help choosing a powder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help choosing a powder

stormcaller111
11-27-2010, 21:41
i am a novice reloader. w231 and titegroup for 9mm and 45acp. i just ordered a glock 20sf and want to load relatively hot loads. i plan to get a .40 barrel to plink with. i see 800x, bluedot and aa #7 listed as some favorites. can anyone shed some light on which is better for a novice reloader and also, which is more cost effective? i understand starting light and working my way hotter, safety first.

DWARREN123
11-28-2010, 02:52
I picked IMR 800-X because from the data on Hodgdons web site it shows a lower chamber pressure for FPS. I like to keep the chamber pressure as low as possible with warm loads.
I picked Longshot for the same reason for 40 S&W reloading and am very happy with it.

steve4102
11-28-2010, 05:28
Of the three powders you have listed I like #7 the best. It is a fine ball powder and meters great. 800-X does not meter well at all and unless you plan on weighing each charge it's a poor choice in my book. Blue Dot is very popular in the 10MM, but I've found it to have way to much flash for me. I've also found DB like to be run up towards the top for best performance.

11-28-2010, 05:37
800-X meters well for me. I use a Redding BR3 powder measure and it's spot on charge after charge. 800-X also seem to give higher velocity with most bullets and I've used AA#7 for years.

Meathead9
11-28-2010, 06:47
I would start with Longshot. It meters well, and works well with pretty much all 10mm bullet weights. Longshot will get you some stout loads too. I also use 800X, Blue Dot and recently played around with W231.

stormcaller111
11-28-2010, 09:00
thanks for the help guys. i think i will try both 800x and bluedot. i had planned on hand weighing the hotter loads anyways, just to be extra safe so 800x wont be a problem.

MakeMineA10mm
12-01-2010, 18:36
For a novice shooter/reloader getting the bug for hot 10mm loads, you need to get some AA#9. It is the perfect burning rate for you. It's just slow enough that you practically can't get too much of it in the case to create an overload, yet, it's fast enough that you'll get top velocities with it, as long as you stick to medium and heavy bullets. Blue Dot, 800X, and several other powders will give just as good performance, but no better, and they do not feature easy metering of the ball-powder AA#9 and they're fast-enough burning that you can create an overload with them. You can create an overload with AA#9 too, but you really have to be filling that case up and jamming the bullet down on it. (Didn't want you to get the wrong impression you still didn't need to be careful when loading with AA#9...)

xdmikey
12-02-2010, 17:12
but i just found 1k ranier 165 gr FP and i'm up in the air for a powder.
looking for a soft shooting load at first.
tia

fredj338
12-03-2010, 12:35
I tried 800X, meters like popcorn, not worth the effort to hand weigh either, at least in my 10mms, accuracy is average. I perfer Longshot or AA#7 for high end loads. I have some AA#9 I want to try, but those two are my current fav w/ BlueDot in reserve.
For 1000fps 165gr plated loads, WSF or Unqiue are going to give great results.

stormcaller111
12-03-2010, 12:44
I tried 800X, meters like popcorn

LOL, already ordered some. this should be fun! oh well, it wasnt that expensive...... thanks for all the replies guys

Burien
12-06-2010, 15:04
800x is great for max, just ensure you throw 10 charges, get the average of what it's doing, then use the highest weight charge as your data. I use the Lee progressive and disk 1.36 throws my 800x lot of powder between 11.6-12.0 so i just call it 12.0 and it's great in 135gn Noslers at 1.250. good luck!

stormcaller111
12-06-2010, 19:29
800x is great for max, just ensure you throw 10 charges, get the average of what it's doing, then use the highest weight charge as your data. I use the Lee progressive and disk 1.36 throws my 800x lot of powder between 11.6-12.0 so i just call it 12.0 and it's great in 135gn Noslers at 1.250. good luck!

AWESOME! thanks for the info. i am using a lee also.

Kegs
12-06-2010, 20:03
800x is the best, followed by power pistol, then longshot.

800x is WAY more suited to 10mm than the others, but you have to hand weigh each charge. You can get 40 and 10 bullets going faster than any other shelf powder currently in production.

It *IS* worth hand charging each load. There is no way to test the precision capability of any powder unless you hand charge each load, because 0.1gr. can make a difference.

Blue dot is fun (big flash, big sound), and most certainly it will create "hot" loads (hot as in overpressure), but forget it if velocity is what you're after.

Use power pistol if you're running it through a charger and don't really care about top precision.

MakeMineA10mm
12-06-2010, 21:58
Also, be sure you read this short but very important thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179485

Taterhead
12-06-2010, 22:47
i am a novice reloader. w231 and titegroup for 9mm and 45acp. i just ordered a glock 20sf and want to load relatively hot loads. i plan to get a .40 barrel to plink with. i see 800x, bluedot and aa #7 listed as some favorites. can anyone shed some light on which is better for a novice reloader and also, which is more cost effective? i understand starting light and working my way hotter, safety first.

First, welcome to the 10mm.

I have used a good deal of each of the three powders that you mention. For starting out, it would be a tossup between BD & A7. I do not recommend 800-X

BD Pros: Very versatile throughout the spectrum of 10mm bullet weights. Probably the most widely available load data of any powder. Near top-performing at max charges. Meters relatively well. Consistently accurate.

BD Cons: It is dirty - especially if not loaded warm. It is very flashy so not suitable for low-light defense. Inconsistent performance and powder burn with light charges - hence not a good plinking powder. Very loud

A7 Pros: Extremely nice metering, very clean-burning, and low flash. Good to very good for a wide variety of bullet weights in terms of max performance. Quiter than BD. Great metering means consistent charges.

A7 Cons: Really none except you will get highest velocities with a few other powders. Max velocities should not be a concern for one starting out so not an issue.

800X Pros: I've had mixed results with 800-X and some spooky pressure symptoms, but it is a high performer in terms of max velocities. I haven't personally experienced this with heavy projectiles, but there is no question that 800-X will push light bullets fast in my experience.

800X Cons: As mentioned by others, it doesn't meter. Every charge must be hand weighed - not good for volume work. It is nearly as loud and flashy as BD so I don't consider it ok for defense considerations. It hasn't delivered the same results for me that others have experienced - except for lighter bullets. I have, for the most part, abandoned working with 800X except to use up the remaining supply I have on hand.

FWIW, A9 is my favority 10mm powder.

Have fun and work up slowly.

Burien
12-06-2010, 23:32
I've fired 10 rounds of the 12 gn 800x with 135 nosler HP at 1.250 in my factory G-29 brass was slightly smiley but not bad at all considered some earlier loads with #5 and titegroup. would not use the brass again for max loads, but for berry's 180gn going 975 fps just easy shooting. I just picked up the KKM barrel and Wolff 21 lb spring, so more testing to come.

I just set up my Dillon 550 for 10mm, I'm using the LARGE powder Bar, it meters better than the Lee for 800x goes from 11.8-12.0 more consistent than the lee, and have the 4 stage ability seat and crimp 2 stages. Lee progressive works just fine, but I rather leave it set up for 9mm and use the Dillon for 10mm.

stormcaller111
12-08-2010, 09:21
you guys are awesome, thanks again to all. i just got the text message from discover that glock charged my card. 20sf should be here within a week (gen 4 19 took 4 days from the time the card was charged).

i will hand weigh the 800x as some of you suggested. i would rather my kids not nickname me "stumpy" due to a powder charge oversight.

alpha6164
12-08-2010, 15:53
My recommendation is either AA#7 or AA#9 depending on the weight of the projectile. If you are going to use 155gr or below use AA#7, and if heavier chose AA#9. They both meter great and i had better velocities with AA#9 than AA#7 with 180gr XTPs.