Long Range Shotgun Hunting... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Shotgun Hunting...

Michigun
12-05-2010, 17:02
So this summer I bit the bullet & spend some cash on 12-ga sabot slugs to do some long range practicing with my Beretta 390 w/Hastings aftermarket fully-rifled barrel... my set-up REALLY likes Federal’s 3" Barns Expanders sabots so I decided to see what they’d do beyond 150-yards... my set-up shoots a 1.5" 5-shot group @ 100-yards...

What I found was that after 150-yards this round really starts to drop off... from 0~150-yards it is pretty flat shooting... going from 150~200-yards there is a 1'6" drop & from 200~250 yards there is a 3'6"drop... grouping @ the 250-yard mark was a 5" average which is more than ‘Minute Of Whitetail’!

Long story short... I took this info out hunting this Michigan gun season, along with my Leupold laser range finder, & scored me a nice 7-point @ 148-yards, a doe @ 224-yards & another doe @ 232-yards... who says you can’t ‘reach out & touch’ stuff with a modern 12-gauge shooting sabots?

Side Note: I used a Harris bi-pod to make all 3 kills.

Now, if I can only get my set-up to like one of the newer, flatter shooting sabots out there I don’t believe 300+ yards is out of the question at all!

FYI, up until this year my record was 180-yards with my set-up...

DJ Niner
12-05-2010, 21:54
That's some fine slug-gunning, for sure. I've seen a bunch of lever-action rifles that wouldn't group that well at 250 yards -- and a few bolt-guns, too (some of those might have been shooter-related). :supergrin:

How are those slugs doing for velocity/energy at those extended ranges? Did the critters you popped at 200+ yards lay right down?

kirgi08
12-05-2010, 23:06
tagged.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-06-2010, 09:00
Looks like you've had a good year.

Those are long shots by my standard.

Good shooting!

Michigun
12-06-2010, 09:32
How are those slugs doing for velocity/energy at those extended ranges?

Not sure, but after digging 6~8 inches into my dirt backstop I still couldn't find the bullet on the 250-yard shots... that told me there was MORE than enough power to get the job done.

Did the critters you popped at 200+ yards lay right down?

Well... I don't go for shoulder-shots on deer as there's meat to be had in them... instead I go behind the front shoulder which RARELY anchors a deer... HOWEVER, the furthest any of the 3 deer went was 40-yards... each round was a complete passthrough.

Esox357
12-06-2010, 10:05
I have yet to make a over 100 yard shot with my 30.06. Thats pretty good with the old 12 guage. Ammo makers with technology have done some impressive improvements! Well sounds like a good season and you have some meat in the freezer.

Michigun
12-06-2010, 13:29
Ammo makers with technology have done some impressive improvements!

It would be great if I could get my set-up to like the Hornady 12-ga 300-gr SST... those are the flattest shooters to date.

Well sounds like a good season and you have some meat in the freezer.

Bow season put a 'management' spike & 2 doe in my freezer... these last 3 deer, during gun, went to other needy freezers.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-06-2010, 15:06
It would be great if I could get my set-up to like the Hornady 12-ga 300-gr SST... those are the flattest shooters to date.

Bow season put a 'management' spike & 2 doe in my freezer... these last 3 deer, during gun, went to other needy freezers.

... checking my needy freezer now :)

noway
12-06-2010, 15:32
If you can find the original Brenneke 12ga magnum ( 2 3/4 ), you will be very impress. One of the most accurate sabot/bullet on the market when it came in. I regular shoot 3" groups at 100yards.

200 yards is quite impressive. The old 45-70gov is also from the same era as the big 12ga slugs days and it's impressive.

the biggest thing hunting 12ga performance is the bullet BC and predicting the drop.

DJ Niner
12-07-2010, 02:41

Well... I don't go for shoulder-shots on deer as there's meat to be had in them... instead I go behind the front shoulder which RARELY anchors a deer... HOWEVER, the furthest any of the 3 deer went was 40-yards... each round was a complete passthrough.Heck, I've whacked several right through the heart/lung zone with a .308/150 grain and had them go farther than that. Sounds like great performance! :thumbsup: