wireless routers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : wireless routers

glock21xxx
12-05-2010, 09:17
What is the best one for the money. I don't need anything crazy, in fact I would even buy used off of ebay. I am running my mac, my xbox360 and my laptop off of it in a 2 story condo. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

W4CNG
12-05-2010, 09:27
I run the Netgrar N600 dual band Gigabit Router. It is backward compitable with everything. I use a 10 digit encryption scheme on it. It is the only thing that goes everywhere in my house on 3 floors and I have had two previous routers and a 2Wire DSL router that had wireless. I have 2 iPhones, 2 iPADS, 1 Macbook Pro and one iMac on it. It is around $180 at Best Buy. It does cost a bit, but then it does get the job done.

IndyGunFreak
12-05-2010, 10:23
I wouldn't go used on Ebay... Look on Tigerdirect or Newegg, for some refurbs if you don't want to pay full price. At least there, you have a reputable dealer behind them, and you know they are actual refurbs.

As for brand... Really all of them are halfway good if you know how to set them up manually(w/o the magic install CD)... if you need to use the CD, DO NOT GET A LINKSYS!

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289532

Beyond that stupid CD, Linksys is actually a good deal.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3984786&CatId=373

Pierre!
12-05-2010, 13:41
We could help better if you gave us your budget...

I am running a D-Link DIR-655 - and loving it... it was around $70 new from NewEgg.com, and the ratings were very high on it.

HTH...

mixflip
12-05-2010, 15:32
I just picked one up a basic home router the other day, brand new at Sams Club for $39. Its made by Linksys and it has been working flawlessly. My wife loves being able to use the laptop while I am on the desktop. I havent tried the PS3 yet?

$39 may be the bottom end of the router world but the dang thing works and we are happy.

Oh fyi, we live in a single story apt. so maybe thats why it works so well.

NorCal Einstein
12-05-2010, 16:04
Refurb Netgear WRN2000 for $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122275

I own one of these and it's been smooth sailing since day one.

This deal will expire today though...

Old School
12-05-2010, 16:13
I have the cisco/linksys e3000 and love it. Simultaneous 2.4 and 5 channels. I push N on 5 and G on 2.4. 2.4 channel has awesome range. You can run different security (e.g., wep and wpa2) on the two channels. Gigabit ethernet. We're streaming xbox or netflix every day and have at least two wireless and 2 ethernet connections all day. Never had a problem. Zero regrets.

I don't use the file server functionality and I have read that is limited.

Only thing I don't like is that you can't disable the "guest" account with the web interface.

BobbyT
12-05-2010, 16:37
If you hop on www.slickdeals.net every day for a week, you're bound to see at least a couple router deals. They only make the front page if they're really good deals, so we're talking about full-featured models for 25 or 30 bucks shipped.

The best part is you don't have to sift through all the different specs, just read the first page of comments and there are always guys who know their stuff pointing out the highlights, what they're missing, how killer of a deal, etc.