Great video of what you can do with a pistol grip Mossy 500!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Great video of what you can do with a pistol grip Mossy 500!!

Dogbite
12-06-2010, 18:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4

Aimed fire with the Mossberg 500 pistol grip--very cool. Watch him shoot slugs and hit way out!!

-gunut-
12-07-2010, 06:45
Great video. I have been meaning to do one like that for a while now. There are so many people online that talk **** about pistol grip shotguns and have never even tried them.

DFin
12-07-2010, 07:59
Very informative. He makes it look easy to shoot the slugs accurately with the bead front sight and pistol grip. Do they still make those Birdshead pistol grips for Mossbergs and Remingtons? I heard that they were very highly regarded.

Shooters should be forwarned not to put that gun anywhere near your face when shooting it. There is another youtube video that I watched in which a shooter held a pistol gripped Mossberg too close to his face and almost knocked out his teeth from the recoil.

Bearlaker
12-07-2010, 08:10
Hickock is the man, cool video, I just don't see any advantage in using a pistol grip.
I guess concealment.

-gunut-
12-07-2010, 08:18
Very informative. He makes it look easy to shoot the slugs accurately with the bead front sight and pistol grip. Do they still make those Birdshead pistol grips for Mossbergs and Remingtons? I heard that they were very highly regarded.

Shooters should be forwarned not to put that gun anywhere near your face when shooting it. There is another youtube video that I watched in which a shooter held a pistol gripped Mossberg too close to his face and almost knocked out his teeth from the recoil.

Shooters should be warned to have a proper grip on the shotgun so they can use the sights. The push/pull method is the best for this. I have seen 120lb girls shoot a pistol grip shotgun while using the sights. Stupid hurts. Don't hold is loosely!

-gunut-
12-07-2010, 08:24
Oh and yes, speedfeed makes bird head grips for both shotguns.

Victoriagotagun
12-07-2010, 10:14
Oh and yes, speedfeed makes bird head grips for both shotguns.

Speedfeed no long makes the bird's head grip for Mossberg shotguns....all they did was retrofit the 870 models to fit on the Mossbergs and were stamped with 870 so people who bought them complained so they just stopped making them all together.

Hickock's Mossberg 500 doesn't have a speedfeed birdshead grip...his was bought that way and he believes the original owner made it out of a factory stock.

TxGun
12-07-2010, 17:42
Good video. Personally, I've never had a particular problem controlling a pistol-gripped 12 gauge, even with slugs and/or buckshot. Nor do I have a problem hitting targets at self-defence ranges, or even further for that matter. I actually think most people can probably handle one just fine with a little practice. No, they aren't the most versatile configuration by any stretch, but they can be useful in certain circumstances. Hickok45 does a good job, as usual.

unit1069
12-08-2010, 20:40
I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 that was originally a pistol grip. I shot it a few times over 15 years and pretty much let it sit on a shelf for years. Pistol grip is not the way to go for me.

Once I put the Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable stock on it the shotgun was a serious option for self defense. Watching the video you'll see hickok have occasional difficulty chambering a round; just about every once in five rounds. With a stock held against the shoulder this is pretty much eliminated.

If someone can handle the recoil of a pistol grip shotgun I agree it's a versatile and powerful weapon. I don't have the same confidence in it as I do a short barrel pistol grip with a stock, which overall is just about as maneuverable as a pistol grip only configuration.

Veedubklown
12-08-2010, 21:02
Hickock is the man, cool video, I just don't see any advantage in using a pistol grip.
I guess concealment.

Ease of handling and maneuverability. With a 26" overall length, you can keep the gun at ready, going through a door-way. I have an ATI topfold on my mossberg, and it's great. Although, I rarely fold it up, it's my backup HD. I use my glock for my bedside.

Bucky89
12-08-2010, 21:43
I was definitely surprised at the accuracy he had at long range.

CAcop
12-08-2010, 22:24
A friend of mine at work brought one in and I was expecting to miss at 7-10 yards and I was doing almost as well as a full stock version. I think the birdshead is the way to go though.

CAcop
12-08-2010, 22:30
Speedfeed no long makes the bird's head grip for Mossberg shotguns....all they did was retrofit the 870 models to fit on the Mossbergs and were stamped with 870 so people who bought them complained so they just stopped making them all together.

Hickock's Mossberg 500 doesn't have a speedfeed birdshead grip...his was bought that way and he believes the original owner made it out of a factory stock.

Speedfeed's website.

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html

But I couldn't find it on Brownells or Midway. Did you hear this from Speedfeed or internet.

Victoriagotagun
12-09-2010, 00:34
Speedfeed's website.

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html

But I couldn't find it on Brownells or Midway. Did you hear this from Speedfeed or internet.

From Speedfeed, they still list it on their website but like most firearms manufacturers/accessories dealers they hardly update their website.

gsx7-11
12-09-2010, 14:34
Never fired a pistol grip shotgun, but I did enjoy the video. Thought about getting one for backpacking as well.

Dogbite
12-09-2010, 15:29
Where I am from (Alaska), many people use the pistol grip pumps as bear protection. Loaded with slugs and with a sling to carry over the shoulder. Serious power in a small package.

Aceman
12-09-2010, 16:40
I have indeed shot a pistol grip as just a pistol grip. No problem at all doing it, even with high brass. I have never said that it can't be done. I'm sure I could hit the gong with a slug (might not happen the first shot!).

However - I maintain that I do not believe it is in general a good idea, and I choose not to.

That grip likely helps a bit and is more forgiving than a more vertical pistol grip. Plus, all of the #8 shooting is irrellevent IMO. You will note that he didn't shoot any sporty rounds fast. Those were all very careful - and I'm sure not just for aim.

method
12-09-2010, 22:38
I've shot my 870 folded before, raised up to used the sights. Buck and Slug really aren't that bad, it's all in having your elbow on the strong side bent as little as possible. If you have it bent too far, you might get popped in the mouth.

KevinFACE
12-10-2010, 02:34
I have a Mossberg MOD500A 12 ga. w/ Carbon Fiber grip and pump action.

Up until I saw one shot in this video (though mine has the 90 degree grip) I was semi-terrified to shoot it... now I'm gonna get out and sling some lead with it :)

-gunut-
12-10-2010, 09:58
There are no issues doing this with a 90 degree grip, and may actually be a little easier. A hogue tamer pistol grip really takes it easy on your hand.

mixflip
12-10-2010, 10:28
My only need for a pistol grip would be for concealability under a heavy jacket if I ever needed shotgun power without anyone knowing? I cant think of that scenario in my life being needed at the moment so if I had a 500 for home defense I'd keep a standard rifle stock on the 18" barreled shotgun. Thats just me.

Plus when I run out of ammo (6 shots go fast), a buttstroke is much more effective with a standard rifle stock.

Loved the video! and I'd still like to have a pistol gripped 500 just for the cool factor alone.

Glock27NY
12-10-2010, 11:07
I highly recommend Blackhawk (knoxx) recoil reducing breacher grip. I have one on my 590 breacher and I love it!

pugman
12-11-2010, 07:38
I was definitely surprised at the accuracy he had at long range.

Watch all his videos..I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't shoot 1,000 rounds or more a week in various loads and calibers. Then again with a home range like that who wouldn't?

Check out his G26 Video. Talon Grips (http://talongungrips.com/) an advertiser here has it on their home page.

Hickock45 easily pops targets at 80 yards with a stock G26

1985 4Runner
12-11-2010, 07:54
Tagged.

WiskyT
12-11-2010, 09:20
Watch all his videos..I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't shoot 1,000 rounds or more a week in various loads and calibers. Then again with a home range like that who wouldn't?

Check out his G26 Video. Talon Grips (http://talongungrips.com/) an advertiser here has it on their home page.

Hickock45 easily pops targets at 80 yards with a stock G26

Hickock is good, no doubt. But, it is easier than most people think to hit that round gong he has. I'm guessing that one is about 80yards? We have a smaller gong at about 70 yards. It's 14", his is bigger judging by the tires near it. A decent shooter, not great shooter, can hit it with a little practice. I'm decent, not great. I'm not bragging and I'm not the stuff legends are made of. I hit the 14" gong more often than not with my SW442 and G27. The point I'm making is that if I can do it, you can do it.

The hard part for most shooters is the opportunity to shoot targets like that. Most shooters are stuck shooting 25 yards or less with 8.5"x11" paper and don't get to try it out.

vafish
12-11-2010, 10:23
He needs to shoot some clay targets with his pistol gripped shotgun.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/vafishtrapshooting.jpg

Deaf Smith
12-11-2010, 12:23
I am impressed with the video.

Now note he is not using the 'cruiser' grip that comes from Mossberg and other companies. He cut down a mossie stock and the grip slopes much different than the commercial ones. I bet that makes quite a difference.

I might have to find an old Mossie stock and try that. My 500 came with a pistol grip I hate and this might be the answer.

Deaf

mac66
12-11-2010, 13:47
My old Mossy 500 was similar to the one in the video. I bought it at a police auction for $20 back in the early 80s. The 28" bbl was cut down to 19" and I put a pistol grip on it. Pretty fun gun to play with but never really needed it for self defense. I restored it to the original stock and bought a few more barrels for it.

I will say, having used a number of pistol grip stocks on mine that the birds head is the easiest to shoot. It doesn't crank on the wrist as much as a vertical grip.

-gunut-
12-12-2010, 05:15
I am impressed with the video.

Now note he is not using the 'cruiser' grip that comes from Mossberg and other companies. He cut down a mossie stock and the grip slopes much different than the commercial ones. I bet that makes quite a difference.

I might have to find an old Mossie stock and try that. My 500 came with a pistol grip I hate and this might be the answer.

Deaf

It would be easier if you just got a decent pistol grip. Try the hogue tamer. It's only around $15 or so and makes a world of difference!

AlexHassin
12-17-2010, 14:51
That looks like a lot of fun. And would probably make a great apartment defense weapon. Wonder if there legal hear? I dont currently have a specific shotgun for apartment defense.

gnasty1521
12-22-2010, 07:19
Not to highjack, but does anyone know where I can get a bridshead grip for my Mossberg 500? I have search all the sites, but it has been discontinued. Where is the honeycomb hideout?

Victoriagotagun
12-22-2010, 10:16
Not to highjack, but does anyone know where I can get a bridshead grip for my Mossberg 500? I have search all the sites, but it has been discontinued. Where is the honeycomb hideout?

Since it has been discontinued, it seems like everyone wanted one so it looks like your best bet to finding on is going to be on ebay or one of the gun auction sites.

Also, since all Speedfeed did was retrofit the 870 one to fit the 500/590 maybe with a little work its possible to do it yourself?

gnasty1521
12-22-2010, 13:42
OK new question. They have a Winchester 1300 at the local pawn shop, do they make on still for this shotgun?