Help with Business Projectors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Business Projectors

glocknia
12-05-2010, 20:41
I'm currently looking for a projector and have found myself a little overwhelmed with the choices available.

There are many options for resolution on the ones I've been looking at. They start at 800x600 and go all the way up to full HD 1920x1080. Obviously, price climbs as resolution increases. I'm thinking 1024x768 or 1280x800 would cover my needs (mostly Powerpoint presentations). Looking through the specs on some of the units, they list a native resolution of 1280x800, but then go on to list that the maximum resolution is 1600x1200. Can anyone explain how this works? I'm used to seeing the native resolution listed for an LCD monitor and you cannot go any higher than this. How do the projectors handle this?

Are there any brands to avoid with projectors? I've been looking at Epson and Viewsonic. Newegg seems to have quite a large selection. Are there any other stores/websites I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!

epoxy252
12-05-2010, 23:01
I use an older Dell 3200mp dlp for a home theater projector, and it's pretty awesome even with just a basic white screen, and it can handle 1080p just fine. The lcd/dlp engine's have a native resolution typically 800x600,1024x768,1280x800,1280x1024 etc... My Dell is native at 1024x768 and upscales to 1920x1600 which is how most projectors work, how they handle the upscale and how it looks depends entirely on the quality of the projector engine.

The only major brands I know of to stay away from is HP, and to a lesser extent Epson,(which may have changed in the two years since I last researched them) from the research I did when I was shoping for my projector they had a higher failure rate for some reason. Be aware that there can be downfalls to both LCD and DLP projectors, some people can see a "Screen Door" effect with LCD's, and some people can see persistent "Rainbowing" with a DLP (which I can only see if I unfocus my eyes).

This site was pretty helpful for research also http://www.projectorreviews.com/

glocknia
12-06-2010, 07:50
Thanks for the info epoxy252. The website you listed has quite a bit of info on it.

Drjones
12-06-2010, 19:34
I just bought a projector for a friend, and honestly, I just went to best buy & bought whatever was cheapest. He needed it immediately, so I was forced to source it locally.

I believe it was an Epson for $549. Best part is, they offered me one of their warranties for either 3 or 4 years for only $60.

Normally I steer clear of those things as I believe they are simply money-making scams that only favor the store, but at that price, for that length of time, I was not gonna pass it up, especially when it covers a new lamp!

A new lamp alone is at least $150 for any projector.

I just replaced the lamp in a higher-end projector; it was an NEC that was $1300 new; and the lamp alone was $230.

So when it comes to devices like that, the warranty is, IMO, a good buy, if you can get it for that kind of price.

Anyhow, my friend is very, very happy with the Epson projector.

Just another thought is that often with devices like that, if anything major goes wrong and it isn't covered under any warranty, it's almost always cheaper to replace the whole unit instead of repair - just like with printers.

So I wouldn't spend too much money, especially if it's just for powerpoints.

Hope that helps some.

glocknia
12-07-2010, 22:17
Thanks for the advice Drjones. I ordered a LCD Viewsonic unit that does 1024x768 for $399. The Viewsonic has a 3 year standard warranty and a 1 year warranty on the bulb. The warranty was much better than the other brands I was looking at. I've had good luck with Viewsonic monitors in the past and am hoping for the same with their projectors.