Camping in the everglades [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Camping in the everglades

miamiglock19
11-29-2010, 14:08
I'm planning on doing some camping now in December in the everglades. I've never gone before and wanted to get some suggestions/ideas from you guys before finalizing anything.

So far the plan is to go by boat (a friend has gone up to 35 miles into the everglades with it) find a spot and set up camp.

Any suggestions on what to take?

cowboywannabe
11-29-2010, 14:10
a friend that runs slower and swims slower than you.

miamiglock19
11-29-2010, 16:46
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jonesee
11-29-2010, 16:50
How much back-country camping experience do you have?

How long are you planning on staying?

Are you a minimalist or into your creature comforts.

miamiglock19
11-29-2010, 17:03
back country experience: haven't been camping in a VERY long time. did the grand canyon in the early/mid 90s.

length of trip: at most 2-3 nights.

I'm not sure what you'd define as a minimalist but I don't mind getting dirty and becoming one with nature. However, I'm not heading out there to be survivor man.

Jonesee
11-29-2010, 17:35
back country experience: haven't been camping in a VERY long time. did the grand canyon in the early/mid 90s.

length of trip: at most 2-3 nights.

I'm not sure what you'd define as a minimalist but I don't mind getting dirty and becoming one with nature. However, I'm not heading out there to be survivor man.

OK, cool:

In no particular order, and avoiding the obvious stuff (tent, bag, food stuffs etc...)

* leave a map with campsite option "A", "B", "C" etc circled at home or with a friend. don't forget this!
* a hand held GPS (turn it on when you enter the boat so it adds the track to memory. (take extra batteries for the gps)
* iodine tablets for water purification
* knife (not an elephant skinner)
* fire starter (cotton balls saturated with vaseline jammed in a film cannister)
* small steel and magnesium fire starter (in case your lighter gets wet)
* fishing pole, preferably 5 part that breaks down, but 2 part break apart will work.
* a handful (3 or 4) of cheap small led flashlights with a few extra batteries
* since you will be in a boat, a snake charmer 410 would be easy to add (drop a few slugs in with it).
* a paperback book.
* sunscreen
* mosquito spray
* a few excedrin/ibuprofen
* roll up a little tiny roll of duct tape about 10 feet long. Great for a lot including closing a cut
* a small towell. think "sham wow".
* a poncho

* Take 2 changes of clothes, including an extra pair of shoes for camp. No more than that.

* Guess the amount of food you think you will need and cut it in half.

The list I just provided will fit in any pack (other than the gun) easily. It will also keep you around long enough for someone to find you if something happens.

miamiglock19
11-29-2010, 19:38
Thanks Jonesee, I really appreciate it.

The map will definitely be left with someone at home and I think one of the two guys has a GPS to take.

I've got most of the things on the list: magnesium fire starter, fishing poles, flashlights, don't have a snake charmer but I do have a shotgun (didn't think about taking the SG just the glock). I will have to get a knife though since the one I had I lost a couple months back.

Any idea where to get some empty film canisters? I've been wanting to get some for a survival kit (to keep cotton balls and some peanut butter).

Again thanks for the help.

bustedknee
11-29-2010, 19:43
There are bugs out there that put Deet on their corn flakes for breakfast.

My wife and I rented a boathouse there once. The bugs were relentless and deadly!

Take much, and many, bug dopes, head nets/gloves, citronella, Permethrin, and a Thermacell.

CanyonMan
11-29-2010, 19:46
a friend that runs slower and swims slower than you.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man I hate swamps, and swamp monsters ! I'm from Oklahoma and now live in W. Texas. My cousins live in Tennessee. When I go there to visit and or hunt, and they take me in those cypress (sp) swamp bottoms, I am sweating like a stuck hog. They took me walking through waist deep water in that mess once to fish for stinking blue gills. I had a tackle box and rods in one hand, and after they told me "mid way through this mess," that the place was full of gators and cotton mouths and such, I pulled my Ruger 44mag out of a shoulder holster and walked through that mess with the hammer cocked ! :wow:

I hate swampy places !

Good luck dude on your camping trip to the glades, and hope we hear from you again....

I'll stick with the cougars and rattlers here on the ranch in the dry canyons ! :tongueout:

CM

CanyonMan
11-29-2010, 19:55
OK, cool:

In no particular order, and avoiding the obvious stuff (tent, bag, food stuffs etc...)

* leave a map with campsite option "A", "B", "C" etc circled at home or with a friend. don't forget this!
* a hand held GPS (turn it on when you enter the boat so it adds the track to memory. (take extra batteries for the gps)
* iodine tablets for water purification
* knife (not an elephant skinner)
* fire starter (cotton balls saturated with vaseline jammed in a film cannister)
* small steel and magnesium fire starter (in case your lighter gets wet)
* fishing pole, preferably 5 part that breaks down, but 2 part break apart will work.
* a handful (3 or 4) of cheap small led flashlights with a few extra batteries
* since you will be in a boat, a snake charmer 410 would be easy to add (drop a few slugs in with it).
* a paperback book.
* sunscreen
* mosquito spray
* a few excedrin/ibuprofen
* roll up a little tiny roll of duct tape about 10 feet long. Great for a lot including closing a cut
* a small towell. think "sham wow".
* a poncho

* Take 2 changes of clothes, including an extra pair of shoes for camp. No more than that.

The list I just provided will fit in any pack (other than the gun) easily. It will also keep you around long enough for someone to find you if something happens.

Jonesee, God bless ya hoss, you sound like a man who knows what the heck he is talking about for glade camping. But my gosh! :wow: If I had to pack all that stuff to go and "have a good time," I'd need a bottle of Xanax to get through it all..... :faint:

If I was the OP i would bail out at this point. :rofl:

CM

ChuteTheMall
11-29-2010, 19:58
Don't listen to any tall tales about the skeeters.

A .410 is plenty big enough for them.

:cool:

Don't pad your bedding with Spanish Moss.
That's the kind of mistake nobody makes twice.
Chiggers aka redbugs will seek out the worst place to bite you.
:shocked:

Take fishing gear, you'll hate yourself if you don't.:fishing:

Polarized sunglasses so you can resist the glare and see under the water.

A looped noose on a stick for relocating pesky snakes.

A banjo.:outtahere:

noway
11-29-2010, 19:59
I'm assuming your serious, if you are than ;

1st what part of the glades are you going into? The glades is a loose word and is made up of numerous terrain and conditions are vary depending on what/where you at.

Jonesse has it right for the very basic stuff, but you not even close as to what I would take if I was serious about this.

You do know they have area rules and summaries on what you can and can't do, can and can't camp at, and place you can and can't start camp fires.

Once you get thru that you need to think about the enviroment, You have sawgrass in most area, and islands of clump of nothing, drain areas that are suited for camping. So where do you pitch a tent at? how do you get to it? And how far from boat is it ? Can you clear an area ? Can carry your goods to the clear area ? Are fire ants around ? ( ooooh so many issues B4 you even popup a tent ;) )

I also see in your list ( jonesee ) of goods your missing one item and got one right, the most important thing is not a 410snake charmer , and that would be a low priority at that & no need for slugs, how about mosquito sprays + netting as in a lot of spray and a lot of netting materials? And you are still going to be bitten and the skeeters are going laugh at your spray, net and thermo-cell :rofl: So bring some skeeter bite treatment medicine and alot of it btw.

Do you have long sleeve shirts and wide bream hats for protection from the sun ?

What do you do if lighting strikes? Where do you go to hide out if it should happen and where your at and right on top of you ?

What happens if fire starts up ( brush fires from the lighting from the above )
Granted your in dec, so this would be minimal risk BUT could still happen. Would you be able to navigate another area and get out of harms way? or back to safety ?

You should never go into the glades without a plan and than 2-3-4 more backup plans.

Great to leave GPS waypoint of where you "might" be at, but what happen if you run out of fuel and drifting, who do you call, heck does your GSM celluar phone work out in the middle of bum****Glades ? ( mine doesn't and I'm barely more than no more than 1-3 miles into the wildness and live aproximately 2miles from the start of the glades technically ;) , you do know off the major thruways, no cell phone towers are situated point into the glades for coverage ) . So I would advise for a EPIRB or portable ham radio.

If you halfway serious on what your trying to do, may I suggest you go explore it first, before you become a search and rescue victim, or show up on our 10/11 O'clock late news, or evacuated in bodies bag by a Dade, Collier or Broward county corner office personnel.

Holiday park would be the best area to explore from Broward county point of view, or camp out on the Leeve in Rotenberger/Holeyland WMA,

And from Dade county you have a fish camp ( Mack's iirc ) that's right next to the reservation and borders the Miami Canal.

Off of Tamiami Trails up have another park setup with a man made camp ground and manual water pumps for non Potable waters. I can send you way-points if you want, if I still have them logged on my GPS.

A person with knowledge would have done this ( exploration & gathering ) before posting on this forum and would then KNOW what he/she would need for 2-3 nights in the glades. And not rely on asking this in a forum.

fwiw;

I would 1st go find a safe fish camp or state manage camp ground, get out and explore that for 1-2 days. It would teach you the basic of what you needs for survival and then judge from that as to what you need to do and improve on. Stay from sunrise to sunrise, so you can get one night of experience.

Jonesee

what do you mean by this ?

I would guess the amount you need and then double it And secure it in at least 2-3 separate containers and position on the boat in case of capsizing event and if that should happen ( very likely if your navigating waters and have stumps or melaleuca stumps below the water surface ). So now your in the water , capsize, lost food, bye GPS, EPIRB, Cell ( unless you had that in a floatable/waterproof container.

:crying:

miamiglock19
11-29-2010, 20:34
Noway: I'm the rookie going on this trip, of the other two at least one of them knows what he's doing. Besides, what would be the fun in starting a thread asking a question I already knew the answer too?

We are going to a camping ground it just happens to be out in the middle of no where. There will be no cell phone coverage or VHF (boat radio). We may be taking a satellite phone but i'm not really worried about it. We'll be leaving a map with our destination.

I am serious about doing this, I just want to get information from the more experienced campers especially those that have done it in the everglades. Keep the advise coming.

Thanks in advance

miamiglock19
11-29-2010, 20:36
Also in Jonesee's defense he did recommend mosquito spray

noway
11-29-2010, 21:41
Noway: I'm the rookie going on this trip, of the other two at least one of them knows what he's doing. Besides, what would be the fun in starting a thread asking a question I already knew the answer too?

We are going to a camping ground it just happens to be out in the middle of no where. There will be no cell phone coverage or VHF (boat radio). We may be taking a satellite phone but i'm not really worried about it. We'll be leaving a map with our destination.

I am serious about doing this, I just want to get information from the more experienced campers especially those that have done it in the everglades. Keep the advise coming.

Thanks in advance

Here you go for starters

http://www.myfwc.com/docs/Brochures/10-11_Everglades.pdf

Read all rules once and then again. Pay attention to camping and fires regulations and also for firearms and the season that they apply to. Your snake charmer would be confiscate at best if your boarded by FL-FWC officers and they see it.

Here's Mack Fish camp info. Great spot and full of history and information.

http://macksfishcamp.com/

There's a few abandon camps in the middle of bum****glades, but you will need a Airboat ( FanBoat ) to get to it. I would go visit Mack's and speak to them. They may give you waypoints or directions to these camps. Right off the sawgrass, I think a camp exists in 2B. When you get to collier, the conditions and enviroment changes, but read the rules and get farmilar as to what/where you can be at that time of the year/month.

Striking a fire is going to be limiting if you want to do it legally and if something goes astray and a rogue flame breaks out and your small fire becomes a nature disaster, don't expect the state to be nice to you.

A satellite phone should be okay, but what happens if it doesn't work ? or you loose it or it falls into gator fested waters?

Think this out very seriously and have some plans and planning.

Here's what noway would do to add to jonesee list

I would carry enough food that sealed in a natural pkg or better yet, vacuum sealed. Canned dried goods would be best from protection from ants, flies, and water contamination.

All foods would be split between 2 or 3 containers and I mean waterproof containers and coon proof. I would becaution to leave it on a boat but it should be okay. But we do have bears and where ever your at on dry land, could be bear habitat. I wouldn't worry about blackie the bear attacking you ( they are federal protected ), but something to think about.

true story, I found out coons can open ammo cans,

The best secured containers are LOCKed ammo cans. A milspec 7.62 containers holds 1500 rounds or alot of dried jerky and canned chicken or tune. A coon will not get that open if you lock it.

If you see panther, count your self bless and don't leave you food or trash out. They will investigate it along with bear, bobcat, feral cat, coon, o'possum and skunk or anything with 4 or more legs. I've seen 2 panthers alive in the glades outside of a exhibit and one dead or just hit & dying. They are cool and zero threat unless your a goat or small calf.

Next, water is probably more important than food, and you could drink the glades water ( it freshwater ) if you where in a pinch. I would do the same like with the food. Waterproof ( waterproof sounds stupid, but it's not ) and separate in 2-3 more containers. I would also carry some 24oz personal containers like probably 4-6 cases of 24 bottles

now for life and convenience; mosquito spray and I mean alot of it. You will get BITTEN regardless. For night you might want to look at netting and use that ducttape for sealing the ends. It makes for quick entry and exiting and re-sealing when you have to exit your tent to relieve yourself.

I would also add to that rool of tape, some medical or athletic tape. Seal it in ziplock bags and separate it. You could use the duct tape for serious cuts, bruises.

I would also carry 2-3 pairs of shoes/boot/hipwader and if you have shoes, place them in big ziplock bags. A trick I use when hiking the florida trails and have to cross water obstacle where you WILL get wet. You carry the spare shoes and socks in your ziplock bag, along with some newspaper to wick the water away. If your feet get wet, pull out backup pair and continue on. If you come to another water or possible obstacle, you can elect to try with the shoes you have on now, or pull out the previous wet pair and procced, once you reach dry land if that's even possible, pull out dry shoes, dry your feet and continue on. BTW hiking the florida trails in some part is bad for the average joe, but not as nearly bad as being in the middle of the glades and bum**** middle of nowhere.

4 Flash lights, and separate into to 2-5 locations. Use the duct tape to secure it on the boat or better yet a lanyard around your neck is best. If you have a light you like alot, buy 2 more and or some spare bulbs.

Alternative around the camp for safety and animal distractor would be chemical or cyalumes for examples. Hanging on whatever you can hang them on. They are great for marking areas around your camp.

For firewood, you will need to carry that and not rely on finding it just laying around. It isn't like a oak or hickory trees are laying around awaiting to be burned :rofl:

if you don't insist on a fire, than a propane tank and burn and sterno for small reheating jobs. Dec can be cold, so it could be cool to near 35-40degs at night.

I would also keep on me, waterproof matches and along with that a lighter. Lighters are known to fail after getting wet or falling aboard. A few candle would not be a bad ideal.

I would carry an additional 2-5gal of fuel in 2 containers. Duct tape or secure it to the boat & away from the engine area.

I would carry enough spare oil for the engine and a spare plug.Never knows what will happen.

I would also carry a spare prop if your not in a air/fanboat. Props are known to break, crack, get caught on everything outside of a shoestring and unless your in a boghog mudboat and no prop shield, you should expect to bump into every thing from A to Z to include rocks, stumps, sunken boat parts, trash or even a gator and yes all of these above have happen to me at one given time.

I would back up my sat phone with some other means of signalling. A EPIRB would be ideal but a flaregun would be the minimal. I would also use a finemespot or similar for locator ( google it ).Sat phones would not provide reliable "location" when compared to a EPIRB or other beacon. If a life death or other on the water emergency should happen.

And finally, I would invest into ear plugs, cause your not going to get a good night sleep from all of the outdoor noises, and with that, I mean the 20K skeeters buzzing your netted tent continously from sunset to sunrise, looking for any entrance into your ducttape sealed tent /bag/cot or whatever you have.And yes 20K skeeters is probably a conservative number and they are loud.

Then you have 5+k frogs croaking non-stop and your wondering why these frogs don't eat all of them skeeters ;)

Next you will have some stupid birds and owls making all sorts of noises for whatever reeason and hooting all night,

And then the 1K other noises that you have NO CLUE as to what created it :wavey:

Lastly after you have all of the above secured, you need your 35mm or D_SLR. Glades is filled to the bream with exotic games, rare birds, a panther might sneak by , or you could find one of these pythons that the news Team makes it seems like one is around every corner.

Also in Jonesee's defense he did recommend mosquito spray

You know a wild mosquito is going to laugh at your spray. I hunted middle of glades for ducks and in about 2-4 hours of standing in water up to my chestline, I was probably bitten by 3 dozen skeeters & battle 10k of their friends. And unlike city skeeters, they fly and bit thru out the day, thru your clothes, they try to bite thru my rubber waders ( and yes they are that cocky).

Now picture your self in the middle of this for 2-3 days/night in your glades of all places & in your clothing. Boy are you going to be in a surprise of your life.

Also you have other flying things that could cares less about DEET, Citronella, lemongrass or eucalypthus oil based sprays & yes I've tried all of that with little to no luck. You will have no-see-um, bitting flies, etc... all trying to bite you.

I can tell from your responses, your a newbie and have little to no experience in the outdoors in the middle of the glades if you choose to head that way for 2-3 days/nights of honest back country.

Good luck with your encounter & and I wish you the best & be safe, you will learn very quickly, that mother nature is not always picture perfect and friendly.

Please take before and after photos and post it on GT. We will need something to laugh at :tongueout:

duncan
11-30-2010, 02:12
Just be careful and frosty in the everglades. I've heard stories of folks being robbed of their guns down there. Kapish?

CanyonMan
11-30-2010, 10:21
Just be careful and frosty in the everglades. I've heard stories of folks being robbed of their guns down there. Kapish?

:rofl:

Man oh man ! OP I know your serious hoss, and I am NOT makin fun here. I know these old boys and I'm "sure" their advise is something you better listen to, as they know what they are talking about. ;)

BUT, man i am sitting here laughing my backside off, feelin so sorry for ya I can't stand it !

Killer Mosquitoes, tons of netting, you need a full medical chest, and a doctor and a nurse, and swamp boats, a ton of water 4 flash lights, a suit of armor, a bazooka, and watch for gun stealing bandito's, not to mention the gators and cotton mouths, plus at least 300#'s of other assorted survival gear, and don't forget those flares !

I would carry one extra bullet, (you'll know what to do with that).

Man I am just trying to picture this as FUN ! I mean dang. I live in the desert SW, and am always outside, and sometimes in the high Rockie mountain range etc. I didn't take this much stuff on the pack train ! :rofl:

Again, I know these amigo's are telling you the truth, and giving great advice as they have done this stuff. I am just tremendously amused at all this as being FUN ! :rofl:

Sounds more like a 13 month tour in Viet Nam ! LOL.

Sorry. Whew! If nothing else man I got a great laugh out of all this..

Good Lord man, stay safe and have your local Church praying for you ! :whistling:

Have fun ? :dunno:

CM

miamiglock19
11-30-2010, 10:34
LOL I know they mean well, the trip won't be for a few weeks but i'll definitely keep you guys updated on it.

Again thanks to all who have responded and given their insight, its greatly appreciated.

my favorite advice so far is: "a friend that runs slower and swims slower than you." cracks me up every time I read it.

Dennis in MA
11-30-2010, 12:06
Based on what I lurnd on Swamp People, leave your rancid-chicken necklace at home.

ChuteTheMall
11-30-2010, 12:21
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9803/evergladespython.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/i/evergladespython.jpg/)

Cool boots.

IndyGunFreak
11-30-2010, 12:24
I'm taking my winter excursion this weekend, but i'm more of a car camper. For the first time in a long, long time, we're going to actually go to a campground at a state park. Mainly because we're taking a couple of friends that have never been camping, and don't want to scare them to badly.

Weather looks great.. Warmest it will be, is mid-30's, lows in the teens, but we're going to be very close to a large lake, so I expect a stiff breeze to make it quite a bit colder.. 20% chance of snow the first two days, 30% Sunday. I'm hoping they are at least semi-prepared, but I'm taking plenty of stuff in case they are not. I'm guessing the tent heater will get a workout.

RWBlue
11-30-2010, 17:01
After Canoing the BWCA, I keep saying I want to canoe the everglades multi day passage, but.....it hasn't happened.

Please let me know how your trip goes.

Jonesee
11-30-2010, 17:28
Jonesee

It's been my experience that less experienced campers take way too much food. In fact I have never seen one eat nearly the amount he brought. In the glades with a rod and reel, as long he also has a hook he will catch fish.

Someone else commented on the amount of supplies I recommend. Most of it can fit a 1 gallon ziplock bag. Everything I listed can be put in a day pack. Even with tent and bag you aren't talking that much in a regular back pack.

Someone commented on how to pack in case something tragic happens. I don't worry too much about the food I carry because it is sealed and will typically float even with the pack. When I am offshore (especially with someone I used to fish with I didn't trust) I threw my GPS in a ziplock bag with a paper towel or small wash cloth to absorb condensation. On his boat I carried it in my back pocket. Offshore the track is not important, just the shortest point to land.

and finally, when I say mosguito spray, I am speaking of products that contain deet. (AND FOR THE RECORD, NORTHERN ONTARIO HAS THE WORST MOSQUITOS AND BLACK FLIES I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED) The glades aren't near as bad as that...

To the OP. Don't let these guys bother you. It is all in your attitude. Have a good one and you will have fun. If you go out to fight and conquer mother nature you will lose and be miserable in the process.

you don't say where in the glades you will be, but if you are in the southern glades the temp in mid-dec are typically 70-80 degree high. Nights 65-75 degrees.

Jonesee
11-30-2010, 17:37
OP... rarley do people really get lost in the glades. But if you do...

SIT YOUR *** DOWN, get comfortable and wait. They will find you quicker than you find them.

RWBlue
11-30-2010, 19:48
Jonesee

It's been my experience that less experienced campers take way too much food. In fact I have never seen one eat nearly the amount he brought. In the glades with a rod and reel, as long he also has a hook he will catch fish.

I agree to a point. It is a matter of understanding what you will eat. I over over packed on my first trip to the BWCA. I caught fish and everything worked out. But even if I didn't catch fish, I would have packed food out. Trip two, I caught 1 fish. If i didn't leave early, I would have been hungry. Trip three was a mixed bag. I caught some fish so I had some food left over, but not much.

glock33SIGLVR
12-01-2010, 16:21
Hello Mr miami glock! what part of mia you in? Im by Kendall. I'm sure your gonna have a great time. How many people are you going with? I say take as much stuff as you want. By the last day you will see what stuff you really didn't need and will be able to pack better for the next trip. Did you buy your knife yet? Check out the moras. Funny, i find myself using a knife more in other environments than the glades. anyone else too?
You have no known allergies correct? As far as the skeeters, i deet up every 3-4 hours, skin, then on clothes. If and when you do apply sunscreen, spray some in the palm of your hand,mix the two, that's been working great for me. Have fun!

noway
12-02-2010, 16:17
Jonesee

That might be true, but the words of have and don't need and need and don't have, comes to mind. I would rather have and don't need for a 2-3days/nights in something like the outback of the glades. You never know what might happen .

OP... rarley do people really get lost in the glades. But if you do..

Lost but broken down or capsize or other mechanical issues, always comes up in the glades. I've seen every thing from the airboat race gone bad to prop decides to fall off.

if you not in a group setting or with other boats, you should always be prepared for the worst.

here's the most recent lost in the glades story for my area

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-09-21/news/fl-everglades-rescue-20100920_1_father-and-daughter-everglades-young-daughter

Only 11miles in at that :wavey:

bustedknee
12-03-2010, 15:58
You don't need all that "emergency" gear like sat phone, GPS, first aid kit, etc.

Just carry a handgun.

If you get into trouble such as lost, run out of food, break a leg, just shoot something that is out of season.

A game warden will find you in minutes.

paynter2
12-04-2010, 03:53
We used to go canoeing for a few days at a time. For food, cloths, anything we wanted to keep dry, we used 3 gallon pails with gasket-ed lids. We'd get them from a guy who has a pop-corn business. Cheese and caramel flavoring came in them. Wash them out and presto - great water-proof containers.

The lids had to be pried off - they would never come off on their own. They're light, they float AND - they made great camp stools! Then, when you got home, they were stack-able.

I would bet these pails are common in the food industry.

Kegs
12-04-2010, 06:15
Well MR. Miami Glock,

You are gonna have a lot of fun if you actually do make the trip.

I am not sure where you are going in the Everglades, if you are going out of Homestead or Chokloskee (SP?), but it's a beautiful place, that's for sure.

The alligators aren't as active in the winter, nor are the snakes, but still you have to keep your eyes open and if the brush (palmettos mostly) is real thick, watch where you step because you don't want to get bit by a diamondback. Water mocs/cottonmouths are nasty too.

Alligators aren't really a problem for a man they typically won't bother you - neither will the crocs (as few as there are), but still give them wide berth or you are going to have a challenge on your hands.

The thing that will definitely bother you are mosquitoes.
They aren't so much around during the daytime, but as soon as dusk comes, they come out of the woodwork nearly as bad as anywhere I've been (and I have some experience with biters). Also, while there are many places to camp on the ground in the swamp, I would recommend a jungle-type hammock in that country (one with noseeum screening), because you never know where you will end up out there, and some places don't have land. Don't forget the area is somewhat tidal - so string your hammock high. :supergrin:

Kegs
12-04-2010, 07:31
Holy crap I just read the earlier posts in the thread.

What a friggin' joke.

Chris Asaro who was a USPS licensed guide down there for over 10 years and who has been back in the swamp as far most anyone else would laugh his ass off at this thread.

Myself, well I'm not going to say what I do on here, but let's just say I have expert level experience in multiple environments.

I hope somehow Chris A finds this one (but I doubt he will).

I'm with the guys who say take half the food (and make sure to take tasty stuff like BACON! if you have the luxury of going in via motor-powered boat :supergrin:)

You don't need a bunch of garbage like sat phones and ham radios and giant med kits laying around. It's ridiculous.

Those are unnecessary conveniences which will prove to hinder you more than help you, and are VERY unlikely to save your behind if the unlikely emergency does happen. You can talk to whoever you want and even if they do have the GPS coordiantes (definitely DO bring a GPS by the way - this is actually worthwhile in the tidal canals which can and do change quite a bit - much easier to nav than w/compass), they may not find you in time due to access (if it is really back in).

You're taking a risk, and imo it is a very small one, so as long as you know that and don't pull anything stupid like attempting "serpent handling sermon stunts" or karate kid crane stance on the edge of the boat for your friends, (seen plenty of this retardedness done before) you'll be fine. Take a handgun if you want, you won't likely need it. I would take it - if for any other reason, I can. :cool:

The biggest real threat out there is typical of any outdoor excursion: dehydration and hypothermia. It's so simple to prepare for, I'm not gonna bother explaining it.

There are a thousand things that could go wrong and a million things that could go right, so have fun and don't let these fearmongers bother you.

Make sure you trust the guys your with.

Make sure you take a friggin compass (brunton 8040G is perfect for this) and a knife because GPS doesn't always work, batteries die and you can always walk or swim your way out of places if you still know where you are vs. where you want to get to (don't forget to set the declination) and you might use the knife to help you build **** you need, but if your friends are dip****s taking you on a snipe hunt, that compass is going to come in handy the most. A small led flashlight (think locking switch keychain light) may also come in handy.

Hands-free lights are the best.

Keep whatever shelter you build off the ground down there.

:supergrin:

Specialized gear I would take:

~30L pack.
Elite bug shirt from the bug shirt company in Ontario, Canada. (Google them) in tan color.
-Light turkey hunting camo gloves (the spandex sort)
-Nylon zip-off leg pants
-Nylon guide shirt
-side-zip lightweight boots that drain water
-lightweight wool socks
-Gore tex Ball cap
-Packable goretex jacket
-Pair of shades
-lanyards for pocket knives, keys, etc. attached to belt.
-collapsible fishing pole with 8x test and a decent reel
-small amount of light tackle
-expedition hammock from the mosquito hammock company (google) + rigging strapping and a couple of carabiners (the real kind for climbing, not the kind you get at the wal-mart checkout counter)
-100' of 550 cord
-camelbak 3L
-Water purifier or desalinator (depending on what part of everglades)
-Small spray bottle of >35% deet

The rest of the gear is as typical excursions.

One tip: do not stick around airstrips or canals near airstrips out there for any longer than is necessary - and especially not during night time hours.

Last thing: Take a camera and post some pics of your trip on here!!!

RWBlue
12-04-2010, 08:32
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9803/evergladespython.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/i/evergladespython.jpg/)

Cool boots.

Snakes, why did it have to be snakes, I hate snakes.

glock33SIGLVR
12-04-2010, 10:09
Holy crap I just read the earlier posts in the thread.

What a friggin' joke.

Chris Asaro who was a USPS licensed guide down there for over 10 years and who has been back in the swamp as far most anyone else would laugh his ass off at this thread.

Myself, well I'm not going to say what I do on here, but let's just say I have expert level experience in multiple environments.

I hope somehow Chris A finds this one (but I doubt he will).

I'm with the guys who say take half the food (and make sure to take tasty stuff like BACON! if you have the luxury of going in via motor-powered boat :supergrin:)

You don't need a bunch of garbage like sat phones and ham radios and giant med kits laying around. It's ridiculous.

Those are unnecessary conveniences which will prove to hinder you more than help you, and are VERY unlikely to save your behind if the unlikely emergency does happen. You can talk to whoever you want and even if they do have the GPS coordiantes (definitely DO bring a GPS by the way - this is actually worthwhile in the tidal canals which can and do change quite a bit - much easier to nav than w/compass), they may not find you in time due to access (if it is really back in).

You're taking a risk, and imo it is a very small one, so as long as you know that and don't pull anything stupid like attempting "serpent handling sermon stunts" or karate kid crane stance on the edge of the boat for your friends, (seen plenty of this retardedness done before) you'll be fine. Take a handgun if you want, you won't likely need it. I would take it - if for any other reason, I can. :cool:

The biggest real threat out there is typical of any outdoor excursion: dehydration and hypothermia. It's so simple to prepare for, I'm not gonna bother explaining it.

There are a thousand things that could go wrong and a million things that could go right, so have fun and don't let these fearmongers bother you.

Make sure you trust the guys your with.

Make sure you take a friggin compass (brunton 8040G is perfect for this) and a knife because GPS doesn't always work, batteries die and you can always walk or swim your way out of places if you still know where you are vs. where you want to get to (don't forget to set the declination) and you might use the knife to help you build **** you need, but if your friends are dip****s taking you on a snipe hunt, that compass is going to come in handy the most. A small led flashlight (think locking switch keychain light) may also come in handy.

Hands-free lights are the best.

Keep whatever shelter you build off the ground down there.

:supergrin:

Specialized gear I would take:

~30L pack.
Elite bug shirt from the bug shirt company in Ontario, Canada. (Google them) in tan color.
-Light turkey hunting camo gloves (the spandex sort)
-Nylon zip-off leg pants
-Nylon guide shirt
-side-zip lightweight boots that drain water
-lightweight wool socks
-Gore tex Ball cap
-Packable goretex jacket
-Pair of shades
-lanyards for pocket knives, keys, etc. attached to belt.
-collapsible fishing pole with 8x test and a decent reel
-small amount of light tackle
-expedition hammock from the mosquito hammock company (google) + rigging strapping and a couple of carabiners (the real kind for climbing, not the kind you get at the wal-mart checkout counter)
-100' of 550 cord
-camelbak 3L
-Water purifier or desalinator (depending on what part of everglades)
-Small spray bottle of >35% deet

The rest of the gear is as typical excursions.

One tip: do not stick around airstrips or canals near airstrips out there for any longer than is necessary - and especially not during night time hours.

Last thing: Take a camera and post some pics of your trip on here!!!

Thank you!!!! Yea, i loved how one post mentioned the county coroner with body bags.. "If he only had a HAM radio and 70 lbs of other items he'd still be alive.." You really dont need more than 1 back up plan, if your first one is solid.