I missed a deer. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I missed a deer.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-06-2010, 09:57
20 degrees and windy, some snow. Get in my treestand by 6:30. All bundled up and determined to sit for long time. Using a scoped contender handgun in 7-30 waters.

9am, over left shoulder, heard and maybe saw something far away. Deliberately turn my head as far as a can, hard to do when all bundled up. See a white flag running off, maybe I spooked the deer. But then I see another deer walking along. It's about 50 yards, and through trees. I struggle for a bit to find the deer in my scope and between trees, looking for a open shot.

Finally, yup there's the deer clearly in my scope, all is good. BOOM! Deer ran off white-flagging. WTF?

Sit in my stand waiting about 30 minutes. Um, that small twig of branch on the next tree, in front of me, in line with where I just shot, looks freshly broken.

Get down, walk the 50 yards over to the deer tracks. Yup, this is about where I shot, and there's the prints from the deer suddenly jumping. Hey, this sapling looks freshly cut, and has a lead mark on it about 1 foot off the ground, exactly between where the deer's legs would have been when I shot.

Followed tracks for another 20 yards, and evidentally the deer wasn't too bothered by the shot because there was a fresh bed! No blood drops, no hair, just more tracks leading off to the distance from when I got down out of my tree stand and coughed :)

Dennis in MA
12-06-2010, 12:50
d'OH!

Should we change your screenname to Ithaca_Deermisser? ;)

Dalton Wayne
12-06-2010, 13:09
d'OH!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ithaca_deerslayer
12-06-2010, 13:18
Sometimes I try to amuse the deer.

It can be like those old sheepdog and coyote cartoons. You know, where they are punching the clock to check in and out of work. "Hello Fred. Hello Ralph" and then beating each other up.

I've been out during the day where I've seen absolutely nothing. Hours and hours and nothing. Then I walk back to the house as it is getting dark out. Sit down inside and eat dinner, maybe watch a little tv. Then the dog alarm goes off and I look out the back door and 2 deer will be standing there eating grass, not even moving off.

I spent all bow season not even seeing a buck. I've got a pic of 2 of them on my deer camera at the end of my pasture. One of them is licking the camera. I kid you not, a couple pics of the deer goofing it up making silly faces. And it's not like I bait or have a salt lick or anything (all illegal), because I don't! The deer must just be smelling my scent on the camera I guess.

One night the dog alarm went off, and we checked the back yard for something, didn't see it, then noticed the dog was going to the front window, and we looked and didn't see. Next morning, notice the buck made a nice rub on our apple tree. Came home the next night after going somewhere in the car, pulled in the driveway, and the deer was standing right there going after the apple tree!

So, I gotta tell you, it's comedy gold to sit out there in the woods for hours in the freezing snowy wind, to miss a good shot one of my resident friendly deer :rofl:

noway
12-06-2010, 16:35
We all mis deer from time after time. Those that claim not, aren't hunting:supergrin:

sourdough44
12-06-2010, 16:50
Yes, I missed one too this Fall with the M-L. I was trying to not be a baby & reach out from my less than 50 yrd shots. It was a clean miss which I am thankful for.

Dennis in MA
12-07-2010, 10:48
LOL. I read M-L as Mother-in-Law. I was thinking, "Yeah. She's squirrelly. Hard to get a bead on her." Nevermind.

CanyonMan
12-08-2010, 09:54
Hey amigo, everyone does miss at some point in their life if they hunt much. I've come home with an empty sack before, and told my kids, "That is why this is called hunting, and not killing." :supergrin:

You'll get the next one I am willin to bet ! :thumbsup:

Good hunting !

CM

anxietycoachjohn
12-08-2010, 10:21
d'OH!

:number1:
:goodpost:

fmfdocglock
12-11-2010, 22:06
We all mis deer from time after time. Those that claim not, aren't hunting:supergrin:

Don't try to make him feel better. No, I've never missed. :tongueout:

Zombie Steve
12-12-2010, 11:43
I missed a turkey that couldn't have been 35 yards away a few years back. I was sure it was my new choke, so I patterned it after. Turns out the shotgun was fine, I was the one that choked.

:whistling::embarassed:

It happens.

duncan
12-13-2010, 01:21
You'll get that deer next time!

BK63
12-19-2010, 08:15
I had the biggest buck I ever saw 4 years ago cross a valley 80 yards from me just at sunrise. There was fog in the valley and no matter what I did I could not pick him up in the scope. I could see him but not get him in the scope with the way the light was. I watched him cross the valley, go up into the woods on the other side and 10 minutes later I heard a bang in that direction. Some things you never forget.

Brass Nazi
12-23-2010, 22:16
Twigs happen. Luckily it was a clean miss instead of a gutshot or a shot in the deer's rump.