Thinking about ordering another Custom Shop Operator [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about ordering another Custom Shop Operator

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 08:14
Shooting my 9mm Springfield Custom Shop Fullrail Operator a couple of times in the past week has me contemplating ordering another one - this time in 45 ACP with black T or armory coat.

I have the chance at getting a new TRP Full Rail Operator soon. But by paying for the gun and the sales tax, and then getting a trigger job to make the trigger 4 lbs... And then getting Nighthawk adjustable sights put on (I hate the silver rings that Springfield uses around their night sights).... That will push the gun up to close to $2,000 after I pay the shipping of the gun for the trigger job....

At that point, I may as well just get a Custom Shop Operator with fixed Novaks for around $2800. I'm not going to get the rear of the slide serrated this time, but will go with a beveled slide stop.

It will likely be the end of Spring before I could order it. George at Gunslingers doesn't take credit cards, so I have to save up some $. I could order it locally, but then there is sales tax, and I'd lose the $200+ discount he gives ya on the MSRP price....

Anyway, I have a few months to think about it... Instead of ordering a 5" Ed Brown Kobra, I'm thinking of going this way. The Browns do have a little bit better fit and finish - but that Custom Shop 9mm I have is just super sweet to shoot. I also seem to prefer the feel of the Springfield grip safety and thumb safety just slightly more than the ones on my Ed Brown Special Forces.

I also had to cancel a Custom Shop Custom Carry earlier this year due to health problems. Thankfully, I'm better now. But, I'm still wanting another Custom Springer...

I could get a Pro next year and not have to wait, but I prefer bull barrels over bushing barrels. Add, the bushing on the pros are pretty tight in the beginning. I also don't like the silver rings around the tritium....

Quack
12-09-2010, 09:26
DO IT!!! :supergrin:

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 09:30
That's like skipping the Gallardo to get a 458 Italia. You win either way. :supergrin:

glock2740
12-09-2010, 10:03
Shooting my 9mm Springfield Custom Shop Fullrail Operator a couple of times in the past week has me contemplating ordering another one - this time in 45 ACP with black T or armory coat.

I have the chance at getting a new TRP Full Rail Operator soon. But by paying for the gun and the sales tax, and then getting a trigger job to make the trigger 4 lbs... And then getting Nighthawk adjustable sights put on (I hate the silver rings that Springfield uses around their night sights).... That will push the gun up to close to $2,000 after I pay the shipping of the gun for the trigger job....

At that point, I may as well just get a Custom Shop Operator with fixed Novaks for around $2800. I'm not going to get the rear of the slide serrated this time, but will go with a beveled slide stop.

It will likely be the end of Spring before I could order it. George at Gunslingers doesn't take credit cards, so I have to save up some $. I could order it locally, but then there is sales tax, and I'd lose the $200+ discount he gives ya on the MSRP price....

Anyway, I have a few months to think about it... Instead of ordering a 5" Ed Brown Kobra, I'm thinking of going this way. The Browns do have a little bit better fit and finish - but that Custom Shop 9mm I have is just super sweet to shoot. I also seem to prefer the feel of the Springfield grip safety and thumb safety just slightly more than the ones on my Ed Brown Special Forces.

I also had to cancel a Custom Shop Custom Carry earlier this year due to health problems. Thankfully, I'm better now. But, I'm still wanting another Custom Springer...

I could get a Pro next year and not have to wait, but I prefer bull barrels over bushing barrels. Add, the bushing on the pros are pretty tight in the beginning. I also don't like the silver rings around the tritium....
I think Dave (drc767) is set up to take credit cards and is now a SA dealer. Shoot him a PM and see what he can do for you. You won't meet a better guy in general and a very knowledgable dealer who will go the extra mile to make you happy about your new gun. Several of us on here have bought guns from him and all have given rave reviews.

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 10:21
I think Dave is a d-bag....but I will probably still buy my next gun from him. :tongueout:

lawdog734
12-09-2010, 10:27
I think Dave is a d-bag....but I will probably still buy my next gun from him. :tongueout:

I don't think he sells to your kind....

Quack
12-09-2010, 10:29

would that be a 71%-er? :rofl:

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 10:38
Still kind of hazy on the whole "suddenly Hokie is gay" tangent that has started. :headscratch:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 10:59
I think Dave (drc767) is set up to take credit cards and is now a SA dealer. Shoot him a PM and see what he can do for you. You won't meet a better guy in general and a very knowledgable dealer who will go the extra mile to make you happy about your new gun. Several of us on here have bought guns from him and all have given rave reviews.

Does he have a website, or what's the name of his business? I don't recognize the screen name off hand... But, I also have a bad memory.

Thanks for the tip, though...

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 11:01

Well, this will likely be my last high end 1911. I was originally planning to get a 5" Kobra, but I honestly prefer the feel of the Custom Springer when it sits in my hands. I have a month or two to decide, but will have to make my decision by the time the newest batch of TRP Operators get done.

I was going to be content with that, but I really don't want adjustable sights.... I'd have to sell my HK P2000 with 6 mags and a Comptac holster to help fund it. I'll probably make 1 or two more range trips with my current one and then decide... But, I think I already know what I'm going to decide to do :supergrin::supergrin:

Quack
12-09-2010, 11:04
Does he have a website, or what's the name of his business? I don't recognize the screen name off hand... But, I also have a bad memory.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=89625

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 11:19
http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=89625

Ok, I'll try to pay attention to his posts and maybe contact him. I want to make sure he has a store front or something.

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 11:44
Ok, I'll try to pay attention to his posts and maybe contact him. I want to make sure he has a store front or something.

He frequently posts stuff for sale in the Firearms Listings forum. All kidding aside, he is a great guy that really knows his stuff, can get REALLY good prices on REALLY good guns. Buy with confidence.

glock2740
12-09-2010, 11:52

I don't think he has a website. Just look through the 1911 part of this forum. He's got 1000+ posts and many threads. Just send a PM to drc767. There's quite a few quys on here who have bought guns from him and will vouch for the quality dealings that they've had. Hell, half the people who have posted in this thread have bought a gun from him. :wavey:

lawdog734
12-09-2010, 11:56

I bought my no name from him. He called me several times to talk about what I wanted. He ships very fast. I recently ordered an extra set of grips for the no name. I have him checking on a Springfield compact custom built with pro specs.

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 11:57
Hell, half the people who have posted in this thread have bought a gun from him and will buy more, or will buy one from him if they haven't yet. :wavey:

There... fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 11:59
...and the best part is that his wife will put 500 rounds through your gun to break it in and make sure there are no reliability issues...or maybe that's just Joe's guns. :dunno:

glock2740
12-09-2010, 11:59
I've bought a GC No Name, Wilson CQB, Les Baer TRS and have a Wilson ULC Compact on order through him as we speak. And am debating on a SA Custom Carry.

glock2740
12-09-2010, 12:01
...and the best part is that his wife will put 500 rounds through your gun to break it in and make sure there are no reliability issues...or maybe that's just Joe's guns. :dunno:
Yeah, he'll even get his wife to do some limp wrist break in shooting for you if need be. Now that's quality customer service. :rofl:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 12:03
I bought my no name from him. He called me several times to talk about what I wanted. He ships very fast. I recently ordered an extra set of grips for the no name. I have him checking on a Springfield compact custom built with pro specs.

Ok, thanks for the info, guys!

Glockdude1
12-09-2010, 12:18

:agree:

bac1023
12-09-2010, 12:25

:rofl:

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 12:28

You mean guys with no job and no money? :rofl:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 13:16
I guess I am one of the few railed 1911 fans here...

I personally like the extra weight for recoil reduction - and my fav is just the full railed operator. I have looked at the fill dustcovered Monolith and the Guncrafter gun. But, the Operator is my fav, and has the bull barrel I prefer (my CS Operator is still VERY, VERY tight - but with no bushing, disassembly is a breeze :) ).

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 13:19
My next 1911 will be a 5" Kobra....with a rail. :supergrin:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 13:42
My next 1911 will be a 5" Kobra....with a rail. :supergrin:

That was what I was going to do too, until I took my Springer out 2x in a few days :)

I actually haven't shot it much. I finally just passed 1100 rounds with it. I'll probably shoot it more in the next few months.

It came with a 9 lb spring. Dave Williams told me to shoot it a lot and break it in, and then try to up the spring weight. I believe that 14lbs is the stock 9mm weight. I tried a 12 lb around the 600 mark, but it didn't work. So, I went back to the factory weight. This past weekend, I tried a new 10lb spring, and it has worked perfectly for 300 rounds. I'll shoot another 400-500 rounds and then bump it to an 11 lb I think. The slide is still incredibly tight. Unless ya drop the slide with the slide release (or the slide closes when shooting), the slide doesn't close completely without being pushed from the rear for the last 1/8 of an inch.

Very tight but reliable gun :)

Wade-19
12-09-2010, 13:49
He frequently posts stuff for sale in the Firearms Listings forum. All kidding aside, he is a great guy that really knows his stuff, can get REALLY good prices on REALLY good guns. Buy with confidence.

This ^ I saw an EMP he had for a great price, but it was marked sold when I saw it :crying:

Wade-19
12-09-2010, 13:52

I personally like the extra weight for recoil reduction - and my fav is just the full railed operator. I have looked at the fill dustcovered Monolith and the Guncrafter gun. But, the Operator is my fav, and has the bull barrel I prefer (my CS Operator is still VERY, VERY tight - but with no bushing, disassembly is a breeze :) ).

I love the looks of your full railed 9mm. !!

Quack
12-09-2010, 13:58

i like the railed guns too, just not the TRP Op.

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 14:07
Yeah, I definitely want a railed 5" for the house next. Want to get a Kobra with the matching specs to my Kobra Carry, but I'm not sure about the rail. The factory Brown rail looks like of like a clunky add-on to me, so I am thinking having a Dawson Rail put on for a Surefire X300. Keeps the lines of the front end intact much better.

Quack
12-09-2010, 14:13
pic for thought.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/gregshin/Ed%20Brown/IMG_0708.jpg

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 14:26
I admittedly think that the Special Forces looks better railed than the Kobra - Not sure why... I guess it's because of the slide serrations. But, after selling my Mc Operator, I noticed the extra recoil on my non railed Brown Special Forces....

BlayGlock
12-09-2010, 14:28
I think Dave (drc767) is set up to take credit cards and is now a SA dealer. Shoot him a PM and see what he can do for you. You won't meet a better guy in general and a very knowledgable dealer who will go the extra mile to make you happy about your new gun.

Ill second that!!

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 14:31
pic for thought.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/gregshin/Ed%20Brown/IMG_0708.jpg

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The Brown rail just doesn't flow with the frame. Like I said, looks like a clunky add-on. I really like the Dawson because it keeps the original lines of the frame and is a minimal addition, yet just as functional.

Quack
12-09-2010, 14:39
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/1911alienstormpics002-1.jpg

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 14:56
Well, I will admit that the rails on the Brown and on Nighthawks do not look as good as rails on other guns.

To me, the colt rail gun is hideous - especially with the way they put the writing on the side of the slide.

Tactical black
12-09-2010, 17:11
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/1911alienstormpics002-1.jpg

That is about the best looking rail for a 1911.

Quack
12-09-2010, 17:24
it's a Dawson.

drc767
12-09-2010, 17:44
Did somebody mention the Springfield Custom Shop and Railed Operators???

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/SAPro004-1.jpg

woodrowNC
12-09-2010, 17:45

cool. wish i'd known that. can he get good prices for lowenders like me? :supergrin:

drc767
12-09-2010, 17:57
I don't think he has a website. Just look through the 1911 part of this forum. He's got 1000+ posts and many threads. Just send a PM to drc767. There's quite a few quys on here who have bought guns from him and will vouch for the quality dealings that they've had. Hell, half the people who have posted in this thread have bought a gun from him. :wavey:

I do have a website, but it is not up to date. Every time I get a new 1911 in inventory, you buy it before I can take pictures and post it.....:)

glock2740
12-09-2010, 18:01
I do have a website, but it is not up to date. Every time I get a new 1911 in inventory, you buy it before I can take pictures and post it.....:)
Well, then quit getting nice 1911's in. Please! :rofl:

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 18:13
Hey Dave, that Operator is HAWT. Is that an older one without the FCS? Just looking at SA's site and all 3 listed have them. Boooo.

Quack
12-09-2010, 18:17
Hey Dave, that Operator is HAWT. Is that an older one without the FCS? Just looking at SA's site and all 3 listed have them. Boooo.

He bought the Professional Operator from the place he bought his Pro.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1099073438_RFwCB-L.jpg

Hokie1911
12-09-2010, 18:19
He bought the Professional Operator from the place he bought his Pro.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1099073438_RFwCB-L.jpg

Ahhhhh ok. So it's a CS gun. Gotcha. That is a really good looking gun. I like that a lot.

Quack
12-09-2010, 18:20
yeppers...

Tactical black
12-09-2010, 19:50
Did somebody mention the Springfield Custom Shop and Railed Operators???

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/SAPro004-1.jpg

I went back to Shooters yesterday and they had no Pro's instock :cool:

drc767
12-09-2010, 19:52
I went back to Shooters yesterday and they had no Pro's instock :cool:

......Imagine that. :)

chrisman17
12-09-2010, 19:52

The only thing I can add to this conversation is the misconception that george doesn't take credit cards. Unfortunately for me he definitely takes credit cards +3%. :supergrin:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 20:29
He must have started that since my last dealing with him. He didn't take it at the time. Since then, I had heard he had lost his day job and had plans to expand his gun business. I guess he did and now takes credit cards. Thanks for the info!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
12-09-2010, 20:30

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Tactical black
12-09-2010, 20:57
......Imagine that. :)

I guess those two were destined to be together. Were they pretty fair on the price?

drc767
12-10-2010, 11:00
I guess those two were destined to be together. Were they pretty fair on the price?

I guess it depends what your definition of "fair" is.......I did ok. Not great, but ok......At least they were well below what the new listed retail price is. I have not shot the Operator yet....I am, however, shooting the crap out of the Professional. Another 200 rounds through it yesterday (and 200 through the RRA that I just got).

Tactical black
12-10-2010, 13:26
I guess it depends what your definition of "fair" is.......I did ok. Not great, but ok......At least they were well below what the new listed retail price is. I have not shot the Operator yet....I am, however, shooting the crap out of the Professional. Another 200 rounds through it yesterday (and 200 through the RRA that I just got).

I've seen them just about give stuff away sometimes then other times they've been pretty high. So I was just curious what they did on those. They had that pair for a pretty long time.

drc767
12-10-2010, 13:38
I've seen them just about give stuff away sometimes then other times they've been pretty high. So I was just curious what they did on those. They had that pair for a pretty long time.

The Railed Pro (Operator), has a date of last December on the certificate. I was kind of shocked at that. I think the standard Pro was dated April 2010 or something.

Tactical black
12-10-2010, 13:43
The Railed Pro (Operator), has a date of last December on the certificate. I was kind of shocked at that. I think the standard Pro was dated April 2010 or something.

Yeah they just sold a Wilson CQB they had since last winter. For some reason they don't sell a lot of higher end 1911's. They do sell a ton of Kimbers and STI's.