If a 20 gauge is good for HD, then... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If a 20 gauge is good for HD, then...

ADK_40GLKr
11-27-2010, 19:58
My HD shotgun is a 1966 vintage 16 gauge 870 with a 21.5" smoothbore barrel. Believe it or not, I found some #1 buckshot loads for it. Gives me a 7" pattern at 25 feet.

Supposedly you can pack more lead into a 16 if you use #1.

Why 21+ inches? Back at a time in my life when I had only 1 shotgun, and $ was even tighter than it is today, I wanted a "Deerslayer Barrel" but Remington didn't make them in 16 ga. So I bought a standard barrel,asked my local smith to cut it down to NY DEC hunting specs and put sights on it. It was never very accurate with slugs, but makes an excellent buckshot barrel.

Until just recently I kept it loaded with #4 birdshot, then discovered Cheaper than Dirt's Federal buck loads.

And it really works for home defense! It's been sitting behind my bedroom door for over 30 years, and we've never had an intruder. :rofl:(BTW I hate that smiley!) http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1013&pictureid=3861

wrenrj1
11-27-2010, 20:08
Took my Remington 870 Express Magnum with extended mag tube (think Marine Magnum in black). It's usually loaded with #4 buckshot. Shot blue rock with it for the first time with bird shot and had a hell of a time! This shotty needs to get out more for fun.

ADK_40GLKr
11-27-2010, 21:55
Blue rock?? Rock salt??

B.Reid
11-28-2010, 06:16
16 GA will work just fine!

wrenrj1
11-28-2010, 18:54
Blue rock?? Rock salt??

Midwest speak for Clay pigeons, i.e. little clay discs you throw, used in trap and skeet shooting...

ADK_40GLKr
11-28-2010, 20:15
Relative newbie: you can count my posts. Thanks - "Blue rock" is good. I also just figured out "Blue Kool Aid", at least I think I did.

Massad Ayoob's avatar intrigued me for a long time until I did a forum search on "Kool Aid".

Critias
11-28-2010, 20:19
Relative newbie: you can count my posts. Thanks - "Blue rock" is good. I also just figured out "Blue Kool Aid", at least I think I did.

Massad Ayoob's avatar intrigued me for a long time until I did a forum search on "Kool Aid".
No need to apologize for not gettin' all our slang. Welcome to more-active-posterville! :wavey: Your shotgun sounds like a pretty sweet set up, as long as you don't have too much trouble finding ammo for it.

ADK_40GLKr
11-28-2010, 20:31
as long as you don't have too much trouble finding ammo for it.

That outfit that claims to be "Less Expensive than Potting Soil" had plenty last time I checked, and the only "Home invaders" I've had have been taken care of with a stick of firewood and a .17 cal Czech Air Pistol. Those darn Red squirrels can be a real nuisance when they get in your house.:whistling: