which trp to purchase? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which trp to purchase?

oldtimer48
12-01-2010, 16:54
i currently own a sti spartan, i have been bitten with the 1911 bug, thanks! anyhow i just sold my glock 30 and looking to replace it with a springfield trp i see you can order one with a bull barrel or a match barrel with bushing. i will be target shooting mainly. i am more accurate with the 1911 over the glocks and i enjoy shooting the 1911 over the glock i'm just looking for some suggestions and help thanks john

Quack
12-01-2010, 17:04
the Bull barrel is on the Operator (light rail), the regular TRP's are bushing barrels.
so it's up to you, rail (Op) or no rail = bull (Op) or bushing = adjustable (Op) or fixed sights.

if it's just a Range/Target gun, look at the Trophy Match or Range Officer.

rsxr22
12-01-2010, 17:06
like Quack said, The operator has the bull barrel and adjustable sights. If your main focus is target shooting, grab the Operator. A lot of people go with the standard TRP because they dont like railed 1911's.

oldtimer48
12-01-2010, 17:11
thanks to both of you for getting back to me so quick, yes i would prefer the adjustable rear sight, the part that through me was the standard trp comes with a bushing i assume there is some type of bushing on the bull barrel as well

Quack
12-01-2010, 17:16
thanks to both of you for getting back to me so quick, yes i would prefer the adjustable rear sight, the part that through me was the standard trp comes with a bushing i assume there is some type of bushing on the bull barrel as well

nope, no bushing on the bull barrel, the barrel is fit to the slide.

with a bushing barrel, the barrel is fit to the bushing and the bushing fit to the slide.

BTW, the TRP Op has the rear sight a little forward (protected), unlike the rear sight on your Spartan.

So if it's range work, Look at the Trophy Match, it's just a target version of the TRP.

oldtimer48
12-01-2010, 17:18
thanks again quack

Quack
12-01-2010, 17:21
also there are more holsters available for std TRP's than there is for the TRP Operator.

samuse
12-01-2010, 17:43
I don't know what they were thinking with the TRP Operator.

Why the bull barrel?

Why the buried adjustable rear?

The Range Officer OTOH, is a nice 1911 and it doesn't look retarted either.

rsxr22
12-01-2010, 17:45
I agree with Quack about holster selection. It's just more like you have to order one online. All the big boys make them, just a lot of stores dont stock them. And pretty much all of the custom guys out there can make them as well.

Also if your not fond of the rail, you can always just install an adjustable. Not sure why i forgot to mention that the first go around considering i only have 1 gun i think that i didnt change the sights on

Quack
12-01-2010, 17:48
I don't know what they were thinking with the TRP Operator.

Why the bull barrel?

Why the buried adjustable rear?

I don't know either. I'd take an MC Op or LWT Op over the TRP Op. I was actually looking for a MC or LWT when i found the Pro Op.

bac1023
12-01-2010, 20:12

Yeah, but the RO is no TRP.

Quack
12-01-2010, 20:17

it's built like one though. the 2 RO's i looked at were built just as tight as the TRP/TM, difference is the finish, no checkering, no FCS, no magwell and no FLGR

bac1023
12-01-2010, 20:21
it's built like one though. the 2 RO's i looked at were built just as tight as the TRP/TM, difference is the finish, no checkering, no FCS, no magwell and no FLGR

Very cool.

So the RO is obviously a lot nicer than the Loaded? :dunno:

samuse
12-01-2010, 20:22

Out of the box, yeah, it has less stuff on it, but IMO, the TRPs are not really done in good taste. They're kinda tacky, I'd rather have a tool steel hammer and sear than machine cut checkering and TACTICAL engraved on the dustcover.

The RO has a nice, classic look to it. The TRP? Not so much...

bac1023
12-01-2010, 20:41
Out of the box, yeah, it has less stuff on it, but IMO, the TRPs are not really done in good taste. They're kinda tacky, I'd rather have a tool steel hammer and sear than machine cut checkering and TACTICAL engraved on the dustcover.

The RO has a nice, classic look to it. The TRP? Not so much...

I'm not crazy about the TRP's looks either, but roll markings are a bit overdone on all Springfields as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't exactly call the RO a clean looking 1911 either.