Talk me off the cliff....problem with my Kimber Pro Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk me off the cliff....problem with my Kimber Pro Carry

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 14:19
Okay, I went to shoot my Kimber Pro Carry Stainless today for the first time. Wow, much more accurate than I'm used to shooting. All seemed well.

Then.......

Reload for my 2nd magazine. Everything is fine until the last round.......FTF. Strange. The round was properly pushed into the chamber, but the slide didn't go all the way forward. It stopped short. Again, the round was in the chamber properly, but the slide wouldn't go all the way forward.

So, I thought it might be just "one of those things". Loaded the magazine again. Once again, fails on the last round.

Next step, put the Kimber magazine away and use a brand new Wilson magazine. Results.....identical! Two times in a row. So, this makes 4 times in a row (2 with the Kimber magazine and 2 with the Wilson magazine) with the slide not coming all the way forward.

Doesn't anything jump out at you guys? Is this a common problem with 1911s? It was this type of problem that kept me from buying 1911s in the first place. I normally use Sigs, HKs, etc. I want to be a 1911 guy, but..........

I know that it's something that's probably easily remedied, but there's no way I'm going to rely on this gun for concealed carry.

Fifth magazine reload.......I finally make it all the way through.

One thing I've noticed......the slide release is VERY difficult to push down now. It never was before until after today. I have to use two thumbs and a ton of pressure. May have nothing to do with the problem, but I figured I'd throw that into the mix.

I own this Kimber and then I also own a Stainless Gold Cup. Both have gone unfired until I shot the Kimber today. Still haven't shot the Gold Cup.
I really hope the Kimber has an easy solution, because I love the look and feel of it. It was so accurate with the first 15 rounds.

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 14:48
Oh, ammo-wise, I was using PMC Bronze (230 grain).

PlasticGuy
11-28-2010, 15:05
Try different ammo. PMC is usually good, but you might have some that's slightly out of spec. Always eliminate the easy stuff first.

Fire_Medic
11-28-2010, 15:21
Did you take it apart for any reason before shooting it?

Sounds like something might be wrong with the slide stop if it's tougher to manipulate than before.....

Very hard to tell without seeing the gun in person.

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 15:22
Did you take it apart for any reason before shooting it?

Sounds like something might be wrong with the slide stop if it's tougher to manipulate than before.....

Very hard to tell without seeing the gun in person.

As a matter of fact, yes. I took it apart and lubed it last night.

Fire_Medic
11-28-2010, 15:35
As a matter of fact, yes. I took it apart and lubed it last night.

Make sure everything was re installed correctly before driving yourself crazy with anything else.

Just my $0.02 :wavey:

rsxr22
11-28-2010, 15:37
i agree with fire medic. Sounds like something was re-installed incorrectly.. It could easily also be the ammunition

chrisman17
11-28-2010, 15:39
Something definitely went wrong during reassembly. Slide stops should never take that much force. I suggest disassembly, check your barrel link and careful reassembly.

BeckG19
11-28-2010, 15:45
Don't bum out too much... It can be fixed... IF new Kimber it should go back at their expense. If not see http://forum.m1911.org... Extractor probably too tight. Common issue in Kimbers. Was the bullet under the hook of the extractor or in front of it?. It is hard to figure without picture.. Slide stop issue don't know but you should be sling shotting it in most cases. Was the mag in the gun?

1911s at times need a gunsmith or knowledgable owner. They are not for everyone... But every 1911 can be made 100% good to go for a long time if you are willing to put in the effort.

If not G21SF or G30SF or USP Compact 45, seriously

samuse
11-28-2010, 15:51
Could be a tight extractor, a tight chamber, rough feed ramp, weak recoil spring, weak mag springs, a combination of two or more of those things or something different.

Good luck.

carguy2244
11-28-2010, 16:01
Many people at my shooting club have had similar experiences with their 1911s, so maybe it's standard operating procedure. Two hundred dollars with a good gunsmith should get your new 19111s operating more reliably.

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 16:05
Just took her apart and put her back together. Nothing seems different. However, I found something a little strange (but, it may very well me normal). I'm going to upload a picture......

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 16:09
Does this look normal? Should that little extra notch be there? Hopefully, you can see what I'm referring to. I put the arrow in to help.
Click on picture to enlarge.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x78/jnkirk1974/DSC_0090.jpg

lawdog734
11-28-2010, 16:26
Did you put the recoil spring in backward. I only ask because I did that before....

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 16:43
Did you put the recoil spring in backward. I only ask because I did that before....

I figured that would be impossible....since the Kimber 4" guns require you to put that pin in the hole to hold the spring back.

MD357
11-28-2010, 16:43
Many people at my shooting club have had similar experiences with their 1911s, so maybe it's standard operating procedure. Two hundred dollars with a good gunsmith should get your new 19111s operating more reliably.

Spoken like somoene that has little experience with 1911s.

To the OP, the notch looks fine, you should check your extractor tension first.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Is the slide stop difficult to move when there is no magazine in the gun?

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 16:47

Actually, no. It's 100x easier without the mag in.

Quack
11-28-2010, 16:55
with an empty mag in, it's supposed to be stiff.

MD357
11-28-2010, 16:56
Actually, no. It's 100x easier without the mag in.

Ok. There is no problem there then. The mag follower pushes on the slide stop to hold the slide open on the last round. Obviously it needs a good amount of tension. This is completely normal when you have a new mag. As long as it's moving freely when there's no mag in it OR a loaded mag then you're good to go.

However, follow that link to see if your extractor will hold an empty case or in your case if it slides freely between the breech face and extractor.

Deployment Solu
11-28-2010, 17:01
Jump off the Kimber cliff...you are NOT alone!!!I had a Tactical Pro II That would hang up often and FTGIB. Turned out the undercut the barrel lug too deep and didn't fit the barrel link (needed an oversized one)properly. 5 trips back to Kimber, they still couldn't figure it out. The guys at Nighthawk took 5 minutes to tell me what was wrong. I sent Kimber pictures, what Nighthawk says was wrong, and a Braille diagram and they still didn't get it. Made them send me a new gun and I promptly sold it and I am now back to Glocks for good!!!

carguy2244
11-28-2010, 17:13

I have some experience with 1911s - enough that I sold a Colt Series 70 and a Delta Elite because they were unreliable - enough experience watching others have assorted operational failures with NIB 1911's.
Nice guns, I'm happy to own several now, I just wouldn't carry one for defense.

MD357
11-28-2010, 17:19
I have some experience with 1911s - enough that I sold a Colt Series 70 and a Delta Elite because they were unreliable - enough experience watching others have assorted operational failures with NIB 1911's.
Nice guns, I'm happy to own several now, I just wouldn't carry one for defense.

Great, you just don't know any better. Now what are you doing in a thread such as this? IT would be pretty dumb for me to jump in all the Glock Gen4 threads saying that I've seen a ton of glocks jam in competition or that I had a G22 that wouldn't work with a WML.

brzusa.1911
11-28-2010, 18:01

Oh man, I have three 1911s that needs service! They are all out of the "standard" and work 100% out of the box!

To the OP, if a gun doesn't work 100% out of the box I call the manufactuturer, give Kimber a call.

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 18:16
Oh man, I have three 1911s that needs service! They are all out of the "standard" and work 100% out of the box!

To the OP, if a gun doesn't work 100% out of the box I call the manufactuturer, give Kimber a call.

Well, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something simple that I was doing (or not doing) that was causing the problem.

After reading a couple other forums, it appears that the extractor could very well be the issue. Apparently, the 4" Kimbers have extractor issues and are swapping them out and sending them back to the owner. Also, I've heard that is doesn't hurt to upgrade to a Wolff recoil spring.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21235/Product/KIMBER_reg__EXTRA_POWER_RECOIL___FIRING_PIN_SPRING

I guess I have a direction to head in. Thanks guys!

Hopefully, my new Gold Cup won't be as big a pain to deal with. Haven't shot it yet, so I'll stay optimistic.

ilgunguygt
11-28-2010, 18:23
That's the biggest crock of crap. You instantly show a lack of knowledge repeating internet crap.

MD357
11-28-2010, 19:30
Well, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something simple that I was doing (or not doing) that was causing the problem.

After reading a couple other forums, it appears that the extractor could very well be the issue. Apparently, the 4" Kimbers have extractor issues and are swapping them out and sending them back to the owner. Also, I've heard that is doesn't hurt to upgrade to a Wolff recoil spring.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21235/Product/KIMBER_reg__EXTRA_POWER_RECOIL___FIRING_PIN_SPRING

I guess I have a direction to head in. Thanks guys!

Hopefully, my new Gold Cup won't be as big a pain to deal with. Haven't shot it yet, so I'll stay optimistic.

One thing you need to do is buy some quality mags. Kimber mags are crap.

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 19:38
One thing you need to do is buy some quality mags. Kimber mags are crap.

I have 4 Wilson mags. I only have 1 Kimber mag.

justinsaneok
11-28-2010, 19:58
Don't bum out too much... It can be fixed... IF new Kimber it should go back at their expense. If not see http://forum.m1911.org... Extractor probably too tight. Common issue in Kimbers. Was the bullet under the hook of the extractor or in front of it?. It is hard to figure without picture.. Slide stop issue don't know but you should be sling shotting it in most cases. Was the mag in the gun?

1911s at times need a gunsmith or knowledgable owner. They are not for everyone... But every 1911 can be made 100% good to go for a long time if you are willing to put in the effort.

If not G21SF or G30SF or USP Compact 45, seriously

+ 1 look at that extractor

carguy2244
11-28-2010, 20:19
That's the biggest crock of crap. You instantly show a lack of knowledge repeating internet crap.

Just observations from guys I shoot with, the problems they've had out of the box with 1911s. Not all the time, but often enough to be noteworthy.
Rather than calling this "repeating Internet crap", maybe you should pay closer attention to the content, or maybe you have a lack of knowledge...on how to read. Because I didn't refer to anything other than personal observations in the previos post.
MD. as far as lack of knowledge, gilty as charged. I don't know an extractor from an ejector, or most internal parts of a 1911. But I have seen more than a few fail when new, out of the box.

MD357
11-28-2010, 20:44
MD. as far as lack of knowledge, gilty as charged. I don't know an extractor from an ejector, or most internal parts of a 1911. But I have seen more than a few fail when new, out of the box.

As you said, you are ignorant about 1911s. You wouldn't know why or how they failed IF and I say IF you actually saw it. This means you have no idea if it's the 1911, operator, or something simple like mags, recoil springs etc.

Now, all that being said, wouldn't be a good idea to learn more before you chimed in on a problem thread with internet generalizations?

mrsurfboard
11-28-2010, 21:15
Isn't there a break in period for new Kimbers? I think I've had about 3 FTFs in my first 300 rounds on my Tac Pro II, which I don't really consider a problem.

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 21:18
Isn't there a break in period for new Kimbers? I think I've had about 3 FTFs in my first 300 rounds on my Tac Pro II, which I don't really consider a problem.

400 rounds is what the manual said. I had 4 in the first 30.

carguy2244
11-28-2010, 21:19
You can say IF as often as you like...I've had numerous failures with 2 Colt 1911s I owned, and have seen many more failures in 1911s owned by friends I shoot with. The fact that I don't know the causes is moot - the weapons failed, they went to the gunsmiths, cost a couple of hundred dollars to repair.
Are you saying that production 1911s that fail, new out of the box, are a rare exception? That if I take 20 different production 1911s, new, unmodified, to the range, that I will have no failures in the first 500 rounds? Is that your contention?

cole
11-28-2010, 21:32

My 4" Kimber runs excellent (with Wolff spring). Issues in the real world are few and far between, but complaints are common online. I'd dump the Kimber recoil spring for a Wolff spring. That Kimber spring is weak. Then, I'd run more rounds through it. If issue persists, I'd dump that Kimber extractor for something Wilson.

Johan Beer
11-28-2010, 22:01
Not to bust on your new gun, but it is a Kimber.......

JNKIRK1974
11-28-2010, 22:10

Elaborate on this one......

mrsurfboard
11-28-2010, 22:51

Wow, that was a helpful post.

byaah_19
11-28-2010, 23:50
My kimber pro carry II did this same thing and it ended up being the slide stop. I called kimber and they sent me a new one within 3 days for free. Everything was fine for a while then my plunger tube came off. I then sent it to kimber at their expense and they fixed it for me. After I got it back everything was fine then another part on the back of the frame came loose. I sold it a couple days later and am now looking into the springfields. Good luck! Call Kimber.

MD357
11-28-2010, 23:53
The fact that I don't know the causes is moot - the weapons failed, they went to the gunsmiths, cost a couple of hundred dollars to repair.

Again, you're either being hardheaded or you won't acknowledge the signficance of your ignorance. Just because it went to a gunsmith doesn't mean it wasn't operator error, ammo, OR a very simple fix like a good mag. Then you have a number of ignorant individuals reciting what they saw or heard at the gunshop or range and then you have internet lore.

Maybe I should follow your philosophy and pop into all the Glock 4th gen help threads and talk about how our local PD scrapped their G22s because a WML turned them into a single shot? Then again I can explain the physics behind that problem that I actually saw and experienced, unlike yourself.

Are you saying that production 1911s that fail, new out of the box, are a rare exception?

Hey, tell ya what.... start a thread we'll discuss.

FLIPPER 348
11-29-2010, 00:17
Kimber mags are crap.

Kimber mags work just fine in all my 1911s.

MD357
11-29-2010, 00:34
Kimber mags work just fine in all my 1911s.

Noted.

ancient_serpent
11-29-2010, 00:46
OP: Don't be down about your pistol. Also, don't listen to the Kimber haters. imbers are fine pistols, but, as with every company, sometimes lemons get through CQ.
First off, how many rounds do you have through the pistol total?

FLIPPER 348
11-29-2010, 01:35
Noted.

What is is about Kimber mags that makes you feel they are crap??

brzusa.1911
11-29-2010, 06:50
Deleted

chrisman17
11-29-2010, 08:26
many people at my shooting club have had similar experiences with their 1911s, so maybe it's standard operating procedure. Two hundred dollars with a good gunsmith should get your new 19111s operating more reliably.

lmao!

woodrowNC
11-29-2010, 15:25
i have a pro carry 11 with the same problem. as you describe it, it's not a ftf, it's a ftrtb. mine has been to kimber twice. gonna try another way. maybe wilsons or sa. before i do, i'm gonna try a longer link, and polish the chamber up. looks like it was cut with a spade drill. i only have to apply slight pressure to the rear of the slide to lock it up. it's close, but will ftrtb every 30 rds or so. it's gonna be my experimental 1911. it has the best trigger i've ever felt on a 1911, and is very accurate. don't freak out. it can be fixed.

http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/6824/1001040.jpg

JNKIRK1974
11-29-2010, 15:30
I've decided that I'm not even going to screw around with Kimber. I'm not a patient person and I want to guarantee that it's done right or even better than before.

I've already determined that I'm going to replace the recoil spring with a Wolff. I'm also probably going to replace the extractor with a Wilson "Bulletproof Extractor" or the Ed Brown "Hardcore Extractor". I will then have the throat and feed ramp polished. Anything I'm missing? All will be done by a gunsmith that I really trust. I'm a 1911 newbie, so feel free to correct anything that I'm doing incorrectly.

woodrowNC
11-29-2010, 15:40
I've decided that I'm not even going to screw around with Kimber. I'm not a patient person and I want to guarantee that it's done right or even better than before.

I've already determined that I'm going to replace the recoil spring with a Wolff. I'm also probably going to replace the extractor with a Wilson "Bulletproof Extractor". I will then have the throat and feed ramp polished. Anything I'm missing? All will be done by a gunsmith that I really trust. I'm a 1911 newbie, so feel free to correct anything that I'm doing incorrectly.

the first time mine went back, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. i sent it back, and they replaced the slide. how do you go from couldn't find anything wrong, to a whole new slide? that was a little much for me. but thru this i've learned more about the mechanics of a 1911 than i did before so... it'll all work out.

11-29-2010, 17:00
OP-- at least let Kimber look at it once. Heck, they might find something big wrong with it. Once your smith touches it, it is out of warranty.

BryGuy
11-29-2010, 17:29
I have A Kimber Custom II that has the same problem. I noticed it only occurred when I used the magazine that came with the pistol. I have only put about 250 rounds through it so far. I attributed the problem to a crappy magazine and not being broken in yet.

I am going to take it back out to the range soon with some different magazines, and see if I get it to happen again. I seemed to function better the more rounds I put through it. In the 250 I put through it, it only did it about 4 times, and with the Kimber magazine that came with the gun. It was also on the second or third round fired. The KimPro Tac-Mag I bought had no issues.

I will keep an eye on this thread. I am no 1911 expert BTW, most of my experience is with Glocks.

Wolfgang
11-29-2010, 17:34
I have 4 Wilson mags. I only have 1 Kimber mag.

Wilson mags won't fix an extractor problem, probably make it worse.

My Kimber mags work just as good as Wilson in my Kimbers. I use Brown, Metalform, Act, Novak, Colt, CheckMate, McCormick , Wolff, in addition to Wilson and Kimber mags and they all work fine.

Don't let anyone con you into believing Wilson is the only mag!

Wolfgang
11-29-2010, 17:38
I've already determined that I'm going to replace the recoil spring with a Wolff. I'm also probably going to replace the extractor with a Wilson "Bulletproof Extractor" or the Ed Brown "Hardcore Extractor". I will then have the throat and feed ramp polished. Anything I'm missing? All will be done by a gunsmith that I really trust. I'm a 1911 newbie, so feel free to correct anything that I'm doing incorrectly.

Use a real extractor---EGW. It makes the others look silly.

Of the Bulletproof or the Hardcore, I'd choose Brown Hardcore.

JNKIRK1974
11-29-2010, 19:26
Use a real extractor---EGW. It makes the others look silly.

Of the Bulletproof or the Hardcore, I'd choose Brown Hardcore.

I looked up the EGW on Brownells, but didn't see one for the series 80.

JNKIRK1974
11-29-2010, 19:31
OP-- at least let Kimber look at it once. Heck, they might find something big wrong with it. Once your smith touches it, it is out of warranty.

I do understand your point. However, if I realize the risks of having your own gunsmith fix the gun.

I'm not concerned about the warranty. I'm willing to make the gun better myself, as long as it does just that.......make it better. If being out a little more money fixes it, so be it. Might as well replace the weak points of the gun now....before they actually DO break.

Had I know these issues before, I might have gone with a different brand. It appears to be a VERY common issue with the 4" Kimbers. Unacceptable. I'm already approximately $1000 into the gun. A little more to make it right for me will be worth it. Maybe it'll actually be stronger than it was when I purchased it.

My only fear is that this will unlock the little thing in my brain that makes me tinker with EVERYTHING. I'll get the upgrade bug and won't be able to leave anything alone.:cool:

Lew-G17
11-29-2010, 21:21
I have three Kimber pistols and fortunately all of them run well. I did not see where you posted a total round count, forgive me if I overlooked it, but Kimber pistols do need a break in before they are fully reliable, so I would get at least 200 rounds through it before changing anything.

Changing the recoil spring to the Wolffe designed for the 4" Kimber is always a good idea. if these things don't get it to run right, then I would let my smith tune it, starting with the extractor.

Oh yea, you will continue to tinker with it, that is just too hard to resist.

MD357
11-29-2010, 22:06

Did you check extractor tension?

VanguardMP
11-30-2010, 07:28
To the OP. Between my wife and I we have five Kimber pistols. Out of the five the only one we had issues with was my wife's Ultra Carry II. It would lock open on a full magazine while firing. I did some research and discovered the slide stop was the issue. Called Kimber and they immediately sent one to me to fix it. No problems since. I will tell you though out of the five, maybe 2 or 3 will not work reliably with Chip McCormick mags. Not sure why, but they just don't. I use the Kimber Protac or tactical magazines. Can't remember the exact name of them, but they are put out by Kimber and they work. I would shoot your pistol and put at least 200 rounds through it before you start tinkering with it. I, for one, like my Kimbers.

VMP

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 10:54
*******Okay, I got an answer from my gunsmith*********
I took the gun in to get it evaluated by him before I did anything. I waited for a while, heard some test fires in the back room and then he came out and said....."it's good to go".

He told me that the extractor has never been set at all. In his words, it was "straighter than a grizzly's d***". Apparently, Kimber does this a lot. They'll sell the guns, but fail to set the extractors.

So, I'll now go forward with the normal break-in process (approximate 400 rounds) and see where I stand at the end of it. Hopefully, all will be well from this point forward.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

pistolwrench
11-30-2010, 11:02
Lots of advice!
:cool:

I've got to wonder about your gunsmith's 'fix' though.
An extractor's 'straightness' is no indicator of anything.
And if he bent it, he probably bent it to increase tension on
a round, which might amplify your problem.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 11:12
Lots of advice!
:cool:

I've got to wonder about your gunsmith's 'fix' though.
An extractor's 'straightness' is no indicator of anything.
And if he bent it, he probably bent it to increase tension on
a round, which might amplify your problem.

Well, according to him, it was clearly never set and he said he was surprised that it didn't fail more than it did. He's definitely a guy that would know....he's REAL OLD! :)
The proof will be in the shooting. We'll know soon enough. Not too sure that I should doubt him.

I'll take his word on it. I'd think a trained gunsmith can tell the difference between a set and an unset extractor.
At this point, I'll take his word over Kimber's. It's their gun that isn't working properly.

faawrenchbndr
11-30-2010, 12:01
Well, according to him, it was clearly never set and he said he was surprised that it didn't fail more than it did. He's definitely a guy that would know....he's REAL OLD! :)
The proof will be in the shooting. We'll know soon enough. Not too sure that I should doubt him.

I'll take his word on it. I'd think a trained gunsmith can tell the difference between a set and an unset extractor.
At this point, I'll take his word over Kimber's. It's their gun that isn't working properly.

Just a tip,......you are speaking with one the TOP 1911 builders in the US!
I will bet both my left nut that Pistolwrench know more about 1911s than your 'smith.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 12:03
I will bet both my left nut that Pistolwrench know more about 1911s than your 'smith.

That's fine. However, I'm not sure that I'm prepared to go back to my gunsmith and tell him he's wrong. Is this what you are proposing?
And, assuming that my gunsmith is wrong, what would you guys propose the fix is? Geez, let me at least shoot the gun, before
doubting the gunsmith.

Rinspeed
11-30-2010, 12:05

If your smith is right and it didn't have any tension that means the extractor is not the problem with it feeding. :dunno: As a general rule too little tension will cause problems with ejection while too much tension can cause problems with feeding.

Quack
11-30-2010, 12:06

pistolwrench knows nothing :whistling:

http://www.rogersprecision.com/

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 12:12
Sounds like keeping a 1911 is going to be a pain in the ass.
I should have stuck with my HKs. Might not be near as accurate, but.........

One thing I've found out (at least, it's one of the following)
1) Kimbers are crap
2) My gunsmith knows nothing
3) The problem is the extractor
4) The problem is not the extractor

At this point, I don't know who to listen to. Trying to follow the advice of people here,
but then I'm told I got the wrong advice.

My gunsmith told me that the factory put the extractor in the wrong way and that it
was never set properly. So, take that for whatever it's worth. He acted like it was
par for the course for Kimber. He never said anything about bending it.

He told me the extractor is supposed to go in a certain way, but because of the way
that it came from the factory, it was sitting in there straight.....and not extracting anything.
He had to put it back in the correct way. For all I know, that could mean that it was originally
put in there upside-down, sideways. I just don't know. I've never installed an extractor, so
it might as well be brain surgery, as far as I'm concerned.

However, I'm not a 1911 expert.....which is why I took it to a gunsmith. If there's a better decision,
tell me now. However, the gun hasn't been fired, so doubting the gunsmith doesn't seem right.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 12:14

Well, unless I know who he is.......how am I supposed to know? There's only so many people on the internet.
Frankly, there could be 10 top notch builders in this forum and I would never know it.

Hokie1911
11-30-2010, 12:14

Yeah, he's just a dremel jockey that likes golfballs. Jeez. :rofl:

thecableguy
11-30-2010, 12:31
Kirk go and shoot it and let us know what happened. If it worked then super if it doesn't then try some of the other advice here. Don't take anything here to hard we like to kid around a lot here. At the end of the day everyone just wants your gun to run right.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 12:35
Understand.....I'm an HK collector (P7's, USP's, UMP, P2000sk, HK45, P30). So, this stuff is foreign to me. I really want to like the 1911. I already own two, but am just now getting around to shooting them. I have 21 handguns, so I can't shoot them all....all of the time. I mostly have HKs, Sigs, Glocks, SW revolvers, etc. None of which require too much knowledge to maintain.

The amount of opinions is overwhelming. However, knowing the "right people" from the "wrong people" is impossible. I can at least see my gunsmith's face and tell if he's B.S.-ing me.

mrsurfboard
11-30-2010, 12:39
Sounds like keeping a 1911 is going to be a pain in the ass.
I should have stuck with my HKs. Might not be near as accurate, but.........

One thing I've found out (at least, it's one of the following)
1) Kimbers are crap
2) My gunsmith knows nothing

At this point, I don't know who to listen to. Trying to follow the advice of people here,
but then I'm told I got the wrong advice.

My gunsmith told me that the factory put the extractor in the wrong way and that it
was never set properly. So, take that for whatever it's worth. He acted like it was
par for the course for Kimber. He never said anything about bending it.

He told me the extractor is supposed to go in a certain way, but because of the way
that it came from the factory, it was sitting in there straight.....and not extracting anything.
He had to put it back in the correct way. For all I know, that could mean that it was originally
put in there upside-down, sideways. I just don't know. I've never installed an extractor, so
it might as well be brain surgery, as far as I'm concerned.

However, I'm not a 1911 expert.....which is why I took it to a gunsmith. If there's a better decision,
tell me now. However, the gun hasn't been fired, so doubting the gunsmith doesn't seem right.

I guess you don't know that on the internet, everyone is an expert. Stick with what a professional who you know says and not what a maybe expert on this board says. Lot of people are full of s**t here. Again I'm not saying one way or the other, but you just don't know the real expertise of the people giving advice here.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 12:57

Next time, I'll just buy from him.....so I get a good gun the first time. For the money, it sounds
like I made a mistake a year or so ago, when I bought this Kimber.

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:01
send him your Kimber.

pistolwrench
11-30-2010, 13:07
I'm sorry I commented at all.
I was just trying to help.
:dunno:

mrsurfboard
11-30-2010, 13:10
Next time, I'll just buy from him.....so I get a good gun the first time. For the money, it sounds
like I made a mistake a year or so ago, when I bought this Kimber.

Just for the record there are thousands of Kimber users who are very satisfied with their purchase. Are there better, absolutely. Comes down to how much you are willing to spend. I would love a Wilson Combat, but the $2500+ price tag is a little tough to swallow for a handgun.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 13:11

You don't have to be sorry for commenting. I just didn't no why the gunsmith was being questioned, when nothing had been tested yet.

Again, me....not being a 1911 expert of ANY KIND, may not have explained what he did correctly. I just know that the extractor was so obviously wrong, that he noticed it immediately and was extremely confident that it was the problem. It wasn't a "I hope this works". He acted like it definitely was the issue.

mrsurfboard
11-30-2010, 13:13

Don't be, all help is sure appreciated, was just saying the OP should filter all the answers as you often don't know the qualifications of the posters here.

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:13
You don't have to be sorry for commenting. I just didn't no why the gunsmith was being questioned, when nothing had been tested yet.

Again, me....not being a 1911 expert of ANY KIND, may not have explained what he did correctly. I just know that the extractor was so obviously wrong, that he noticed it immediately and was extremely confident that it was the problem. It wasn't a "I hope this works". He acted like it definitely the issue.

because usually a FTFeed is a tight extractor and not a loose extractor (which would cause FTE's), so tightening the extractor tension will create more feeding problems.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 13:20
I just want to make sure you read this part....

"He told me the extractor is supposed to go in a certain way, but because of the way
that it came from the factory, it was sitting in there straight.....and not extracting anything. He had to put it back in the correct way. For all I know, that could mean that it was originally put in there upside-down, sideways. I just don't know. I've never installed an extractor, so it might as well be brain surgery, as far as I'm concerned."

The gunsmith never said anything about bending it. He said that the extractor was physically in there incorrectly. To me....this could mean anything. However, it doesn't sound like he was talking about tension. To me, it sounded like it was something that was completely boneheaded on Kimber's part......almost like putting the bullet backwards in the HK magazine (in that now famous magazine ad).

Isn't there a straight side on an extractor and then another side with the "hook" on it? Could it be that the extractor was physically in there on the wrong side....to where it couldn't do it's job?

I mean, for all I know, he could have been talking about my Kimber's sexual preference, when he said "straight".

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:24
extractors only go in 1 way and with him saying "straight" would make most of us think that it's not tensioned properly.

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 13:28
Well, the good news is, it's still a pretty paper weight or at least a boat anchor. It's not my carry gun, so I'll live to see another day.

Forget that I attempted to explain what he did, because I don't know my head from my ass when it comes to 1911s.

Let me start all over again.......

Hey guys,

I took my Kimber to a gunsmith today and he says it's working now. Oh happy day!

:rofl:

On another note......anyone need a stainless Kimber Pro Carry II? I have a "buddy" that may be selling his.

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:29
Hey guys,

I took my Kimber to a gunsmith today and he says it's working now. Oh happy day!

Well what was the problem??? :tongueout:

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 13:34
Well what was the problem??? :tongueout:

He had to replace all the belts and fluids. Told me to bring it back after 100,000 shots
to get the timing belt replaced.

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:36
ah...that happens a lot with Kimber's

MD357
11-30-2010, 13:37
:brickwall: This thread is like two monkeys %#$king a football.

thecableguy
11-30-2010, 13:41

:rofl::rofl:

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:42

like there's something wrong with that :scared:

Hokie1911
11-30-2010, 13:50
Well, the good news is, it's still a pretty paper weight or at least a boat anchor. It's not my carry gun, so I'll live to see another day.

Forget that I attempted to explain what he did, because I don't know my head from my ass when it comes to 1911s.

Let me start all over again.......

Hey guys,

On another note......anyone need a stainless Kimber Pro Carry II? I have a "buddy" that may be selling his.

I could use a paperweight. Will give you $50 for it. :supergrin:

polizei1
11-30-2010, 13:54
I'll go $51? I'll even pay shipping. :banana:

Quack
11-30-2010, 13:56
i bid...:bunny:

Hokie1911
11-30-2010, 14:03
I'll go $51? I'll even pay shipping. :banana:

Damn you and your Price Is Right strategy. :rofl:

chrisman17
11-30-2010, 14:04
If it's still giving you problems, try changing the blinker fluid, or rotating the lug nuts. Works every time for me! :D

JNKIRK1974
11-30-2010, 14:21
I'm surprised you guys starting the bidding so high. There is an extractor in the gun that nobody knows what direction it's pointing or how tight it is. For all you guys know, it could be a Tootsie Roll.

In all seriousness, if I found the right gun....I'd trade it off. I prefer guns from Deutschland.

I still have a stainless Gold Cup (unfired) that can probably take care of my 1911 needs. Heck, it's probably even better if I didn't fire it.

MD357
11-30-2010, 22:05
I'm surprised you guys starting the bidding so high. There is an extractor in the gun that nobody knows what direction it's pointing or how tight it is. For all you guys know, it could be a Tootsie Roll.

In all seriousness, if I found the right gun....I'd trade it off. I prefer guns from Deutschland.

I still have a stainless Gold Cup (unfired) that can probably take care of my 1911 needs. Heck, it's probably even better if I didn't fire it.

and here you have it.... the basis for all of Carguy2244's "range" stories.

Wolfgang
12-02-2010, 18:17

Sounds like you have a good sense of humor----so that being said, the next time you need a boat anchor, buy a Ruger :rofl::rofl:

EGW extractor:

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_42&products_id=201

BryGuy
03-05-2011, 18:21
Have you shot this pistol since your smith looked at it? I am curious if the problem is still around.

Hokie1911
03-05-2011, 18:48
Zombie thread...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlbKs1RgD7Zj36SXWb0Mhan_SHMaWJDjH0x3EaIphMOE9jSc4m6Q