R1 or NRM Colt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : R1 or NRM Colt?

Ol' Dirty
12-02-2010, 18:31
I'm looking for an all american GI type 1911 for carry duty and probably a little customization. Most accounts of the R1 sound like it's a very decent gun but I don't hear much about the Colts. What do you guys think?

Quack
12-02-2010, 18:39
So far the R1 has been doing well. sure there are nitpicks about it, but it's still a decent gun for the $.

I'm not partial to Colt, because (IMO) you're paying for the name.

bac1023
12-02-2010, 18:53
I like the R1 quite a bit.

As far as Colt is concerned, I feel they make the best guns for bases to customize.

thecableguy
12-02-2010, 18:56
Oddly enough Colt's have never done anything for me.

bac1023
12-02-2010, 19:09
Oddly enough Colt's have never done anything for me.

I don't care for many of the newer Colts as is.

However, I love them as base guns for custom builds.

Quack
12-02-2010, 19:10
Yep, the only Colts that I like are the ones that were built.

Officer's Match
12-02-2010, 19:17
As far as Colt is concerned, I feel they make the best guns for bases to customize.

I see the Range Officer as the new king of that category.

Quack
12-02-2010, 19:23

Only if you want adjustable sights.

thecableguy
12-02-2010, 19:27
Only if you want adjustable sights.

Couldn't those be changed out?

Quack
12-02-2010, 19:28
Yep, with the Harrison sight, but it doesn't look as nice as one properly cut for the fixed sights.

Officer's Match
12-02-2010, 19:29
Couldn't those be changed out?

Limited options, but yes.

Officer's Match
12-02-2010, 19:31
Yep, with the Harrison sight, but it doesn't look as nice as one properly cut for the fixed sights.

Springer should also make a Street Officer. :supergrin:

PlasticGuy
12-02-2010, 20:33
I'm not a fan of factory Colt 1911's. I think a lot of what you pay for is the name. That said, the only full custom 1911 I own (Yost) was built on a Colt. I'm glad I made that choice.

I do like my Remington R1 though. If I was going to do just some light customization to make a better carry gun, I would have no problem using it for such a role. Quality of the major components is equal to many 1911's costing significantly more, and certainly equal to any base model Colt.

bac1023
12-02-2010, 21:03

Maybe so. :dunno:

I just like my customs to say "Colt" on them. :supergrin:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_3872.jpg

Hokie1911
12-02-2010, 21:09

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_3872.jpg

:faint:

Officer's Match
12-02-2010, 21:14

Can't (or won't) argue w' dat.

bac1023
12-02-2010, 21:15
Can't (or won't) argue w' dat.

:thumbsup:

Quack
12-02-2010, 21:16
My custom says Taurus on the slide.

Hokie1911
12-02-2010, 21:18

You do love the Taurus Custom Shop. :thumbsup:

bac1023
12-02-2010, 21:20

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

thecableguy
12-02-2010, 21:25

Oh yeah I forgot about your Taurus Custom Shop PT1911a1 Tactical Operator Response pistol.:rofl:

Magus
12-02-2010, 21:52
Probably paying for the name with Colt at this point. Older ones were certainly worth it. Newer ones can be a bit spotty. My S70 repro though is quite nice, I really like it.

However, for what my S70 is, I have cheaper/similar configured 1911's that were half the price that out performed it out of box if that gives you some guidance.

I've passed on R1's twice now and wish I hadn't. Both of them I've handled were very well put together.

Ol' Dirty
12-02-2010, 22:19
Sorry, but it doesn't look like Yost is in my future. Probably just sights and thumb safety for now. Then again......there is always Taurus.

Officer's Match
12-02-2010, 22:20
Don't R1's have cast frames?

Quack
12-02-2010, 22:35
Yep...

nolt
12-02-2010, 22:37
yeah they do

AZ Husker
12-02-2010, 22:49
Take the forged Colt. The Remington is too new to have the bugs worked out anyway.

woodrowNC
12-02-2010, 23:04
I'm not a fan of factory Colt 1911's. I think a lot of what you pay for is the name. That said, the only full custom 1911 I own (Yost) was built on a Colt. I'm glad I made that choice.

I do like my Remington R1 though. If I was going to do just some light customization to make a better carry gun, I would have no problem using it for such a role. Quality of the major components is equal to many 1911's costing significantly more, and certainly equal to any base model Colt.

and if and when you ever decide to sell it, a lot of the money you're gonna get will be because of the name.
not the yost, but any colt in general.

Hokie1911
12-02-2010, 23:07
and if and when you ever decide to sell it, a lot of the money you're gonna get will be because of the name.
not the yost, but any colt in general.

If you mean the Yost name, absolutely. :thumbsup:

woodrowNC
12-02-2010, 23:09
If you mean the Yost name, absolutely. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

both.

PlasticGuy
12-03-2010, 01:14
:rofl:

both.
True enough! :supergrin:

MD357
12-03-2010, 01:22
Definately the Colt. I never got the "you only pay for a name" comments. Colts have a forged frame and slide, and better small parts than a number of other makes.

PlasticGuy
12-03-2010, 03:20
Definately the Colt. I never got the "you only pay for a name" comments. Colts have a forged frame and slide, and better small parts than a number of other makes.
Yeah, but there are plenty of 1911's with forged frames and slides and most custom builds would involve tossing out the small parts anyway. I went Colt for my high dollar full custom because I wanted the name on the slide, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have had the same quality for less money from other manufacturers.

samuse
12-03-2010, 06:17

Pretty much my thoughts. If you're gonna leave the gun mostly stock, a Colt is the best bet. As with any 1911, shop around and find a good one, I'm convinced that every 1911 on the internet is a factory reject.

brisk21
12-03-2010, 09:00
I vote for the Colt. They are the original and have been building 1911s forever. I also don't like most of their new ones all that much but Id like to get a series 70 and get a little work done to it.

MD357
12-03-2010, 09:52
Yeah, but there are plenty of 1911's with forged frames and slides and most custom builds would involve tossing out the small parts anyway. I went Colt for my high dollar full custom because I wanted the name on the slide, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have had the same quality for less money from other manufacturers.

I wasn't really referring to a full house custom an neither was the OP as it's not relevant. When you have a full house done by someone it's no more a Colt or Springfield anymore than the cars of Nascar are Ford, Chevy, etc.

I think in terms of actually SHOOTING the gun and doing some mods later, the Colt is one of the better guns out there.

ArmoryDoc
12-03-2010, 10:50

Roger that. Colt is a sure bet.

DPris
12-03-2010, 14:11
I see many posts commenting on how pretty the R1 is, as if that had any relevance in making a decision on a serious pistol.

Not knocking the Remington at all, but the exterior is no indicator of specs, tolerances & materials under the pretty finish.

Of ONLY those two choices, I'd vote Colt. Even with the occasional Colt QC issue, their pistols are more of a known quantity at this point in certain areas.
As a base pistol for buildup, very definitely Colt.
As an inexpensive range toy left as it comes out of the box, I could see the Remington.

Resale value, if that's a consideration, will tend to favor the Colt.

Denis

thecableguy
12-03-2010, 14:24
Several members that have posted in this thread actually own an R1..Just saying

DPris
12-03-2010, 14:31
Yes, they do. But they haven't had them long & the guns have not been out long enough to develop any kind of rep as far as durability & extended use go.

The original question asked for opinions, and I've given mine. :)
I tend to be conservative & look beyond "new" & "pretty".
Just saying.
Denis

jrs93accord
12-03-2010, 15:14
All I have to say is that I really like my R1.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea2010/003-14.jpg

PlasticGuy
12-04-2010, 16:42
I wasn't really referring to a full house custom an neither was the OP as it's not relevant. When you have a full house done by someone it's no more a Colt or Springfield anymore than the cars of Nascar are Ford, Chevy, etc.

I think in terms of actually SHOOTING the gun and doing some mods later, the Colt is one of the better guns out there.
You're right about the first part, that the end result of a full custom 1911 has little in common with the base gun except the name. That's exactly why I'm okay with using a Colt for that purpose. :whistling:

For the second part, the only manufacturer of 1911's that I've had more problems with than Colt is Para-Ord. The fit and finish on new Colts can be downright embarrassing, and I've had some reliability issues with the last few Colts I've owned. I can't recommend them at the current quality level and price point unless you're shipping it off for custom work anyway. I would love to be a Colt guy, but they aren't holding up their end right now.

MD357
12-04-2010, 17:01
You're right about the first part, that the end result of a full custom 1911 has little in common with the base gun except the name. That's exactly why I'm okay with using a Colt for that purpose. :whistling:

For the second part, the only manufacturer of 1911's that I've had more problems with than Colt is Para-Ord. The fit and finish on new Colts can be downright embarrassing, and I've had some reliability issues with the last few Colts I've owned. I can't recommend them at the current quality level and price point unless you're shipping it off for custom work anyway. I would love to be a Colt guy, but they aren't holding up their end right now.

Honestly, I think that if someone knows what they are looking at relative to the past.... the "fit and finish" is better on a Colt than it ever has been. If you care to post up multiple concrete examples of the lacking "fit and finish" then I'd reconsider. :cool: Opinions aside, they still in fact come with less MIM than most and a forged frame and slide.

woodrowNC
12-04-2010, 17:06
Honestly, I think that if someone knows what they are looking at relative to the past.... the "fit and finish" is better on a Colt than it ever has been. If you care to post up multiple concrete examples of the lacking "fit and finish" then I'd reconsider. :cool: Opinions aside, they still in fact come with less MIM than most and a forged frame and slide.

the latest colt i've bought, and examined are heads and tails above 90's colts. for a production pistol, imo they're very good. fit and function.

woodrowNC
12-04-2010, 17:08

love that last sentence. :cool:

PlasticGuy
12-04-2010, 18:42
Honestly, I think that if someone knows what they are looking at relative to the past.... the "fit and finish" is better on a Colt than it ever has been. If you care to post up multiple concrete examples of the lacking "fit and finish" then I'd reconsider...
Take a look at the threads in this forum on the WWI re-issue Colts. Lots of pictures of crappy fit and finish. Not saying I wouldn't buy one for the unique nature of the pistol, but fit and finish are sub-par for a 1911 in that price range.

I've had the same experience with a few of their other models. I can't post pictures of them, because I was disappointed enough with the guns that I sold them. The only Colt I still own is my Yost Custom, and (as you pointed out in an earlier post) that really isn't a Colt anymore anyway.

MD357
12-04-2010, 19:41
Take a look at the threads in this forum on the WWI re-issue Colts. Lots of pictures of crappy fit and finish. Not saying I wouldn't buy one for the unique nature of the pistol, but fit and finish are sub-par for a 1911 in that price range.

I had one, traded into a Springfield Custom Shop from PT partners. The gun was downright gorgeous for a Colt. Call me crazy, but I think one example isn't the norm, I'm not seeing disaster pics all over the forums. However, cosmetics aside, can you provide somehow that their specs are causing reliability problems. I'm still wanting something more concrete.

PlasticGuy
12-04-2010, 20:42
...cosmetics aside, can you provide somehow that their specs are causing reliability problems. I'm still wanting something more concrete.
I can tell you I had 3 Colts in a row that weren't 100% reliable. Fit and finish was disappointing across the board. I'm not sure what you're looking for when you say "concrete", but that's my experience. Take it or leave it. :dunno:

ArmoryDoc
12-04-2010, 20:48
...can you provide somehow that their specs are causing reliability problems. I'm still wanting something more concrete.

I'm not him but that evidence isn't there. Colts run. They've "had" aesthetics issues in the past but I'm hearing good things about their more recent runs. My experiences have been great in aesthetics and function.

MD357
12-04-2010, 20:58
I can tell you I had 3 Colts in a row that weren't 100% reliable. Fit and finish was disappointing across the board. I'm not sure what you're looking for when you say "concrete", but that's my experience. Take it or leave it. :dunno:

3 out of 3 eh? Wow....you're pretty unlucky. I think I'll leave it. The vagueness and stories are just getting too big for me. :supergrin:

MD357
12-04-2010, 21:00
I'm not him but that evidence isn't there. Colts run. They've "had" aesthetics issues in the past but I'm hearing good things about their more recent runs. My experiences have been great in aesthetics and function.

I agree. It's been my experience that when you question someone that is bias against a certain 1911 make and they really don't know why, they throw out "fit and finish."

PlasticGuy
12-04-2010, 21:15
3 out of 3 eh? Wow....you're pretty unlucky. I think I'll leave it. The vagueness and stories are just getting too big for me.
You asked. I answered. No pictures are available because I sold the last one a couple years ago. I can't control what value you put the information I give you. It just is what it is.

But ask yourself this: Why would I lie? I'm a huge 1911 fan, and would love to love Colts.

samuse
12-05-2010, 08:28
3 out of 3 eh? Wow....you're pretty unlucky. I think I'll leave it. The vagueness and stories are just getting too big for me. :supergrin:

I've seen some really nice Colts in shops and seen plenty of dogs too. I absolutely will not buy any 1911 sight unseen anymore. It's just not a safe bet, no matter the manufacturer.

My NRM Series 80 is cosmetically near perfect and has been 100% reliable with ball and hollowpoints through about 1700 rounds now (I don't shoot it much), my O1918 is as nice as my NRM and has also been 100%, but I only have put 500 rounds of ball through it.

Colts are my favorite 1911s, I just really think you need to personally inspect the individual gun before you decide to buy it.

I've handled a few of the Remington R-1s and they are just a cast framed, bottom tier 1911, just like everything else in it's pricerange.