How about some 1911 advice... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How about some 1911 advice...

SIGShooter
12-08-2010, 15:44
Here is my plan/direction I am going with my guns…

1911 for SD/HD and pretty much everything in between.

I am looking at a setup like this…

5" Gov
5" Gov w/Rail
4.25" Commander

Currently I have a Baer TRS that has been 110% since I bought it. I have carried it, shot the snot out of it and love it. Been looking at the Ultimate Recon, TRS Commanche and a Stinger.

However, I got to fondle an Ed Brown at Cabela's a couple weeks ago and liked what I saw. I think it was a special order (Brand New) KC…It had 30 LPI checkering on the front strap and MSH.

What are some of your thoughts and opinions on the Brown's? Could I do better? If so, who/what maker?

Quack
12-08-2010, 15:55
Browns are good guns and priced right. My preference for semi-custom makers would be Brown and Springfield.

Hokie1911
12-08-2010, 16:05
Browns are good guns and priced right. My preference for semi-custom makers would be Brown and Springfield.

What he said. I'm kind of partial to Brown. :supergrin:

How much are you looking to spend?

SIGShooter
12-08-2010, 16:20
What he said. I'm kind of partial to Brown. :supergrin:

How much are you looking to spend?

I did some figuring on the cost of all 3 guns and it would put me around 7K +.

Is there a charge for any special requests from Brown?

I was looking at the SF line. I like them all.

My requests would be…

25 LPI checkering Front strap and MSH
Slim Grips
Night Sights
Non ambi safety
Solid trigger (Not those weird looking flat ones!)
Naked slide

Didn't have the time today to call and ask. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Sorry Quack…Had to rib ya on the flat trigger!

Hokie1911
12-08-2010, 16:27

My requests would be…

Slim Grips
Night Sights
Non ambi safety
Naked slide

Look at the Executive Carry. 25LPI I believe. No cost for NS or naked slide. No ambi and you can get a solid trigger. Not sure about the factory grips if you can get slims from Brown, but that's a quick fix.

Brown is really flexible. I changed my build specs 3x from my original order.

Quack
12-08-2010, 16:33

My requests would be…

Slim Grips
Night Sights
Non ambi safety
Naked slide

build it from scratch...
http://www.edbrown.com/adobe.pdf/2010-Handgun.pdf

i don't care about the ribbing...just because i know that Sig is the new Kimber :whistling:

Quack
12-08-2010, 16:36
forgot to add that the lead time is about 90days from order and most of the time it's completed before that.

bac1023
12-08-2010, 16:53
Brown's and Baers are quite a bit different.

I probably like Baers better overall, but Browns are more refined, no doubt about it.

SIGShooter
12-08-2010, 17:53
build it from scratch...
http://www.edbrown.com/adobe.pdf/2010-Handgun.pdf

i don't care about the ribbing...just because i know that Sig is the new Kimber :whistling:

Ouch!

I'm taking my toys and going home Quack!

SIGShooter
12-08-2010, 17:57
Brown's and Baers are quite a bit different.

I probably like Baers better overall, but Browns are more refined, no doubt about it.

Any particular reason for liking the Baers better?

I've had Wilson, SA, Colt and Baer.

I still have the Baer and none of the others.

From everything I've read, many many people regard the Baer as a no BS 1911 that gets used hard. I have no experience with the Brown 1911s so I can only comment on the ones I've owned.

Quack
12-08-2010, 18:00
FWIW, the 5" Baer's are fine, but the smaller sizes could be a problem if you "slingshot" the slide rather than using the slide lock to release the slide while reloading.

SIGShooter
12-08-2010, 18:44
FWIW, the 5" Baer's are fine, but the smaller sizes could be a problem if you "slingshot" the slide rather than using the slide lock to release the slide while reloading.

If this is the only problem with them then I am fine. I have switched to using the slide lock to release the slide. I catch myself at times going back to the "Old" ways but I'm progressing.

I've read about some of the problems in regards to this issue.

Question on that…Is it that big of a deal that they don't slingshot? I mean they will still function and operate normally if you use the slide lock, correct?

Quack
12-08-2010, 18:49
it's a big deal if you train that way. the Baer Commanche isn't "designed" to slingshot. in other words, Baer essentially just shortens the dust cover of a government sized frame to a Commander size w/o shortening the slide rails. Not shortening the slide rails reduces the rearward movement of the slide.

SIGShooter
12-08-2010, 19:26
it's a big deal if you train that way. the Baer Commanche isn't "designed" to slingshot. in other words, Baer essentially just shortens the dust cover of a government sized frame to a Commander size w/o shortening the slide rails. Not shortening the slide rails reduces the rearward movement of the slide.

Good explanation.

Does Brown manufacture them the "proper" way?

Quack
12-08-2010, 19:27
Good explanation.

Does Brown manufacture them the "proper" way?

yes...

Corso0331
12-08-2010, 20:15
Go for the Brown, you will be more than pleased with it. I have an Executive Carry that has treated me well over the years.

MajorD
12-08-2010, 21:21
the problem you quote of the les baers not being able to be sling shotted- most come shipped with a shok buff in- get rid of it and the problem goes away-who needs an extra plastic part that could break and tie up the gun in there anyway?
we all like to get new guns but if you have a perfectly functioning les baer thunder ranch you are not going to gain anything in getting another 5 inch 1911. the shorter versions I guess if you want them