S.A. Mil-Spec Recoil Spring problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S.A. Mil-Spec Recoil Spring problem

Jim S.
12-01-2010, 13:39
I recently bought a used Mil-Spec that looked to be pristine in condition.
Didn't look like it had fired more than a few rounds.
You can tell by the rub marks on the barrel and everywhere else that the parkerized finish makes contact with another parkerized finish such as slide to frame rails.
Anyway I finally took it to the range yesterday and shot 200 rounds through her.
I had a few times where the slide did not completely go into battery and it just needed a little push and it was in.
So when I got home and cleaned her up real good I looked at the recoil spring.
I have a bunch of spare parts and springs and just about everything because I've had 1911's for many years.
I compared the stock spring to a few good quality springs both in 16 and 18 lbs.
The Springfield Armory spring was at least 2 full coils shorter than any other spring I had.
I decided to look at another Mil-Spec that i have and sure enough it also was 2 coils shorter than the other springs.
Now this one shot great without any issues but it did seem like the slide recoiled pretty hard as did the latest one that didn't always go into battery.
I changed both recoil springs and I wonder if S.A. uses cheapo springs in their lower priced 1911's.
If you have a Springer and have any slide battering or failures to go into battery I would suggest getting a better quality recoil spring.
They are cheap and it sure wouldn't hurt to be sure that the recoil spring is up to snuff. (shooting or carrying)
Just thought I would pass that on.

silversport
12-01-2010, 14:36
I always change mine to ISMI 16 lb recoil springs...no issues since 2003 on my 6 1911s of varying makes (all had 16 lb springs as stock)...

I had issues with my newer purchased (but 1974 made) Seecamp DA45 conversion on a 70 Series Government...changed to the old faithful spring...and like you mention, they are so inexpensive...and no more issues...good advice Jim S>

Bill

Jim S.
12-01-2010, 15:06
I didn't think it was necessary as both of these Mil-Specs are pretty low in the amount of rounds fired through them.

DRAGON1970
12-01-2010, 16:49
Install a new 16lb spring. Someone may have cut the other to make it easier to draw the slide back or it could have shortened through firing.

Magus
12-01-2010, 18:26
I never had a battery issue or any issues for that matter with my Mil Spec or GI, but I know sorta what you're talking about in regards to the recoil spring. I found the stock recoil spring on my Mil Spec felt a bit too light, so I did a little comparison. The stock springs from SA are all rated at 16lbs.

In comparison to equal rated springs, they for whatever reason appear shorter. I went so far as to count the coils on the SA compared to some others I had. Equal coils, yet the Springer spring was shorter. Metallurgy and physics I'm sure come into play here, but I won't pretend I understand why.

GI is still using its stock recoil spring. My Mil Spec I swapped out for a heavier Wolff. 18lbs and it seems happy.

That's the beauty of a 1911 though compared to some other handguns. If you have an issue, for the most part, they're pretty easy to troubleshoot.