CA Anti-Virus Run time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CA Anti-Virus Run time

OldUglyNAngry
12-02-2010, 05:22
I have been using the CA Anti-Virus software for months with no problem. It would automatically fire up at 3:00 am and would finish running within an hour or two. I use only the virus and spyware options (no email or firewall). Windows XP.

Last week I ran disk clean and defragged my computer. Now the virus scan is taking hours and hours to run. I usually stop it after 6 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is so and what I can do to fix it. Please do not suggest other virus scan software or suggest that I uninstall and reinstall (tried that and it didn't work).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old.....

Pierre!
12-02-2010, 06:03
Hello OldUglyNAngry,

Had one reply for you, then re-read your post... What did 'disk cleanup' actually do for you?

the other thought - You may be simply dealing with how CA runs. You should probably let it run to completion at least once now.

Have you check it's log files for errors, and the system log files for potential issues?

Let us know...

elad
12-02-2010, 06:10
Get CCleaner http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ it can wipe out those temp files for you.

OldUglyNAngry
12-02-2010, 11:44
Pierre,

Disk Clean just identified deleted (Recycle Bin) files and temp files that are just taking up space and can be deleted. I didn't have anything to delete.

The log files are clean, except for a few files that cannot be opened.

I'll try letting it run until completion and see if the next run is quicker.

It's just odd that scanning was fine until I ran the defrag software.

Thanks for your help!
Old....

Ogreon
12-02-2010, 19:53
I'm wondering if it is getting bogged down by a particular file. If you notice that two hours later it is still checking xyz.exe then you could try removing that file.

Another wild guess would be that you might have another program running in the background that is fighting with your anti-virus for access to the hard drive. Try shutting some of other processes down.

Check the settings of your anti-virus. Sometimes it allows you to tell it to "play nice & share" it will yield computer resources to let other programs run faster vs. "be a bully" it will hog everything and call the other programs sissies.

Just a few wild possibilities.