AVG users: Be warned [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AVG users: Be warned

Drjones
12-02-2010, 23:27
I'm bummed and a little ticked. I've been a big fan of AVG's free antivirus because, foremost, it's free, it's relatively unobtrusive, it updates itself daily and scans your system once a week.

A few days ago my computer (Win7 Ultimate X64) freaked out, it prompted me to do a system repair/restore, and really worried me as I've been running Windows for years, have NEVER had major issues, and I really know what I'm doing.

I was worried that my new SSD was failing, or some other component in my computer, or who knows what....

Then today I get a call from a client whose computer did the same thing, except it wouldn't come back up at all.

So I'm reading the tech headlines and come across several stories about how AVG's recent update totally hosed a number of Win7 x64 systems. :steamed:

It certainly doesn't seem limited to x64 though, as I just finished doing a clean install of Win7 Pro x86 on a laptop and it was freaking out too - randomly rebooting itself - until I uninstalled AVG just now.

So if you run AVG, be forewarned.

kirgi08
12-03-2010, 02:11
tagged.

Pierre!
12-03-2010, 07:10
Okay - That makes sense...

I also fixed a 'down' system that was a Vista Home 64 system.

Freezing on AVG files, no safe mode possible...

Didn't see the info that you found however.

Ohhh... Now you got me thinking. If that client updates AVG again... :wow: Well the evil side of me says... Nuther Service Call!!! But the Good Service Tech will be emailing the client saying 'get rid of AVG'... :cool:

Thanks Dr.Jones!

dglockster
12-03-2010, 08:06
For those of us who are not as tech savvy as y'all are, what do you recommend to replace AVG?

Thanks.

NYcarry
12-03-2010, 08:35
AVAST or Microsoft Security Essentials

Sgt. Schultz
12-03-2010, 08:53

A word of warning about Microsoft Security Essentials ... it has some flaws in it's update process. MSE uses Windows Auto update service and a definition update can be missed for any number of reasons, the computer maybe on standby or hibernation etc ... during the scheduled time and not updated until the following day. Also MSE does not consider the virus database old until 7 days have passed.

To avoid missed updates you should schedule a daily quick scan and select the option to "Check for latest virus & spyware definitions before running a schedule scan" select a time that you know the computer will be available.

... that said, I install it on all of my customers computers, unless they prefer another program and are willing to pay for it.

Green_Manelishi
12-03-2010, 18:10
What if still running Vista?

JimBianchi
12-03-2010, 18:23
Mine also had to be restored to a previously good configuration, but it has worked flawlessly since then. (Wednesday)

I read the AVG published a fix that seems to have fixed it for most people, me included.

Jay S.
12-03-2010, 18:42
The same thing happened to my daughters laptop last week. It is DOA. I will now have to re-install Windows 7 and hope for the best. Needless to say we now have Avast on our other laptops.

cgwahl
12-03-2010, 19:36

Avast is good, is what I use and put on others machines. Never been all that thrilled with AVG for various reasons, even though I've heard it's gotten better (until now obviously).

Never used MSE, but I like Avast because it can do boot time scans and you can actually use it in safe mode, unlike a lot of other anti-viruses.

Boss seems to like clamwin. Is also free.

dglockster
12-03-2010, 23:07
Thanks for the information.

If both AVAST and Microsoft Security Essentials are installed and operational will that cause problems or is it best to have one or the other?

(When it comes to the computer, I am like the owner of a vehicle who can drive but regarding maintenance can do little more than change flats, oil, and spark plugs - and maybe not even spark plugs on newer models.)

The help that is available in the GlockTalk forums is why I have such an appreciation for the site.

TBO
12-04-2010, 00:00
Have one, or the other, NOT both.

Only one anti-virus program on a machine.

Pierre!
12-04-2010, 00:06
Hello DGlockster

It is one, or the other.

Two AV programs running at the same time is a Very Bad Thing. They will think each other is a Virus (due to the type of activity) and potentially start 'quarantining' files - some of which will be operating system files. And that's just the start.

More often, nothing happens except a massive slowdown in operation. The AV systems take alot of overhead, so 2 running at the same time can really make a system Very Very sluggish.

Come to think of it, this may be a fun test when I have some time - Set up 2 AV apps and document it. Now all I need is some time, and a virtual machine!

For now, just keep it one at a time.

I also recommend Malwarebytes for those monthly checks. Never hurts. I let MS Security Essentials run day to day, and once a month (sometimes more) I boot into SAFE MODE and scan with Malwarebytes.

Hope that helps you out! And I am glad you asked before you tried two AV systems at once!

4TS&W
12-04-2010, 00:14
Still using McAfee security center because it's free with my isp..

dglockster
12-04-2010, 07:05
Your replies are appreciated.

From reading the prior posts, there does not seem to be any advantage to using AVAST over Microsoft Security Essentials so I guess I'll use the Microsoft program.

I'll also Google "Safe Mode" and learn how to get there.

jollygreen
12-04-2010, 10:27

From reading the prior posts, there does not seem to be any advantage to using AVAST over Microsoft Security Essentials so I guess I'll use the Microsoft program.

However, this guy says the problem has been remedied.

I read the AVG published a fix that seems to have fixed it for most people, me included.

Pierre!
12-04-2010, 10:52

Here is how you get SAFE MODE - Restart your system, and after the BIOS screen, start pressing the < F8 > key about every 1/2 second... If you go to a page with all white text on a black background you did it right! If you go to the full Windows system start up, you need to reboot and try again until you get the white on black text.

You will see SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING, and some other options.

If you have already update your AV/Malware product signature files, just use SAFE MODE. If you *think* you need to update your signature files, I choose SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING.

This prevents the virus(es) from loading into ram and hiding themselves from the Anti Virus Anti Malware scanners.

You should do this periodically... just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps you out...

Pierre!
12-04-2010, 11:19
HaH! Just took my own advice...

and nailed a copy of Trojan.Zlob on my system while in SAFE MODE scanning. It removed easily, and the system is clean now!

Lots of systems now scanning in Pierre!'s house... (LOL)

See! It Works When You Work It!

L8ter...

Sgt. Schultz
12-04-2010, 14:20
Here is how you get SAFE MODE - Restart your system, and after the BIOS screen, start pressing the < F8 > key about every 1/2 second... If you go to a page with all white text on a black background you did it right!

Pierre! just a heads up ... newer systems have a GUI BIOS with mouse support and come in a variety of colors.

KY23
12-04-2010, 14:34
As much as I don't like Microsoft products Microsoft Security Essentials is a good product. Probably the best AV for Windows.

doktarZues
12-04-2010, 19:28
A "bat .DAT" that whacks legitimate system files is a big deal, agreed. However, based on history and the track record of other AV programs, AVG is still as good as any of them as this is not unique to AVG; bad .DAT files affect all AV vendors. I'd go so far as to say that mathematically, you're safer staying with AVG as their QA will likely be higher than most of their peers due to the incident.

This happens once every 2 years or so to Mcafee and Symantec that corporations with large IT infrastructures typically use. If you're worried about your Win 7 x64 box, sit in the shoes of a data center manager that has hundreds/thousands of windows servers eat crap over night.

Pierre!
12-04-2010, 20:25
A "bat .DAT" that whacks legitimate system files is a big deal, agreed. However, based on history and the track record of other AV programs, AVG is still as good as any of them as this is not unique to AVG; bad .DAT files affect all AV vendors. I'd go so far as to say that mathematically, you're safer staying with AVG as their QA will likely be higher than most of their peers due to the incident.

This happens once every 2 years or so to Mcafee and Symantec that corporations with large IT infrastructures typically use. If you're worried about your Win 7 x64 box, sit in the shoes of a data center manager that has hundreds/thousands of windows servers eat crap over night.

This is soooo true! I have even seen 'deep packet inspection' firewalls signature files get *horked up* and shut down internet access until those 'deep packet inspections' were turned off!

It's not about you screwing up, it's about what you do when you DO screw up... cause we all know you will, we are just wondering how hard and what it will cost us!

Symantec, McAfee, and CA Associates - Hope I never have to work with these folks again...

McAfee - Finally convinced a friend of mine to drop them after the *THIRD* time they let a virus in, and never caught it... They haven't posted to well on their recovery of the infected system according to these folks -

AVTEst.org/Certifications (http://www.av-test.org/certifications)

And lo and behold... McAfee still isn't certified with them, and MS Security essentials has fallen from grace as well as Norman Security Suite. WoW...

Just proves that no one is on the top of the world Long Enough... :cool:

Just another day in the Silicon Mines...
L8ter...

GACajunGlocker
12-04-2010, 21:29
My Win7 32 bit laptop also froze while an AVG update was running. I just turned it off and then back on again and that cured it for me.

Pierre!
12-05-2010, 07:11
Pierre! just a heads up ... newer systems have a GUI BIOS with mouse support and come in a variety of colors.

Bad Manners - Thanks Sgt. Schultz! Haven't come across those yet... But thanks for the tip!

Adjuster
12-06-2010, 04:27
From what I researched many people were having slow downs and complete crashes from the AVG update. The solution I read was to not update but instead to completely delete your AVG program including the leftover system file that retains settings and files that have been quarantined and then do a brand new install of the latest version of AVG. This seems to have fixed everyones issues.