Linux as VM on Windows7 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux as VM on Windows7

RWBlue
12-05-2010, 18:43
Anyone have Linux running as a VM on Windows7?

I am trying to get it going, but it isn't working.

Pierre!
12-05-2010, 18:58
Yup, using Sun/Oracle VirtualBox with openSUSE11.3, Ubuntu, Debian, and Mandriva2010.

For me the openSUSE11.3 worked the best, Ubuntu/Kubuntu second...

It's all about the screen size and network connectivity for me...

What are you using RWBlue? More details please...

RWBlue
12-05-2010, 19:23
I am trying to do it with the Microsoft Virtual systems. The same stuff I run in XP mode.

I have tried Fedora and Umbutu. Neither of them really get going into the install. The screens just close up.

Pierre!
12-05-2010, 20:03
Yah, that's not gonna work...

Virtual PC 2007, or my preference Sun/Oracle Virtual Box. It's free, and handled Linux, MS OS just fine...

Give that a try, and I bet you get lots more success!

Keep us posted!

IndyGunFreak
12-05-2010, 20:03
I am trying to do it with the Microsoft Virtual systems. The same stuff I run in XP mode.

I have tried Fedora and Umbutu. Neither of them really get going into the install. The screens just close up.

Never done it w/ Microsoft Virtual systems, but I can tell you how to do it quite easily w/ Virtualbox...

IGF

kc8ykd
12-05-2010, 20:25
interesting..

i'm about 1/2 way done installing Edubuntu currently using microsoft's virtual pc (non hardware accelerated) in windows 7.

we'll see how it goes, i guess

i think the base ubuntu version it's using is 10.0 something, i wasn't paying attention while it was booting off the iso image
(10.10 is the actual version)

edit:
i got about 1/2 way through and the installer froze, so i started it again with a fixed sized disk as the previous virtual disk was dynamic expanding.

it's retrieving updated files currently, which is a lot further than it got before..

maybe the op should check the disk to see if it's fixed or dynamic and give it another try

it seems to have installed ok with the fixed disk.

IndyGunFreak
12-06-2010, 11:06
interesting..

i'm about 1/2 way done installing Edubuntu currently using microsoft's virtual pc (non hardware accelerated) in windows 7.

we'll see how it goes, i guess

i think the base ubuntu version it's using is 10.0 something, i wasn't paying attention while it was booting off the iso image
(10.10 is the actual version)

edit:
i got about 1/2 way through and the installer froze, so i started it again with a fixed sized disk as the previous virtual disk was dynamic expanding.

it's retrieving updated files currently, which is a lot further than it got before..

maybe the op should check the disk to see if it's fixed or dynamic and give it another try

it seems to have installed ok with the fixed disk.

I've always used a dynamic disk w/ Linux and Windows in Vbox.. never a prob.

Patrick Graham
12-06-2010, 16:06
I try every new Ubuntu and Mint release on a Virtual box in Win 7 before I put them on a system.

kc8ykd
12-06-2010, 16:22
i just tried it again with the dynamic disk and it didn't freeze this time.. quite strange.

the first time around i just set it to install and didn't touch it again, the second time i moved the mouse every now and again.

i just finished downloading ubuntu10.10, so we'll see how that one goes, maybe the people behind edbuntu screwed up something in the installer ?

one thing i did notice is that edbuntu complained about not having a driver to enable the unity interface. i don't know if that's because there isn't a compatible driver for the vm's 'video card' or it wasn't included in that particular distro.

if it's a driver compatibility issue, i'd imagine the same problem wouldn't arise with virtual box..

i guess i'll find out when this install of regular ubuntu is complete in a bit..

MavsX
12-07-2010, 18:35
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/junkmailfabo/upload.jpg

IndyGunFreak
12-07-2010, 18:42
Geez...lol, i hope you live in a big house.

kc8ykd
12-07-2010, 19:26
i have to agree, for linux virtual box is the way to go.

i tested installing and running ubuntu and edbuntu a few more times since my last post in this thread and the results were mixed, at best.

sometimes they would install, sometimes it would freeze, sometimes they'd boot and sometimes they wouldn't.