View Full Version : comparing

SS1
12-04-2010, 17:46
Purchasing a pistol for the Mrs. Small and compact
Looking into the 9 and the 40. What is the comparable difference's

Thank You for any help in this question

DWARREN123
12-04-2010, 22:01
In small platforms the 40 S&W can be a little much for some folks. A good size pistol in 9mm or 40 S&W is the SIG 239, just my opinion, also the Glock 26.

bac1023
12-09-2010, 11:21
9mm is a good deal easier to manage.

FLSlim
12-09-2010, 12:53
If Mrs. Small is small, she may adjust more quickly to the 9. FWIW, if it were my decision and this would be her first pistol, I would start her on a .22 until she was comfortable with a handgun and competent using it.

rfd339
12-12-2010, 11:03
Best thing to do is to take her the gunshop and range and let her try some pistols out to see which one fits her hands and shoots the best . Will this be for carry or home use? One that would fit both needs but isn't a 9 or 40 would be a S&W 642/442 jframe revolver.

g29guy
09-20-2011, 06:27
Best thing to do is to take her the gunshop and range and let her try some pistols out to see which one fits her hands and shoots the best . Will this be for carry or home use? One that would fit both needs but isn't a 9 or 40 would be a S&W 642/442 jframe revolver.

My wife loves her Smith and Wesson 442. By the way the light revolvers do have some snap with plus p loads and more than one would expect with standard ammo. The technology allows a strong 13-15 oz gun shooting hot ammo=snappy recoil.

She now wants an auto and I'm looking at the px4 storm or compact xd in .40. I shoot a Glock 29 in 10mm and .40 with conversion barrel so reloading would be easy and brass can be shared.

For cost the 9mm is the way to go if you don't reload.

Really you need to take her to a couple shops and let her feel them and then take a couple of rentals to the range and let her decide.

A used gun may be the way if she isn't going to shoot much because it will be broken in and you don't loose as much cost if you want to trade it if she isn't happy with it.

Good luck :supergrin:

wacopolumbo
09-29-2011, 17:30
Mrs Waco likes her Berettas and my G39.

abq87120
10-08-2011, 20:46
My wife and I hired a shooting instructor to bring a bunch of pistols to his range. It was the best gun money I ever spent. He started her off with a 22 semi-auto just to teach her basic gun safety and how to load, unload and aim. This went well. Then he worked her up through 9mm, 40 and 45. She could not handle anything larger than the 9mm which she likes just fine. She picked her own caliber and gun, a Glock 26. She is a better shot with it than I am with my G23. Later, she also got a Ruger LCP 380. It's not going to do as much damage as the 9mm but she will actually carry it... in her Galco purse. It weighs not quite 12 oz compared to 27 oz for the 9mm with 12 rounds (has finger extension). That LCP is absolutely no fun to shoot. But she is willing to carry it because a face full of 380 for a bad guy is better than her screaming while her 9mm sits in the glove compartment.

DO NOT TRY TO TEACH YOUR SPOUSE ABOUT SHOOTING! It's like teaching them how to drive. Not fun for either of you.

Dan in ABQ