Easiest "Automatic" HDD Backup? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Easiest "Automatic" HDD Backup?

Obi Wan
12-08-2010, 19:29
I've got a simple system right now. Basically a single 120 gig HDD with an external USB 120 gig portable HDD I use for my 'My Doc' backup.

One of these days I'll probably install the HDD from my old PC as an onboard 'D' drive, but I'm still using the old PC for taxes and some financial stuff so it ain't gonna happen immediately.

Is there a simple way to set up an automatic back-up of my 'My Documents' for just the updated files/folders, and maybe another folder or two (e.g., Pictures), versus having to back up all of it every time?

As it is I'm just doing it manually when I remember to do it before I close down for the night, and that's a bit risky.

Thanks.

srhoades
12-08-2010, 23:42
If you can keep it no larger than 2 GB's, Mozy will back it up over the internet for free AND to your external drive at the same time, all automatically.

Sgt. Schultz
12-09-2010, 07:09
Take a look at ...

http://www.backup4all.com/

... it's not free but it is very good, you can create and manage backups easily to any media, avoid the lite version.

If you want a free program take a look at Cobian Backup ...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Cobian_Backup_d4739.html

... the version I used a few years ago didn't allow for backup to CD/DVD drives or compression.

IndyGunFreak
12-09-2010, 07:14
I've always used Brain 1.0.. ;)

RMD
12-09-2010, 10:00
Take a look at ...

... it's not free but it is very good, you can create and manage backups easily to any media, avoid the lite version.

... the version I used a few years ago didn't allow for backup to CD/DVD drives or compression.

+1 for Cobian as a free Windows backup utility. I use it on my one remaining Windows system.

Obi Wan
12-09-2010, 10:55
If you can keep it no larger than 2 GB's, Mozy will back it up over the internet for free AND to your external drive at the same time, all automatically.
I'm sure it will/is over 2 GB's, and if not, will be. Besides, at least for now, I don't want to put any backups of any personal files on the Internet. It's tough enough keeping things secure at home, much less trusting cyberspace.
Take a look at ...

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. :cool:

srhoades
12-09-2010, 11:02
I'm sure it will/is over 2 GB's, and if not, will be. Besides, at least for now, I don't want to put any backups of any personal files on the Internet. It's tough enough keeping things secure at home, much less trusting cyberspace.

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. :cool:

It's highly encrypted.

Obi Wan
12-09-2010, 11:08
It's highly encrypted.

So are the DOD systems, et al, and they get cracked 'every day', right?

Just sayin'...

MavsX
12-09-2010, 11:10
carbonite.com is pretty easy unlimited amount of storage flat rate. i think its 55 a year. also its x-mas time i think they offer like a 3 year plan for $120

Pierre!
12-09-2010, 17:21
Carbonite and Mozy offer almost the same packages...

BUT - Mozy allows you to backup to an external USB device as well! Local restorations are *MUCH* faster than Online...

For instance -

I am currently testing my backups due to another thread I read on another forum. Won't say who's service said 'tough luck' to their user, and the fellow is an older gentleman who many not have 'assured' his backups... but still, telling someone 'tough, we don't have your data' without a reasonable explanation is kinda harsh... so I am testing mine 'to be sure'... :cool:

Restored 49Gb of my Mozy backup to a Test directory in just over 1 hour this morning. It was finished by 9:30am...

I immediately began downloading the *same* set to another location on my drive.. It's now 4:00pm and it appears to be halfway done. It should finish in the middle of the night (and I ain't staying up to time it! :wow:) and that's on a 10 meg down pipe. Of course Mozy throttles it, they all do...

So - I really like the Local Restore option! And, if the house burns down, or my stuff is ripped off I can still access all the data as I begin the download at the new site or with new equipment.

Mozy Rocks for me... So far!

HTH...

mgo
12-09-2010, 19:07
SyncBack has a freeware version of their excellent program. I paid the $40.00 or so for the "Pro" version, just because I like to support good software.

It will back up files that are open, like Outlook and Word, etc, so you do not have to close programs to make a backup.

It can be scheduled to run as often in a day as you like.

I use an external USB drive for backups and keep it in the trunk of the car. That's -my- cheapskate version of off site backup!

Obi Wan
12-14-2010, 14:07
Just an update for anyone who may be wondering about these things...

I've been using the Cobian Backup program for the past week and it really is a piece of cake. I had to correct one folder path the first day and since then I've got it backing up incrementally every night with no issues.

Thanks for the suggestion! It'll keep me out of trouble until I get a more in-depth/online(?) setup.

RMD
12-14-2010, 14:49

I've been using the Cobian Backup program for the past week and it really is a piece of cake. I had to correct one folder path the first day and since then I've got it backing up incrementally every night with no issues.

Thanks for the suggestion! It'll keep me out of trouble until I get a more in-depth/online(?) setup.

Good to hear! It really is a great little free program.

Sgt. Schultz
12-14-2010, 19:00

Good ... now the last and most important step of any data backup routine ... be sure to verify that the data is good/usable.

seanmac45
12-14-2010, 19:44
Tagged

kc8ykd
12-14-2010, 20:44
Good ... now the last and most important step of any data backup routine ... be sure to verify that the data is good/usable.

this is incredibly important, and something i'd recommend checking once every month or two to ensure the backups are working properly.

we had this tape robot at work in which one of the drives was mucking up the data on tapes.. didn't find out about it till a couple months after we started using it, the hard way. i think it was like $80k to bring it back into warranty, but it sure looked cool as the arms moved around.

muscles
12-14-2010, 20:49
i use time machine on mac...is there anything similar for windows?

srhoades
12-14-2010, 22:10
i use time machine on mac...is there anything similar for windows?

Acronis. I use it.

Obi Wan
12-15-2010, 11:41

Excellent point. I've verified the "My Documents" data is readable, etc, but am puzzled by the fact that each nights incremental change log becomes a new "My Documents" folder tree. I guess I was expecting that the 'full backup' log would just get the changed files/folders updated each day. As it is, I'll need to manually delete the extra folder trees each week or so to keep from filling up space.

Or do I just have a setting set wrong? I opted to set it up as an "application' instead of a service because the service instructions confused me at the time.

Here's what the log file looks like for my Outlook folder backup...

2010-12-15 02:00 This might be only a fragment of the log file. To see the whole log file, select Log-Open log files
2010-12-15 02:00 *** A new backup has begun. Number of tasks in queue: 1 ***
2010-12-15 02:00 Preventing the system from entering Sleep mode
2010-12-15 02:00 Applying parameters to the task "Outlook Backup1"
2010-12-15 02:00 ** Starting backup for the task "Outlook Backup1" **
2010-12-15 02:00 Calculating the number of files to backup for the task "Outlook Backup1"
2010-12-15 02:00 Starting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot for the drives: C:\
2010-12-15 02:00 The Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set has been created successfully
2010-12-15 02:00 Creating the destination directory "D:\My Docs\Outlook Backup\Outlook 2010-12-15 02;00;17 (Incremental)"
2010-12-15 02:00 The destination directory "D:\My Docs\Outlook Backup\Outlook 2010-12-15 02;00;17 (Incremental)" was successfully created
2010-12-15 02:00 Backing up the directory "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\Chuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
2010-12-15 02:37 Deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot "713b0492-07f3-4c22-aeee-147dcbab1cb3"
2010-12-15 02:37 The Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set has been successfully deleted
2010-12-15 02:37 *** Task "Outlook Backup1" finished. Processed files: 18. Backed up files: 15. Errors: 0 ***
2010-12-15 02:37 ** The backup of "Outlook Backup1" has ended. Elapsed time for the task: 0 hour(s), 37 minute(s), 43 second(s) **
2010-12-15 02:37
2010-12-15 02:37 The system can now enter Sleep mode
2010-12-15 02:37 Total elapsed time for all the backed up tasks: Hours: 0, Minutes: 37, Seconds: 47
2010-12-15 02:37 *** Backup finished. Processed files: 18. Backed up files: 15. Errors: 0 ***

See anything odd?

Thanks.

RMD
12-15-2010, 12:06
Excellent point. I've verified the "My Documents" data is readable, etc, but am puzzled by the fact that each nights incremental change log becomes a new "My Documents" folder tree. I guess I was expecting that the 'full backup' log would just get the changed files/folders updated each day. As it is, I'll need to manually delete the extra folder trees each week or so to keep from filling up space.

Or do I just have a setting set wrong? I opted to set it up as an "application' instead of a service because the service instructions confused me at the time.

Here's what the log file looks like for my Outlook folder backup...

See anything odd?

Thanks.

I believe there is a setting for creating new folder based on date or something (not near my Windows system so I don't know the exact details). You'll want to deselect it.

kirklite99
12-15-2010, 16:48
Acronis. I use it.

+1 Acronis True Image Home 10.0 is a GREAT backup utility. It's saved me more than once. Have a serious problem or a virus you can't get rid of? Nuke it from orbit... Acronis will do a complete low level format and restore a completely bootable copy. It will be like nothing ever happened...since the last backup. Fast, too. I back up about 80 gigs and it takes less than 2 hours. Restore is even faster for some reason.

wct097
12-15-2010, 17:14
I'm a geek, so I have a server setup in the basement, and another that I keep at my mom's house. I use Deltacopy (rsync for Windows) to backup to my linux server over SSH. That backup then gets synced to the other machine at my mom's house. Realistically, it's too complex for the average user. I HIGHLY recommend using one of the cloud services to back up your data to the internet.

I don't want to put any backups of any personal files on the Internet. It's tough enough keeping things secure at home, much less trusting cyberspace.

Keep thinking that way and let us know how your backup program works after the hard drive melts when your house burns down. Trust me. You want to store your backups off-site if they're important enough to actually back up. I lost everything when my house burned down.

...and don't forget to take a copy offsite regularly.

Obi Wan
12-16-2010, 10:26
Had an error show up this morning for the second time. It also showed up with the same verbage on the first morning...

2010-12-16 02:00 This might be only a fragment of the log file. To see the whole log file, select Log-Open log files
2010-12-16 02:00 *** A new backup has begun. Number of tasks in queue: 1 ***
2010-12-16 02:00 Preventing the system from entering Sleep mode
2010-12-16 02:00 Applying parameters to the task "Outlook Backup1"
2010-12-16 02:00 ** Starting backup for the task "Outlook Backup1" **
2010-12-16 02:00 Calculating the number of files to backup for the task "Outlook Backup1"
2010-12-16 02:00 Starting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot for the drives: C:\
2010-12-16 02:01 The Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set has been created successfully
ERR 2010-12-16 02:01 The source directory "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\Chuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" doesn't exist
2010-12-16 02:01 The history file for "Outlook Backup1" will not be saved because the result of the backup is empty
2010-12-16 02:01 Deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot "bf7d1f85-1af0-4709-a4e3-9acd16069604"
ERR 2010-12-16 02:02 Error while deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set: Deletion of snapshot failed: The requested object does not exist.
2010-12-16 02:02 *** Task "Outlook Backup1" finished. Processed files: 0. Backed up files: 0. Errors: 2 ***
2010-12-16 02:02 ** The backup of "Outlook Backup1" has ended. Elapsed time for the task: 0 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 57 second(s) **
2010-12-16 02:02
2010-12-16 02:02 The system can now enter Sleep mode
2010-12-16 02:02 Total elapsed time for all the backed up tasks: Hours: 0, Minutes: 2, Seconds: 7
2010-12-16 02:02 *** Backup finished. Processed files: 0. Backed up files: 0. Errors: 2 ***
Now look back up to my previous post of the log file and you'll see that this error didn't show up. Note the Outlook was running both times.

Any ideas as to what I'm missing here??? :dunno:

RMD
12-16-2010, 11:12
Had an error show up this morning for the second time. It also showed up with the same verbage on the first morning...

Now look back up to my previous post of the log file and you'll see that this error didn't show up. Note the Outlook was running both times.

It appears as if there was no new info to back up, so the backup set was empty, but you've gone beyond my knowledge of the product now :)

kirklite99
12-16-2010, 11:24
Keep thinking that way and let us know how your backup program works after the hard drive melts when your house burns down. Trust me. You want to store your backups off-site if they're important enough to actually back up. I lost everything when my house burned down.

VERY good point. People also think they're "okay" with an external HDD in their "fire proof" gun safe. Uh, no... Just because things may not actually get to the point of combustion in a "fireproof" safe, it will still get VERY HOT. Hot enough to melt/destroy the magnetic platter in the HDD. Boom...everything lost...

Obi Wan
12-16-2010, 11:35
It appears as if there was no new info to back up, so the backup set was empty, but you've gone beyond my knowledge of the product now :)
If I didn't have 200+ emails per day flow into Outlook I'd agree with you, but since there are fresh emails filed or replied to all day I'd guess there would almost always been something to incrementally back up.

Other non-email folders I could see what you're saying, though.

Pierre!
12-17-2010, 20:12

Check the file name character count... you only get 256 characters in a file name. That path was looking rather long. All characters in the directory path count as part of the file name.

Been Wrong Before, but try checking some of the path lengths. More than once I have found things like Internet Favorites that are waaaay too long to backup or restore properly.

I have gotten to where my file names have no spaces. I work by CapitolizationToAccomplishTheSameThing... see what I mean? A few characters here and there will eventually matter!

Check those path lengths, and then move the files to a shorter directory if possible.

HTH!

gamegod86
12-17-2010, 23:15
carbonite.com is pretty easy unlimited amount of storage flat rate. i think its 55 a year. also its x-mas time i think they offer like a 3 year plan for $120

I agree that Carbonite is easy. It's also VERY SLOW to upload. To be fair, I'm backing up over 300GB of photos, but after 200, they slow your upload to a trickle. On 24/7, ostensibly uploading the entire time (gotta verify that), I have photos on HDD that have been in the backup queue for a month and haven't gone up yet.

Their software is also a pig.

So far, they have been reliable. The slow uploads are excruciating though...

GlockBill
12-20-2010, 09:17
tagged

Obi Wan
12-21-2010, 15:47
Check the file name character count... you only get 256 characters in a file name. That path was looking rather long. All characters in the directory path count as part of the file name.

Been Wrong Before, but try checking some of the path lengths. More than once I have found things like Internet Favorites that are waaaay too long to backup or restore properly.

I have gotten to where my file names have no spaces. I work by CapitolizationToAccomplishTheSameThing... see what I mean? A few characters here and there will eventually matter!

Check those path lengths, and then move the files to a shorter directory if possible.

HTH!
Interesting thought. But just counted the "error" path above and there's only 128 characters - start to finish - so that doesn't appear to be the issue at hand.

I'll try closing down Outlook for the night and see if that makes any difference. :dunno:

Rabbit994
12-21-2010, 17:20
I'll try closing down Outlook for the night and see if that makes any difference. :dunno:

It will. Volume Snapshots are used to backup open files. It's also horribly unreliable on anything pre Vista.

Snapshot means, I can't backup it up since it's open so let me make a copy of it and back that up. So your computer is:
2010-12-16 02:01 The Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set has been created successfully Made a copy of .pst to back it up
ERR 2010-12-16 02:01 The source directory "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\Chuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" doesn't exist Can't find the Volume Snapshot I just made (not horribly unusual, means Snapshot failed despite earlier message of being successful)
2010-12-16 02:01 The history file for "Outlook Backup1" will not be saved because the result of the backup is empty Can't back up a non existent file
2010-12-16 02:01 Deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot "bf7d1f85-1af0-4709-a4e3-9acd16069604" Don't need Volume Shadow Copy so let me purge it
ERR 2010-12-16 02:02 Error while deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set: Deletion of snapshot failed: The requested object does not exist. Can't purge something that doesn't exist

BTW, leaving a bunch of emails lying around in .psts in Outlook is asking for tears. Lots and Lots of tears. Backing up .PSTs has always been hit or miss.

Obi Wan
12-21-2010, 18:59
It will. Volume Snapshots are used to backup open files. It's also horribly unreliable on anything pre Vista.

Snapshot means, I can't backup it up since it's open so let me make a copy of it and back that up. So your computer is:
2010-12-16 02:01 The Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set has been created successfully Made a copy of .pst to back it up
ERR 2010-12-16 02:01 The source directory "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\Chuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" doesn't exist Can't find the Volume Snapshot I just made (not horribly unusual, means Snapshot failed despite earlier message of being successful)
2010-12-16 02:01 The history file for "Outlook Backup1" will not be saved because the result of the backup is empty Can't back up a non existent file
2010-12-16 02:01 Deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot "bf7d1f85-1af0-4709-a4e3-9acd16069604" Don't need Volume Shadow Copy so let me purge it
ERR 2010-12-16 02:02 Error while deleting the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot set: Deletion of snapshot failed: The requested object does not exist. Can't purge something that doesn't exist

BTW, leaving a bunch of emails lying around in .psts in Outlook is asking for tears. Lots and Lots of tears. Backing up .PSTs has always been hit or miss.
Dang... you make it sound like it makes so much sense it's ridiculous... :supergrin:

I thought something like that might be going on but wasn't sure how it worked. Thanks for the clarification.

Obi Wan
12-22-2010, 09:48
I've searched the FAQ's and either missed the answers or they aren't there...

1. If you have a 'Full' backup every 7 days, and then incremental backups for the next 6 days in between, how do you restore the full and then the incrementals so that you end up with a complete copy of "My Docs" (for example) as it would be just prior to the next full backup?

Never mind... I changed the backup type to 'Differential' so that it copies everything that has changed since the last FULL backup. That way there's only two files to copy back if needed... right?

2. Does this following error indicate that something (spyware?) is accessing my Outlook file at 2am? There was a message like this for every Outlook .pst folder I have set to backup, and there certainly shouldn't be any programs of mine accessing the archive files. How do I ID what's done it?

ERR 2010-12-21 02:02 Couldn't copy the file "C:\Documents and Settings\Chuck\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Archive_P_Sent Mail_97_07.pst": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Thanks!