!"
Unknown Union soldier commenting on the Rebel yell

Gray_Rider
11-30-2010, 17:26
Or is that wordy...this old Sesessesh has been accused of that on occasion over the decades. So, I will keep it short and sweet. God rest and keep your dear ones.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

MrsKitty
12-01-2010, 11:10
I got caught going through courthouse security with a 4 1/2" blade a few months ago.

The deputy didn't believe me when I told him I didn't think anything about it because "I always have it on me..."

Oops. :embarassed:

PATRICE
12-01-2010, 19:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FrogWithAGlock
12-06-2010, 09:57
I refuse to carry a purse (I like to keep my hands free, and dislike most carry purses.... ), so I accept that my jeans will look a little bulky.

I carry my glock in an IWB holster, with a small flashlight, folding knife, mini multi-tool, cell phone and keys, in my pocket. Oh, and my wallet (that makes me look bulkier than all the other stuff does, so sometimes I slip what I need into my pocket, sans wallet).

Unless I show people, no one knows I have anything but my phone on me. I do plan on getting a magazine holder to match my holster one of these days.

G19Tony
12-10-2010, 18:48
I bought my Mom a Surefire Defender. She calls it her CSI light :rofl:

I told her about the pokey thing on the end, and she said, " I can do that " :wow:

Mrs.Cicero
12-11-2010, 07:00
I bought my Mom a Surefire Defender. She calls it her CSI light :rofl:

I told her about the pokey thing on the end, and she said, " I can do that " :wow:

Those make great Christmas stocking stuffers (hint, hint)

Mrs.Cicero