New Bow - Should I Return It? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Bow - Should I Return It?

smoke
12-08-2010, 08:49
Been looking for a new bow without breaking the bank. Bass Pro had PSE Stinger RTS bows on sale for $300 @ Thanksgiving, so after a little research (not enough), I bought one. I had previously shot the same bow that belongs to a guy I hunt with.

The archery guy at the store was by himself and very busy, so I ask if I can bring it back later to get it set-up. He says yes, so I pay for it and leave.

I get home with the bow and find out that it's a 2010 model. I thought they were just having a sale and not a clearance. Bottom line is that the 2011 Stinger is a faster/shorter bow for less full retail and comes with more extras. I'm going to have to add a stabilizer and sling to this one and the 2011 comes with all that.

I guess I'm a little bent because nobody said anything about this being a 2010 model. According to PSE, 2011's have been out since 10/1.

Should I return it or suck it up?

Dennis in MA
12-08-2010, 09:04
How much is a 2011? If you aren't happy, get what will make you happy.

smoke
12-08-2010, 09:09
how much is a 2011? If you aren't happy, get what will make you happy.

$400 msrp, free ship/no tax.

noway
12-08-2010, 09:42
Get what you need and want and can afford. If the newer model is shorter and faster , that might be incentives to exchange the bow.

Q: When you bought the bow,id you know read or look at the display model 1st before picking it up or was it a mailorderd item.

smoke
12-08-2010, 10:01
Get what you need and want and can afford. If the newer model is shorter and faster , that might be incentives to exchange the bow.

Q: When you bought the bow,id you know read or look at the display model 1st before picking it up or was it a mailorderd item.

The 2011 is 14 fps faster, about 1" shorter. Comes with stab and sling, which is worth about $30. If I get the new bow, it won't be from Bass Pro for several reasons. I paid $330 total for the 2010, I can get the 2011 for $400 to my door. If I subtract the $30 extras from the $70 diff, then I can get a newer/faster/shorter bow for about $40 more.

I looked at the display of a 50/60 and I bought a 60/70. I saw it in the Thanksgiving sale paper before that. No mention of 2010 model. I liken it to buying a car. Current models are worth a lot less once the new year model comes out.

Usingmyrights
12-15-2010, 11:33
I'm surprized that you didn't actually look at the bow you were purchasing before walking out the door. If they take it back, thats great, but I saw that its your error for not checking, not there's.

smoke
12-15-2010, 14:03
I'm surprized that you didn't actually look at the bow you were purchasing before walking out the door. If they take it back, thats great, but I saw that its your error for not checking, not there's.

You cannot tell what year model a bow is by looking at it. Hell, the manufacturer couldn't even tell me without the SN. The 2010 & the 2011 look almost exactly the same.

boomchakabowwow
12-15-2010, 19:20
i would return it.

proshops wouldnt take it back, but i bet basspro will. dump it back on them. you work hard for your cash. get what you want. they shouldnt let you go out the door without a properly set up bow anyways. an amateur could hurt themselves..

Usingmyrights
12-18-2010, 10:25
The 2011 is 14 fps faster, about 1" shorter. Comes with stab and sling, which is worth about $30.

So you can't tell the difference between a bow with a sling and stab and one without? You did notice this difference between the 2 years otherwise you never would have known and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Think about it for a second. Also if you look on the lower limb, is should have a little decal/sticker with the bow info on it.

bluejackets92fs
12-18-2010, 10:32
I used to deal with PSE. The stinger is a base model bow. It will put down any animal in North America just fine, but if you're looking for a fast bow with a lot of extras, then the Stinger is not the one to get. 300 bones is a good deal for a 2010 model. They are reliable bows too so I'd say you did fine but if it isn't ideally what you want then return it and get what you do want. Nothing worse than an impulse buy and being unsatisfied in a month.

smoke
12-18-2010, 15:21
So you can't tell the difference between a bow with a sling and stab and one without? You did notice this difference between the 2 years otherwise you never would have known and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Think about it for a second. Also if you look on the lower limb, is should have a little decal/sticker with the bow info on it.

I have yet to see a bow that you can tell the year model by what's on the decal. Then, there are bare bows, factory RTS (Ready To Shoot) packages, Factory Field Ready Packages, and Packages set-up by the Pro-Shop/Vendor. Needless to say, it's very hard to keep up. I am learning so I don't make this mistake again!

Oh, and the bow I bought was still in the box.

Usingmyrights
12-21-2010, 08:50
I have yet to see a bow that you can tell the year model by what's on the decal. Then, there are bare bows, factory RTS (Ready To Shoot) packages, Factory Field Ready Packages, and Packages set-up by the Pro-Shop/Vendor. Needless to say, it's very hard to keep up. I am learning so I don't make this mistake again!

Oh, and the bow I bought was still in the box.

Mine is on the decal, and I've seen others as well. I've never heard of anyone building different bow because its going into a package. They just crank them out and pull some to use to put together in a package. All of the info thats on a bare bow should be on a package bow and vice-versa. As far as not opening up the box, thats on you. Unless the box is marked you should have checked. On taht note, how could you fault the sales person for grabbing an '10 unless the box is marked. This is ultimately about responsiblity, and it comes down to you should have taken the responsibilty to check the bow before walking out of the store. Even if you were best friends with the salesman and new without a doubt that, that was the bow you wanted, you never know when there might be a tiny flaw in that individual bow. Always check before you leave the store.

smoke
12-21-2010, 09:02
Mine is on the decal, and I've seen others as well. I've never heard of anyone building different bow because its going into a package. They just crank them out and pull some to use to put together in a package. All of the info thats on a bare bow should be on a package bow and vice-versa. As far as not opening up the box, thats on you. Unless the box is marked you should have checked. On taht note, how could you fault the sales person for grabbing an '10 unless the box is marked. This is ultimately about responsiblity, and it comes down to you should have taken the responsibilty to check the bow before walking out of the store. Even if you were best friends with the salesman and new without a doubt that, that was the bow you wanted, you never know when there might be a tiny flaw in that individual bow. Always check before you leave the store.

Who said anything about faulting the sales guy? My beef is with Bass Pro for selling 2010 bows on "close-out" without disclosing that they were 2010 models instead of 2011. In fact, the 2011's came out in the Christmas sale flyer. I say again - there's nothing on the decal that indicates year model.

How would you feel if a car dealer tried that?

Usingmyrights
12-21-2010, 09:25
Its one thing say say that its X and deliver Y, but they didn't do that. I'm also sure that you are aware that cars have come with decals for years with all of their info on them in the drivers door jamb. Beginning in 7/XX its going to be the next years model.