Shameless plug for Acronis backup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shameless plug for Acronis backup

srhoades
12-04-2010, 18:46
I've been using it to clone drives for the last 3 years and within the last 2 started using it to make weekly full backups and nightly differentials to another hard drive in my system. With the black Friday's deals too good to pass up, I decided to get 2 1TB hard drives to replace my aging 250GB drives that I have setup as a raid mirror.

Swapping the drives went without a hitch, but I could not find any free software to extend my RAID partition beyond the original 250GB. Since I still had the old drives in the same working order I said what the heck. I made a current differential backup, rebooted, blasted the old RAID mirror, created a new one to accommodate the 1TB drives, and booted from the Acronis CD and did a restore.

Whole process took about 45 minutes and my system is exactly how it was. Couldn't be happier.

Pierre!
12-04-2010, 19:30
So the Acronis had no issues with the RAID 1???

Glad to hear that!

I wouldn't mind adding a 'Bare Metal' restore to my arsenal!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

srhoades
12-04-2010, 19:47
I believe you have to get the plus pack to support RAID but it was flawless, recognized only the mirror, not the individual disks in the mirror. I still don't care for the new GUI in 2011 but it's a minor issue.

filthy infidel
12-05-2010, 18:27
Acronis 2009 would NOT clone a mirrored drive on a client's server. We had to purchase Acronis Server 2011 ($800) to do same. This was on a Windows Server 2003 machine.

Pierre!
12-05-2010, 19:21
Acronis 2009 would NOT clone a mirrored drive on a client's server. We had to purchase Acronis Server 2011 ($800) to do same. This was on a Windows Server 2003 machine.

That is kinda what I was thinking, but I wonder if the non-server OS will clone, but they *STICK* you for the Server OS...

I will be checking the TOS for sure on this prior to the purchase!

Glock!9
12-05-2010, 20:27
I use it integrated with Kaseya and have been able to run bare metal restores on servers succesfully

srhoades
12-05-2010, 21:43
The one thing I really like about the newer version (maybe you could do it in the older one but I never looked it up) is that you can backup and restore from a NAS. The acronis bootable CD is just a linux live distro so it has full network support.

Goodspeed(TPF)
12-05-2010, 21:46
I use it as well. Very nice proggy. :wavey: