ACOG Clones/knockoff [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ACOG Clones/knockoff

Turbodreams
11-29-2010, 09:02
I dont have the money right now for a real Trijicon, but I really want/need an optic. My fiance has offered to buy me one for Christmas if its not to expensive.

Any of you know of a decent ACOG clone/knockoff for around $100-$150?

majette
11-29-2010, 09:13
primary arms. www.primaryarms.com, they are a sponsor here.

Turbodreams
11-29-2010, 09:22
primary arms. www.primaryarms.com, they are a sponsor here.

Checked it out, outside of the actual Trijicon ACOG they didnt have what I was looking for.

MARSH1
11-29-2010, 09:22
We don't sell anything with a fake logo but do have a new fixed 4X that is arriving next week. It does have a similar shape to a Acog. Should be around $149 but I won't have the final price until we get he shipping a duty total.

Thanks
Marshall

glock22357
11-29-2010, 09:24
I don't know of any other than ones I saw at a local gun shop. They sorta looked like ACOGs, but with no fiber-optic on top, no BAC. It was a variable magnification optic (i-6 I think) with decent glass. One model even had a Doctor RDO rip-off attatched.

I can't remember the manufacturer right now, but I'll do some research and get back to you. Primary Arms has nothing like an ACOG.

K. Foster
11-29-2010, 09:35
This may not be what you want to hear, but.......
With optics, you really do get what you pay for. Cheap optics, knock-offs and clones are cheap for a reason. Have your fiancé get you a gift certificate to someplace that sells ACOGs and save your pennies. Or, get a decent 1-4 variable, Burris Nikon Leupold, etc.
ACOG’s are outstanding but I find a good low power variable to be more versatile.

Turbodreams
11-29-2010, 09:36
We don't sell anything with a fake logo but do have a new fixed 4X that is arriving next week. It does have a similar shape to a Acog. Should be around $149 but I won't have the final price until we get he shipping a duty total.

Thanks
MarshallNot looking for a fake logo one. Just something similar in size/glass/reticle.

I don't know of any other than ones I saw at a local gun shop. They sorta looked like ACOGs, but with no fiber-optic on top, no BAC. It was a variable magnification optic (i-6 I think) with decent glass. One model even had a Doctor RDO rip-off attatched.

I can't remember the manufacturer right now, but I'll do some research and get back to you. Primary Arms has nothing like an ACOG.
Thanks.

Turbodreams
11-29-2010, 09:38
With optics, you really do get what you pay for. Cheap optics, knock-offs and clones are cheap for a reason. Have your fiancé get you a gift certificate to someplace that sells ACOGs and save your pennies. Or, get a decent 1-4 variable, Burris Nikon Leupold, etc.
ACOG’s are outstanding but I find a good low power variable to be more versatile.

I plan on buying an ACOG on my own come spring/summer, I just wanted something to last until then.

glock22357
11-29-2010, 09:39
As close as I have ever seen. (http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=444)

Turbodreams
11-29-2010, 09:48
As close as I have ever seen. (http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=444)

I was actually just looking at that. Found some on Amazon. I think one of those might be the one for now.

Bushflyr
11-29-2010, 09:48
Just something similar in size/glass/reticle.

The glass is where you're going to run into differences in quality. The Trijicon ACOG has pretty spectacular glass for what it is. I think a cheaper clone is going to leave you disappointed.

If I were in your shoes I'd get a non magnified red dot or a mid range 1-4 illuminated variable. Then save your pennies for a TA11. :cool:

ETA:
I plan on buying an ACOG on my own come spring/summer, I just wanted something to last until then.

In light of this: Get yourself a Docter, Jpoint, or equivalent now. Run it for the time being then you'll already have an RDS to piggy back when you get your ACOG should you so desire.

Broncbuster
11-29-2010, 15:03
I have not seen any NCstar stuff hold up well. Atleast go with the Bushnell version. Looks closer to the real thing and is a decent optic for the money.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-1x32-riflescope-730132p.html

alexanderg23
11-29-2010, 15:08

Thanks
Marshall

I would like to say that Primary Arms customer service has gone above and beyond. And I like the M4 clone thing, for $89 totally worth it.

jrs93accord
11-29-2010, 17:03
I am going with a few others and suggest a red-dot (M3 or M4) from Primary Arms. Excellent optics for a bargain price. In the meantime, save up for the ACOG. You will love the "real" thing.

Broncbuster
11-29-2010, 17:32
I agree with jrs- if all I could afford was a lower level optic then I would buy a Primary Arms m3,m4 or micro dot. You will be able to use it later on for a back up gun or a plinker. I have one of their Aimpoint Clone H1 clones and it has been flawless on a AK.

blaster_54738
11-29-2010, 19:14
I have not seen any NCstar stuff hold up well. Atleast go with the Bushnell version. Looks closer to the real thing and is a decent optic for the money.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-1x32-riflescope-730132p.html

i had one of these and was very happy with it untill i had the money to buy my eotech.

KalashniKEV
11-29-2010, 19:32
Any of you know of a decent ACOG clone/knockoff for around $100-$150?

STOP.

NO.

and DON'T.

You'd be better off putting $25 in the ACOG fund and throwing the rest in the fireplace.

Don't junk out on your optic. Ever.

That's what makes the bullets go where you want them to.

11-29-2010, 19:48
STOP.

NO.

and DON'T.

You'd be better off putting $25 in the ACOG fund and throwing the rest in the fireplace.

Don't junk out on your optic. Ever.

That's what makes the bullets go where you want them to.
Exactly!
Been there done that. Never again. If I had to do it all over again, the wasted money should have gone to ammo and practice with iron sights.

IQof1
11-29-2010, 21:00
why are you so dead set on an ACOG? have you actually handled an AR with one on it?

it feels like it almost doubles the weight of my rifle. heck, you could buy 2 Aimpoint ML2's or ML3's for the price of one ACOG. and at 30,000 hours of battery life, who really needs the fiberoptic?

besides, the tritium WILL wear out! (it may take a few years but, it will go)

i dropped $1000 on my ACOG and wish i wouldve known about the Aimpoints then!

i hate to sound like i am knocking the ACOG, it is a wonderful scope. it's just that it is HEAVY and wipes out any kind of balance when mounted on an AR. also, the eye relief is only like 1.5" so you're way up close and personal with it.

Turbodreams
11-29-2010, 21:28
why are you so dead set on an ACOG? have you actually handled an AR with one on it?

it feels like it almost doubles the weight of my rifle. heck, you could buy 2 Aimpoint ML2's or ML3's for the price of one ACOG. and at 30,000 hours of battery life, who really needs the fiberoptic?

besides, the tritium WILL wear out! (it may take a few years but, it will go)

i dropped $1000 on my ACOG and wish i wouldve known about the Aimpoints then!

i hate to sound like i am knocking the ACOG, it is a wonderful scope. it's just that it is HEAVY and wipes out any kind of balance when mounted on an AR. also, the eye relief is only like 1.5" so you're way up close and personal with it.

Can I get a red-dot with 4x magnification or more without an added magnifier?

Bushflyr
11-29-2010, 21:39
also, the eye relief is only like 1.5" so you're way up close and personal with it.

Which is why you should have gone with the TA11 vs the TA31. 3-Gunner vs Tacticool. :tongueout:

J/K. ;) The first part of your post is totally valid. ACOG's really are a pretty specialized item. OP, WHY do you want an ACOG? Have you shot one? Do you KNOW that the BAC works for you?

I have a TA11 and got it specifically for a 3-gun rifle. The BAC works REALLY well for my eyes. However, I would never put one on a HD/SHTF rifle. It's significantly slower than a RDS up close and I have no need to reach out in a defensive situation. It's hard to justify "self defense" outside 200m.

So, like I've posted upteen times before, what's your "mission"? Define your mission then select the equipment to suit.

MrMurphy
11-29-2010, 23:01
Exactly. For a mid-long range piece a TA11 works well.

If your primary use will be 200 and under, get an Aimpoint and magnifier. At most, a TA33G-H (those aren't the greatest at close work either being 3X, but it's doable).

IQof1
11-30-2010, 06:30
Which is why you should have gone with the TA11 vs the TA31. 3-Gunner vs Tacticool. :tongueout:

you are correct Sir!

i was building my first AR from the ground up. i saw a colleagues TA31 at work and had to have it based on the clarity and the brightness of the reticle. i have to admit to the "cool factor" associated with the fiberoptic.

i was quickly disabused of all those notions after i got my own and mounted it. the first thing that hit me was the weight. the second was trying to work close in, not happening.

i will probably keep it for a "long range" set-up, but, i will definitely be purchasing an Aimpoint in the near future. i was originally set on the ML2 but, after reading more, i am in the market for an ML3, battery life/2MOA are better for me and my aging eyes i think than a "huge" 4MOA dot.

Turbodreams
11-30-2010, 07:51
I have used an ACOG, but its been about 4 years since, it was on a friends rifle and I have no idea what model. I wanted an ACOG because I didnt want a full size riflescope on my gun but still wanted magnification.

I really dont want to clutter it up with a red dot and a magnifier. With both of those on there, it would be just like I had bought a full scope.

The guns mainly for range shooting but may eventually see some other use.

MrMurphy
11-30-2010, 08:50
On the Aimpoint side of things,without a magnifier you can't discern the difference between the 2 and 4 MOA dot unless you're shooting at about 300m and even then not much. You can put an M2 and M3 in front of each other and the dot size is basically identical. WITH a magnifier, the 2 MOA is superior, otherwise, no difference.

Turbodreams
11-30-2010, 09:04
My range only goes to 100yards. I shoot at mainly 50 with the AR. But would like to be pin-point accurate within the 50-100yd range and still be able to go out further.

mixflip
11-30-2010, 09:05

+1 on this advice. I have owned a few cheap optics over the years and chucked them all eventually. I wish I had just spent $400 or $500 for a really good high quality optic and be done with it. To the average budget minded guy, it sounds almost ridiculous to spend that kind of money (you could buy another gun!) but it really makes a difference in so many ways. Buy once, cry once as they say.

It wont break as easily (usually), and if you ever plan to sell it you can usually get alot more of your money back for it through a private sale. My next optic will probably be a $500 Aimpoint micro red dot or a 1-4 variable power scope. There was a time when I would never spend that much of my hard earned money on an optic, but today...I wouldnt think twice or regret it a bit spending that much money on an optic.

My limit is $500-ish today. I still cant wrap my head around spending $1000 on an optic yet. lol.

jdodd
11-30-2010, 11:47

Thanks
Marshall

+1

When I think budget & quality optics Marshall / PA are the first to come to mind.

I have a Gen 6 Micro Dot, M3 MRRD + various other toys. :)

-J

mjkeat
11-30-2010, 12:24
If you must have an ACOG get one. Ive used them and they are nice but prefer a red dot.

A lot can change in four years. If you can try both optics before spending your money. Many times youll see guys using one or the other at the range. Ask them questions and most of the time theyll let you pyt rounds down range. Ive been on both sides of that situation and it has helped.

Also you could purchase a micro from PrimaryArms and try it out. At the very least you have an optic waiting for your next rifle.

Turbodreams
11-30-2010, 12:56
Ive contacted Marshall already for help on making a decision from his product line. Im definitely getting one or the other setups from him.

jeepinbandit
11-30-2010, 13:15
Check out this one

http://1337tactical.com/shop/productview.php?productId=100

They dont' have pics there but it's pretty much a carbon copy of a regular 4x ACOG with regular crosshairs no chevron. It also lacks tritium and fiber optics. I've been using it on and off for a while and am happy with it. It'll also let you get some time behind an ACOG like scope to see if you are going to like the magnification and what not before blowing a grand on one.

I will say you run the risk of having one that is defective in some way. Mine came with the screw holes tapped crooked which made the crosshairs crooked when mounted on the rail mount. When mounted to the carry handle it was perfectly level. I was able to shim the screws on the rail mount and leveled it out on the rail mount.

A review I did on xdtalk

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/57707-1337-tactical-facog.html

Also for some reason they have the adjuster backwards from what they labels say. Turning the adjuster screw to the "L" direction actually adjusts it right. Not sure what's up there.

But overall I like it I figure a little fiddling was worth saving 800 or more dollars and shoots accuratley and the BDC is also accurate.

moeman
11-30-2010, 21:52
There are no true ACOG clones (fiber optic + tritium). I think a 1-4X is the next best thing (and when you save $, a 1-4X Trijicon may be a better choice than an ACOG for HD and cheaper).

Over at AR15.com these budget scopes have a good following. My ranking from reading...don't own them:

Burris 1-4x >leatherwood CMS 1-4X>Millet DMS all are under $200-300. the

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=460800
http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=134&categoryId=159
http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-CMR-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C1519.aspx

IMO good iron sites are better than putting money into an NC star scope.

WayaX
12-01-2010, 11:14
Exactly!
Been there done that. Never again. If I had to do it all over again, the wasted money should have gone to ammo and practice with iron sights.

I'll third this. However, if you have to have an optic NOW, Primary Arms is a good source since they're a GT sponser.

PlasticGuy
12-01-2010, 11:53
1. Don't waste your money on cheap glass. You'd be better off just running irons until you save up enough for a quality optic.

2. The ACOG is a great optic. The 4x is the Marine issue version, but my preference is for their 2x and 3x models. They're significantly smaller and lighter, just as tough, and are much faster to use up close.

Turbodreams
12-01-2010, 12:10
Ive already got a good set of irons. I have a SW MP15FT. It came with Troy flip ups. Ill be buying the Primary Arms M3 later this week when its back in stock.

jeepinbandit
12-01-2010, 15:14
On a note on the 1337 tactical FACOG compared to the RCO (USMC Speak for ACOG) I shoot with for annual qualification......I can tell almost no difference in the quality (image clarity wise) of the optic. But then again my eyes kinda suck.

MCKNBRD
12-05-2010, 19:10
My range only goes to 100yards. I shoot at mainly 50 with the AR. But would like to be pin-point accurate within the 50-100yd range and still be able to go out further.

You'd be better off getting trigger time and some decent training on shooting than picking up an ACOG. I've had an ACOG (TA01, back in the day), and they're GREAT optics...from 50 yds on out to your max effective range. Sounds like you can't really get to the optimum range for an ACOG; you're smack-dab in the middle of red-dot territory, and, until you can reach out further than 200ish yards, don't worry about the $1000 optic. A decent 4-moa red dot is perfect for your mission.

If you have decent irons (I think you said you had Troy flip ups), I'd recommend getting 500 rounds of ammo and hitting an Appleseed to get the basics down pat and use that as a basis to see what you like, and maybe even meet some like-minded folks that would let you get some trigger time with various optic options. The few dollars you spend getting experience will be the best money you could EVER spend. A weekend at an Appleseed would cost you around $300; an ACOG that isn't right for what you're looking for, after you spend the money, would be a LOT more expensive.

Just some more input...I see that you've ordered a red-dot from PA. Should serve you GREAT. I still recommend that you get to an Appleseed...its a great way to spend a weekend, and you're quite likely to learn a LOT about shooting. Until YOU are a 'pinpoint' shooter, high-end optics aren't going to do anything other than dent your ammo budget.

Byrdman