Kimber mags, why the bad rap?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber mags, why the bad rap??

FLIPPER 348
11-29-2010, 20:20
I asked on another thread why a poster called the Kimber magus crap but there was no reply. He is not the only one I've seen bash the Kimber mags.

I've never had any issues with Kimber mags so why the bad rap??

bac1023
11-29-2010, 20:24
I've never had issues with any of mine either.

That said, I don't have thousands and thousands of rounds through them either.

rsxr22
11-29-2010, 20:46
I call em crap because thats exactly how theyve ran in all the 4 Kimber's ive owned. I got rid of all them, magazines and guns, but still kept one of the kimpro's just to use as a barney mag for competition.

There really isnt any logic behind it, they just didnt work! I bought a SIS and got a WC mag as well. Took the gun to the range and forgot to bring the WC mag in... Through 4 mags, I had FTF's in every single magazine. Remembered that i bought the WC at the shop, ran back to the car to grab it, and loaded it up and it was like magic--the gun worked the rest of the time the whole way through! A lot of people have always commented on how poorly functioning Kimber's are.. I personally never had issues with functioning as long as i was running wilson, cmc, tripp, or dawson. The reason i stop buying and sold mine were because they were lacking of attention to detail and HORRIBLE customer service

dakrat
11-29-2010, 21:51
mimmed out mags :supergrin:

Quack
11-29-2010, 21:59
my Kimber mags work well, but the springs have worn out fairly quickly. i need to get new springs because it fails to feed the round every so often when shooting.

BTW these are the .22LR mags ;)

Glock30fan
11-29-2010, 22:18
Had a couple of problems with standard Kimber mags, but their KimPro TacMags (I use the 8rnd stainless) are great! I have about 10 of them and never had a single problem.

MD357
11-29-2010, 23:22
That member was me. :cool: :wavey:

I've seen significantly more problems with their mags than any other manufacturer. I dunno how many times I've seen a CMC PM, Wilson, or Tripp mag "fix" a kimber. You'd figure if you're paying $1000 for a MIM filled 1911 they'd at least throw in a $30 (Quality) mag.

AZ Husker
11-29-2010, 23:38
I think the new Kimpro mags today are fine. I've been collecting original Kimbers since they first came out. The old McCormick mags that used to come stock were trouble. The followers would actually drift out in front of the mag body. This caused some serious trouble with alloy frames when the pointy follower would actually hit the feed ramp.

cole
11-30-2010, 01:08
Tac-Pro Mags are great IMO. A great "value" mag and as such one of the better kept 1911 mag secrets IMO. All mine have always been perfect.

Stock mags that come with the gun not so much. No quite so always perfect.

HAIL CAESAR
11-30-2010, 08:57
I've seen significantly more problems with their mags than another other manufacturer. I dunno how many times I've seen a CMC PM, Wilson, or Tripp mag "fix" a kimber. You'd figure if you're paying $1000 for a MIM filled 1911 they'd at least throw in a $30 (Quality) mag.

I agree.

tx787
11-30-2010, 10:41
I only have experience with one, the stock magazine that came with my Stainless II. When using that magazine I usually experience a failure of some nature, typically FTE about every other time the magazine is loaded and used. The same pistol, when using Wilson magazines, has had zero failures of any kind for 900 rounds. I may have received an unusually bad magazine, however I do not have a problem spending a few dollars more for a magazine that I know will work without issue.

Rinspeed
11-30-2010, 11:21
I'm pretty sure the Kimber mags are made by MIM like their barrels and frames. :dunno:

CAcop
11-30-2010, 12:09
That member was me. :cool: :wavey:

I've seen significantly more problems with their mags than any other manufacturer. I dunno how many times I've seen a CMC PM, Wilson, or Tripp mag "fix" a kimber. You'd figure if you're paying $1000 for a MIM filled 1911 they'd at least throw in a $30 (Quality) mag.

They send out a cheap mag with good gun for the same reason why some high end gun makers send out one mag. They figure the new owners ar going to buy other more expensive mags as soon as they get the gun. Why bother putting anything good in the case or handing out more than one mag if it is just going to sit in a safe unused anyway.

Does anyone here actually use the mags that were sent with their guns?

I don't.

okie
11-30-2010, 15:57
I also have had bad luck with Kimber mags. I was having feeding problems, assumed it was the gun, put in a differnt brand mag ad the gun was flawless:supergrin:

rsxr22
11-30-2010, 16:12
They send out a cheap mag with good gun for the same reason why some high end gun makers send out one mag. They figure the new owners ar going to buy other more expensive mags as soon as they get the gun. Why bother putting anything good in the case or handing out more than one mag if it is just going to sit in a safe unused anyway.

I don't.

Yup!! My first semi custom is on its way, but i will definitely be using the crap outta those cheapo wilson mags that come with mine. I'll probably even get as bold to use the ACT mags that come with the Nighthawk

Hokie1911
11-30-2010, 16:24

I don't.

So the mag Ed Brown is sending with my Kobra Carry is junk? And I really wasted my money buying a 2nd one? :dunno:

thecableguy
11-30-2010, 16:26

I don't.
On a Rock Island i expect that the mags might be cheap. On a gun that I pay twice the money you bet your ass I am going to use the mag that it came with. I work hard for my money and when I purchase a gun that can cost 800 or more I expect to get my monies worth. That is ridiculous to spend that kind of money and not run correctly because of a simple mag issue. When I finish paying off my Wilson I am going to use the hell out of the mags supplied with it. I rather use the money to buy a nice holster instead of mags that should of been right from the get go. Think about it it's like going to buy a brand spanking new car and the radio doesn't work. Are you going to say "oh that's ok I am going to change it out anyways?"

Boxerglocker
11-30-2010, 18:30
Tac-Pro Mags are great IMO. A great "value" mag and as such one of the better kept 1911 mag secrets IMO. All mine have always been perfect.

Stock mags that come with the gun not so much. No quite so always perfect.

I use the Kimber Tac-Pro Mags in my Eclipse Pro II for SD, carry... no problems with them at all.

zhix
11-30-2010, 18:43
In 2 Kimbers I have owned the supplied mags were not as reliable as Wilsons or CMCs.

maslin
11-30-2010, 19:33
My KimPro Tac Mags have all been flawless. Stock (old) Springfield mags... Not so much.

Jason D
11-30-2010, 19:50
I have never had a problem with any of the Kimber factory magazines.
There seems to be two tiers of them. The normal ones and the best ones.
Both kinds have proved reliable.

Unlike some of the expensive 47 d's I have.

AZ Husker
11-30-2010, 19:59
I believe the story is a left over from when Kimber shipped CMC "Shooting Star" mags. They were the ones with the follower issues.

Jason D
11-30-2010, 20:38
I believe the story is a left over from when Kimber shipped CMC "Shooting Star" mags. They were the ones with the follower issues.

I have never seen Kimber that came with CMC magazines.
From my very early Target model to the Super Match, and Gold Target II.

Supposedly the very early Kimbers were built out of CMC parts.

AZ Husker
11-30-2010, 21:21
The CMC "Shooting Star" mags were their economy mags, and came stock with Kimbers for the first several years of manufacturing. They weren't marked CMC, but the followers had the shooting stars. Kimber's used several mag manufacturers since then.

Ranger45
11-30-2010, 21:35
Zero problems with the three Kimber standard mags I use...and I use them quite a bit.

CAcop
11-30-2010, 22:50
Yup!! My first semi custom is on its way, but i will definitely be using the crap outta those cheapo wilson mags that come with mine. I'll probably even get as bold to use the ACT mags that come with the Nighthawk

I had problems with my ACT mags. I cracked the baseplates on a couple of training days. Cold days and hard concrete were too much for them. PSI sent me baseplates as replacements. They also told me to boil/steam them for a couple of hours to keep them from drying out. They said they were going to change the formula of the plastic to keep them from cracking. If you bought any within the last 6 months they should be the new versions. I bought them because they were the cheapest 8 rounders from Brownells with the LE discount. Just under $14.00. Like I said cheap magazines.

If I use them for patrol I don't expect them to last if I get in a gunfight and drop them on a hard surface.

I actually like my Metalform/Springfield 7 rounders with rubber baseplates out of all the mags I have. Better than Wilson, CMC, and Colt. I'd be willing to try Kimber's because they look suspiciously like Metalforms.