Glock Frame Sizes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Frame Sizes

dmcdonnell
11-30-2010, 10:06
Specifically the Glock 29 and 30

Guys/Gals,

I have had this discussion with a few friends and I even brought it up to the local Glock Rep at the last Glock Days event.

Why is it do you think that Glock does not offer their two largest caliber handguns in the Compact frame?

I mean it does not make sense that you can get either one in the Sub-Compact Frame, and we all know that Glock just chops the grip and slide length down to make the subs.

I would LOVE to have a 10mm or .45 ACP in a gun sized just the same as my Glock 23 and 19

The Glock rep simply stated the company line and pushed the .45 GAP, but that is not the question I asked him, he was trying to hype the .45 GAP and his explanation fell flat.

Here is a photo showing the logic behind my argument. As you can see, the grip length would allow +1 in capacity and the slide length would only be few mm longer

Dave

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5127/5216409705_5b0034fa0a_b.jpg

JR
11-30-2010, 13:12
The G29 & G30 are compact frame guns. You are asking (trying anyway) why they do not offer a sub-compact. The problem is: a large framed (10/45 ACP) sub-compact would hold less than 10 rounds and require a complicated recoil spring system to function reliably. More hassle than what it is worth.
Your pic is misleading. The black gun in the back is a 20/21. The gun in red is most likely a 17/22. The green gun is the 29/30. A true subcompact would be smaller than the green 29/30. The red gun 17/22 should not be used in this comparison because it is a different series gun. In this instance the 17/22 compared to the 19/23 is a better comparison.

dmcdonnell
11-30-2010, 15:57
Let me try again to be clearer...

The 29 and 30 ARE sub-compact guns.. according to Glock's website.

I am asking why we can't get the 10mm and .45ACP calibers in the COMPACT frame size, as the grip length would be able to accomodate at least +1 rounds compared to the subs.

The photo is NOT misleading. I used the EXACT measurements from Glocks own site and then overlaid the guns using the triggerguard as the common point.

The blue gun in the back is the Glock 20/21 frame size. The red gun in the middle is the Glock 19/23 frame size, and the green gun in front is the Glock 29, becaus ethe 30 has the extended magazine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77332683@N00/5222268060/

Dave

The G29 & G30 are compact frame guns. You are asking (trying anyway) why they do not offer a sub-compact. The problem is: a large framed (10/45 ACP) sub-compact would hold less than 10 rounds and require a complicated recoil spring system to function reliably. More hassle than what it is worth.
Your pic is misleading. The black gun in the back is a 20/21. The gun in red is most likely a 17/22. The green gun is the 29/30. A true subcompact would be smaller than the green 29/30. The red gun 17/22 should not be used in this comparison because it is a different series gun. In this instance the 17/22 compared to the 19/23 is a better comparison.

JR
11-30-2010, 16:16
If you drop your G29 on top of a G19 (as in the pic) you will see they are virtually the same over-all size.
They can call it anything they like but the actual size tells all. My point is that they would have to do a whole lot of work to make it any smaller. I doubt they will ever entertain the thought.

dmcdonnell
12-01-2010, 07:29
What part of this are you not getting.. I am not saying I want it SMALLER.. I want to know why they cant offer it BIGGER.. as in the size of the G23 or G19... As in, offer a 10mm or .45 ACP in the COMPACT frame size..!!

See the blank space next to the Glock 20 and 21 in the chart? What I want is a slightly larger model that is the same size as the Compact versions

I am not trying to be a dick, I just want to make sure you understand what I am sayin...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5166/5222268060_d6a9ff5c2b_z.jpg

If you drop your G29 on top of a G19 (as in the pic) you will see they are virtually the same over-all size.
They can call it anything they like but the actual size tells all. My point is that they would have to do a whole lot of work to make it any smaller. I doubt they will ever entertain the thought.

JR
12-01-2010, 21:21
I guess you don’t get my point?
There is no money in it to make it smaller.
They will not make it slightly bigger because it already rivals the 19/23 size pistols. You get it the way it is or get the full size. They will not change, believe me.