How do you clean your dies? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your dies?

oneofthose
12-04-2010, 16:40
How do you clean your dies?

Do you clean carbide dies differently? More/less frequently?

Do you clean rifle/bottle neck dies differently? More/less frequently?

TH3180
12-04-2010, 16:47
I only have 9mm dies right now. I use Break Free CLP, Q-tips and maybe a patch or two. I clean them the same way I clean my guns.

WiskyT
12-04-2010, 17:12
I don't have any steel sizers. All my pistol sizers are carbide. I've never cleaned them. Some are 25 years old and have nevr been cleaned. I never will clean them either. I rarely tumble my brass. The only die i clean is my seater because it gets gunked up with liquid alox bullet lube and needs to be cleaned every couple of hundred rounds or so. I just take out the seating stem and use a rag and some bore cleaner. Bore cleaner seems to cut right through the liquid alox faster than the break cleaner I was using.

I only have one set of rifle dies and they have a collet sizer that I don't see a need to clean. If I used steel traditional sizers, I would clean them with bore cleaner and a q-tip.

unclebob
12-04-2010, 17:49
Not as often as I should. Lead bullets about every 500 rds. I use paper shop towels and lighter fluid.

themighty9mm
12-04-2010, 17:58
About every 1-2k I give my press a quick once over cleaning sometime during that I will give the dies a quick once over aswell

Three-Five-Seven
12-04-2010, 18:26
I usually clean 'em when bullets start to stick in the seating die. Have seen guys load two bullets more than once because of gummed up seater.

EL_NinO619
12-04-2010, 19:46
Air compresor and a little windex or alcohol. Every few hundred rounds.

shotgunred
12-04-2010, 19:50
I clean them the same way I clean my glocks.
Rarely to never.

robin303
12-04-2010, 21:00
Alcohol & Q-tips for me.

frankmako
12-04-2010, 21:07
#9 and q-tips when they get dirty.

Glock21sf-miami
12-04-2010, 21:09
One shot gun cleaner and dry lube... I just spray them well and let them dry.

Colorado4Wheel
12-04-2010, 21:14
3-4 times a year. Don't think I have ever cleaned the sizer. Never really cared. The seater and the Crimp need cleaned far more often.

DWARREN123
12-04-2010, 21:34
When they start to feel dirty I spray them out with the cleaning spray I use for my guns.

noylj
12-04-2010, 23:56
When I get a new die, I disassemble it and clean it with a good degreaser.
Only load lead, so I wipe out the seating die. "Best" dies for cleaning are Dillon and Hornady (you can remove the seating stem without taking the die out of the press/bushing/toolhead).
In general, you clean a die just like a gun. Hoppe's #9 and patches will do the job (along with Q-tips).
If you get some nickel stuck in your carbide die, you will need some Hoppe's #9 and a brass brush.

dudel
12-05-2010, 02:36
Proper sized bore brush with a patch soaked in brake cleaner. Remove the decapping rod first. The dirt won't harm the carbide; but it will scratch the case. Clean dies work much smoother. Clean dies, and you won't feel the need to lube the brass.

AA#5
12-05-2010, 02:46
I just twist a paper towel with some Hoppe's on it & "screw" it into the die & out the other end. Amazing how much crud comes out of the seater & resizer/decapper dies.

kshutt
12-05-2010, 07:39
3-4 times a year. Don't think I have ever cleaned the sizer. Never really cared. The seater and the Crimp need cleaned far more often.

Very true. I've cleaned my Dillon seater and crimp dies in the past with MPro-7. I'm going to try Ballistol in the future to see if they require cleaning less often.

MrOldLude
12-06-2010, 07:43
I'm supposed to clean them??!!??

AltiDude
12-06-2010, 07:51
I clean mine every time my daughter cleans her room.
pretty much never.

kshutt
12-06-2010, 20:05
I clean mine every time my daughter cleans her room.
pretty much never.

I'm supposed to clean them??!!??

You obviously never shoot cast bullets. The lube builds up in the crimp die, and unless you want to live with the inconsistency thereof, the only reasonable thing to do is clean them. :shame:

GioaJack
12-06-2010, 21:10
How much lube do you guys put on your bullets... it's supposed to go in the grease grooves, not poured over the top like chocolate syrup. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
12-07-2010, 19:52
I don't find it builds up very quickly at all. The seating die only touch's the bullet on on small spot well down from the tip. So any lube that does get on that spot gets pushed into the cavity above that spot on the seating stem or below that spot. Eventually, it will build up in the cavity enough to cause a problem. I have yet to have that happend and I don't clean the die that often.

Boxerglocker
12-07-2010, 21:06
I'm pretty anal about cleaning and lubing my dies. On my SDB every 500 rounds of the Molys in .45. I take the toolhead off, wipe everything clean with denatured alcohol soaked rag, use toothbrushes, bore brushes on what ever else necessary. I then ever so lightly coat the dies with a clean rag slightly moistened with either Tri-Flo or CLP before putting it back together.
The XL650 has only had the dies cleaned twice, when I first set it up and at 2K being all I run is FMJ in should be about right. I use the same procedure. I pull the toolhead off the press though, hose it down lightly with the alcohol, brushes, wipes, compressed air dry and light lube… done.

Alchemy
12-07-2010, 21:59
When they start to feel dirty I spray them out with the cleaning spray I use for my guns.

If you are going to post, why don't you say what you use? Is it some
kind of secret? Is this some kind of pathetic secret that you use?

Boxerglocker
12-07-2010, 22:04
If you are going to post, why don't you say what you use? Is it some
kind of secret? Is this some kind of pathetic secret that you use?

Probably gunscrubber (brake cleaner)

OkieGunNut
12-08-2010, 07:33
I have found an easy way to get the lube out of a .35 caliber pistol seater die is to use a popsicle stick and after most of it is removed with the stick a papertowel with a little solvent finishes the job. The larger ones I start with papertowel on the stick.

PCJim
12-08-2010, 14:51
The 9mm seating die has been cleaned one time after a lengthy reloading session with some overly lubed lead bullets. The others have never been cleaned.

m2hmghb
12-08-2010, 18:26
Brake cleaner or a soak in a tub of DA. Either works well, then I let them evaporate and put a light amount of hoppes gun oil on the outside.

D. Manley
12-08-2010, 21:05
I find that my dies rarely need attention but then, I do only use jacketed or plated bullets. I have had a little build-up of the fine dust residue from the tumbler from time to time in my sizing die...easily recognized by the very fine linear scratches on the case walls. A quick wipe with almost gun cleaner is all I've found necessary.

G10mm
12-08-2010, 22:11
clean the dies with carb cleaner and Q-tips

dbarry
12-12-2010, 06:21
Cleaned mine for the first time today. Should have done it long time ago! I bought this spray lube and it recommended taking apart the die, degreasing and cleaning it, then spraying the die with the case lube also. I couldn't believe how much easier the resizing step was. For kicks, I did the 9mm die also. It's carbide, and I know you don't need to lube, but here lately, resizing the 9mm's felt like I was resizing a 45 into 9mm. Again, once I did this, resizing the 9mm was almost effortless.

I'll be cleaning the resizer die a lot more frequently... (I'll have to report back on how frequently).

dudel
12-12-2010, 06:27
Cleaned mine for the first time today. Should have done it long time ago! I bought this spray lube and it recommended taking apart the die, degreasing and cleaning it, then spraying the die with the case lube also. I couldn't believe how much easier the resizing step was. For kicks, I did the 9mm die also. It's carbide, and I know you don't need to lube, but here lately, resizing the 9mm's felt like I was resizing a 45 into 9mm. Again, once I did this, resizing the 9mm was almost effortless.

I'll be cleaning the resizer die a lot more frequently... (I'll have to report back on how frequently).

Yup! Clean your dies and you don't need to mess with lubing cases.

Steve would have figured this out; but you can't use a micrometer on clean! :supergrin:

Warhorse
12-12-2010, 11:08
I usually load 1000 cartridges of one caliber at a time, then I clean those dies with bore solvent (Hoppes #9), bore brushes, followed up with shotgun patches till it comes clean, last but not least I then wipe them down with a lightly oiled rag.