Comparing Zoom on camcorders (apples to apples) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Zoom on camcorders (apples to apples)

hickok45
12-07-2010, 06:28
I'm shopping for a HD camcorder. We have a 25X optical zoom on our Sony Handycam, and we make use of it, as you all who have seen my videos know.

Well, it seems the better the camera I start to get excited about, the lower the zoom. One fairly expensive camera I'm growing fond of is the Canon HF 21, but it has a 10 X optical zoom. I see some much less expensive cameras with 60X optical zoom?

A fellow at one shop told me he's compared some of these "high-zoom" cameras with "lower zoom" cameras, and he could not tell any difference. duh?

Anyway, as if all the other format compatibility issues are not enough to drive one silly; the zoom should be pretty evident, shouldn't it. 10 X should mean 10 times and 25X should mean that the camera will zoom more than twice what the 10X does, provided it's optical zoom?

Help!
Thanks,
Hickok45

inthefrey
12-07-2010, 11:34
Are you editing your footage? If so, what software?

Is this an MPEG4 camera?
Optical soom is ALWAYS better.
Beware of cameras boasting "digital zoom"

hickok45
12-08-2010, 14:52
Yes, I guess it's an Mpeg4 camera, you'd say - not HD. We've been using Winudows Movie Maker, but we'll need to upgrade when we go HD. Yeah, I was aware of the digital zoom claims, but my current camera is 25X Optical Zoom, and I just think it's curious that a zoom this powerful is so rare on newer HD cameras.