question about overpressure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question about overpressure

panzer10mm
12-06-2010, 16:51
Hi, this is my first post, my name is Jared, and I live in Arizona.

Anyways, I bought some 10mm 200g WFNGC projectiles from double tap ammo. I went off of meathead9's load info and started low. Bieng the cautious person I am, I wanted to post a pic of the primers and get an opinion on whether or not they are overpressured, and if not, what signs would I be looking for when I begin to increase the powder charge? One thing I noticed was the "raised" area around where the firing pin struck, I was wondering if this was the from the primer moving back and contacting the firing pin hole/area. Also, I left the OAL at 1.26 because I didn't know if seating it lower would increase pressure. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan Wesson RZ-10
1.260 OAL
(had to load them 1 at a time bc they wouldn't fit in mag)
CCI350 Primers
8.7g IMR 800X
Nickel Brass (fired twice)

One other thing. I bought some new starline nickel brass that I plan on using with my future 200g loads.

DWARREN123
12-06-2010, 17:24
The one on the bottom right looks funny to me but the others look okay.
Do not go over max on any load.
For pressure signs a primer that is not flat after firing, cupping of the case head (rim), a loud boom and tingling hand.
Sometimes it is impossible to see signs until too late and that is why a pressure (strain) gauge is the only way to tell for sure.
Be safe and have fun

Taterhead
12-06-2010, 23:22
Hi, this is my first post, my name is Jared, and I live in Arizona.

Anyways, I bought some 10mm 200g WFNGC projectiles from double tap ammo. I went off of meathead9's load info and started low. Bieng the cautious person I am, I wanted to post a pic of the primers and get an opinion on whether or not they are overpressured, and if not, what signs would I be looking for when I begin to increase the powder charge? One thing I noticed was the "raised" area around where the firing pin struck, I was wondering if this was the from the primer moving back and contacting the firing pin hole/area. Also, I left the OAL at 1.26 because I didn't know if seating it lower would increase pressure. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan Wesson RZ-10
1.260 OAL
(had to load them 1 at a time bc they wouldn't fit in mag)
CCI350 Primers
8.7g IMR 800X
Nickel Brass (fired twice)

One other thing. I bought some new starline nickel brass that I plan on using with my future 200g loads.

Generally speaking, the condition of the primers is NOT a reliable measure of the pressure conditions. Otherwise fine looking primers may be disguising excess pressure. Primer condition should be part of the inspection routine. However, non-flattened primers does not necessarily mean that things are ok.

Case expansion about the pressure band is a more reliable indicator of what is going on with pressures. How much expansion is the maximum in your setup? You'll need to have a benchmark to reference to. Look into the Waters' method. MakeMineA10mm has a nice writeup on 10mm reloading page under "Everyone read this." I am very intimate with the expansion characteristics of my loads.

Seating to lower overall lenths will likely increase pressures. If you do seat them shorter to permit function in your pistol, you should reduce and do workups again.

MakeMineA10mm
12-07-2010, 22:05
Thanks for that nice complement, Tater!

Jared,
There are many people on this forum, whose advice you can take to the bank. The Shadow, Tater, Fred, MSgt Dotson, agtman, and a few others have impressed me that they have the experience and knowledge of what they're doing with loading high-performance 10mm ammo.

There are others who post here with their results, and those can vary from looking very scientific and well-done, to scary and sloppy. One of the keys I think you should use is to look at how many posts the person has, and how much they post in this forum. Also watch to see if they caution loaders to use moderation, rather than test the physical integrity of their handgun/barrel. Those are signs the person is smart and giving you good advice.

panzer10mm
12-07-2010, 23:45
Awesome, thanks for the responses. I've reloaded alot of .45acp for my friend and never had a problem, but I've ran into alot of problems with my 10mm reloads chambering and I'm starting to figure out why. One thing I've learned is as soon as I think I've figured out reloading, I'll learn something new that'll completely change my perspective.