Finally got to handle a SA Range Officer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to handle a SA Range Officer

bac1023
12-09-2010, 20:23
...and I'm impressed.

Its definitely fitted more like a TRP and less like a Loaded. Obviously, I don't own one and haven't shot one, but at $700, they seem like a real nice value.

Its much nicer than a Loaded, in my opinion, and for less money.

Just my two cents. :)

Handle one and I think you'll agree.

thecableguy
12-09-2010, 20:31
...and I'm impressed.

Its definitely fitted more like a TRP and less like a Loaded. Obviously, I don't own one and haven't shot one YET, but at $700, they seem like a real nice value.

Its much nicer than a Loaded, in my opinion, and for less money.

Just my two cents. :)

Handle one and I think you'll agree.

Fixed it for you. :supergrin:
I have been looking around the LGS and no one has one yet in stock. I am really looking forward to handling one myself.

Quack
12-09-2010, 20:33
i told you so :animlol:

glock2740
12-09-2010, 21:04
Fixed it for you. :supergrin:

:rofl:

bac1023
12-09-2010, 21:05
i told you so :animlol:

You sure did. :wavey:

:cool:

tx787
12-09-2010, 21:27
Thanks for the initial impressions. I may get one if I encouter one locally. I haven't liked any of the Springfields before seeing this model's specs and aesthetics.

Big_Grumpy
12-10-2010, 08:59
I think this may be "the one" for me. I handled a stainless Mil-Spec and fell in love, and though Springfield doesn't offer the RO in stainless, if the build quality is the same or better, I will PROOBABLY pull the trigger. I have no problem with a parked finish. I also handled a Remington R1 at the same time. I'm no expert by any means, but the Mil-Spec seemed like a much nicer weapon to me.

My problem is I'm having trouble finding the RO ~$700 OTD. The best I've come up with so far is ~$750 shipped.

Jitterbug
12-10-2010, 09:55
I've been going back and forth between the R.O. and a Colt Combat Elite.

I had the opportunity to handle a R.O. yesterday, fit and function from what I could tell, (no expert) appeared very nice.

Trigger, had a very slight amount of creep, then an excellent, very, very light break, I'm guessing at under 4 pounds, just the way I like it. I'm "thinking" the initial creep may disappear with some usage?

Thumb safety, just didn't feel right. It didn't give me the resounding "snick" that my Kimber and Dan Wesson give, more so going to the safe position, although this probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, despite this I was impressed with the gun. The adjustable sights are a plus for me.

My local dealer wanted $881 after tax out the door and wouldn't budge on price. Best I can do online is $764 after FFL and shipping.

I'm hoping to "handle" a CE today and might spring the $971 for the out the price for it at a different local dealer. Best online deal I can find this morning is $954. I do want a Colt and if the gun "feels" better I just might do it.

I can't afford either and the wife will probably shoot me with it if I purchase...but I don't care. I have a Kimber Compact that has a similar look and coloration as the CE, so she might not even notice the difference when we go shooting on Sunday, I'll just warn my shooting buds not to say anything about the new gun.

It's her birthday next week, I suppose I could tell her I got it for her if she finds out?

Hokie1911
12-10-2010, 10:30
As previously (and frequently) mentioned...it's easier to ask for forgiveness after than to ask for permission before.

Besides, I've already got 3 kids anyway so I had no problem when Mrs Hokie took my nuts. :supergrin:

Big_Grumpy
12-10-2010, 10:47
:scared:As previously (and frequently) mentioned...it's easier to ask for forgiveness after than to ask for permission before.

Besides, I've already got 3 kids anyway so I had no problem when Mrs Hokie took my nuts. :supergrin:

:supergrin: Very true! Actually my GF ran that one by me too... and she's waiting to pounce on me because she can see me sweating... LOL

Must... control... urges... but Santa said I was good!:tempted:

Kinny
12-10-2010, 11:27
What? No pics on the carpet? LOL.. I think those are cool, but not a big fan of adjustable target sights. Congrats either way. :supergrin:

Shortimer
12-10-2010, 12:08
I got one on Monday and got to the range with it on Wednesday. I am very happy with it & think that its one of the best bangs for you buck out there. It is very accurate.

Big_Grumpy
12-10-2010, 12:59
Well... Grampy always used to say "***** or get off the pot!"

Ordered. Merry Christmas to me! :supergrin:

bac1023
12-10-2010, 18:32
My problem is I'm having trouble finding the RO ~$700 OTD. The best I've come up with so far is ~$750 shipped.

This one wasn't $700 OTD. It was $709 plus taxes and fees, I believe.

Nickpisp
12-10-2010, 19:17

That's pretty good. Mine was $720 shipped and that's the best I've seen.

Big_Grumpy
12-10-2010, 19:28
This one wasn't $700 OTD. It was $709 plus taxes and fees, I believe.

That's a good deal near as I can tell too. I ordered mine for $750 shipped. Someone posted $681, but they must have super ninja-tacticool pricing abilities... :supergrin:

Quack
12-10-2010, 19:39
the shop i stopped by today had them for $729.

Shortimer
12-10-2010, 20:30
$720.00 out the door

bac1023
12-10-2010, 20:36
$720.00 out the door

Great price.

dgbee456
12-10-2010, 21:26
Would it be possible to put night sights on there?

Hokie1911
12-10-2010, 21:32
Would it be possible to put night sights on there?

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products/134-hd-001-t1-extreme-service-rear-sight.aspx
http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products/135-hd-001-t2-extreme-service-rear-sight.aspx

http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/images/thumbs/0000273_300.jpeg

Big_Grumpy
12-10-2010, 21:51
If anything, I'd like to maybe fit a fiber or a tritium up front, but I'd leave the rear.

Gdirty5
12-10-2010, 23:11
Yall are making me want a ro. I already have a loaded champ and trp though...

Nickpisp
12-10-2010, 23:39
Yall are making me want a ro. I already have a loaded champ and trp though...

Go ahead and get it. I have all three and they get along great.:rofl:

BEER
12-11-2010, 08:02
it's settled, the range officer is going to be my after christmas financial recuperation celebration present to myself. (say that 5x's fast) lol

it might even turn into the base gun for my first all out custom.

Jitterbug
12-11-2010, 08:38
Yesterday I had 10 crisp new $100 bills in my pocket, and I "fondled" the Colt CE, fondled is a better word then inspect or check out since I consider myself to still be a 1911 Noob. The Colt seems like a nice gun, but it just didn't inspire me enough to part with Ben...money's tight at the moment.

As much as I want a full sized, steel, 1911 .45acp, I decided to put this purchase on hold. Instead, I purchased a Burris P.E.P.R mount ...for the wife's M4forgery. She needs to learn some bench resting skills and its part of her upcoming birthday/Christmas present.

I'm torn between the two pistols...but the R.O. is pretty sweet for $764 on the internet, and of course prices may do something different after the Holiday. If anything the Colt seems to have gone up by a $100 in the past couple of weeks.

I hope Springfield adds the R.O. to it's still stable rather then just a "limited run"

Beer, I like your logic...I may need to consider the same, sound, financial reasoning.

kgain673
12-11-2010, 08:38
As previously (and frequently) mentioned...it's easier to ask for forgiveness after than to ask for permission before.

Hummmmmm, you guys are giving me ideas, or may get me a divorce!

okie
12-11-2010, 08:43
I wish I had the bread to buy one:sadangel:

Quack
12-11-2010, 08:45
Yesterday I had 10 crisp new $100 bills in my pocket, and I "fondled" the Colt CE, fondled is a better word then inspect or check out since I consider myself to still be a 1911 Noob. The Colt seems like a nice gun, but it just didn't inspire me enough to part with Ben...money's tight at the moment.

As much as I want a full sized, steel, 1911 .45acp, I decided to put this purchase on hold. Instead, I purchased a Burris P.E.P.R mount ...for the wife's M4forgery. She needs to learn some bench resting skills and its part of her upcoming birthday/Christmas present.

I'm torn between the two pistols...but the R.O. is pretty sweet for $764 on the internet, and of course prices may do something different after the Holiday. If anything the Colt seems to have gone up by a $100 in the past couple of weeks.

I hope Springfield adds the R.O. to it's still stable rather then just a "limited run"

Beer, I like your logic...I may need to consider the same, sound, financial reasoning.

It's not a limited gun. Just has the "1 of 500" gimmick on the first run.
If it was limited, I doubt Springfield wouldn't it to their website or Advertise as much.
You didn't see the same advertising with the Camp Perry models, which were limited to 500

Quack
12-11-2010, 08:46
Hummmmmm, you guys are giving me ideas, or may get me a divorce!

It wasn't me...

bac1023
12-11-2010, 18:30

:rofl:

knedrgr
12-13-2010, 21:21
Quack and I handled some SA RO this weekend's gunshow, and it was pretty darn nice. The frame/slide was butter! No play nor wiggle. The barrel was pretty tight to the bushing, and locked up nicely. Didn't really get to see how tight the bushing was to slide. Trigger felt nice too.

Would consider it, but that darn target sight... :faint:

Jitterbug
12-14-2010, 08:13
Last night wife and we're watching "Pawn Shop" where a guy brought in a older Remington revolver worth up $30,000.

I told the wife that Colt's where like that...if we bought the Combat Elite it would appreciate rather then loose value. I told they've already gone up about $100 in the past 30-45 days, which is true, and no doubt do to availability.

The R.O. is nice too, and it's my #2 choice for the moment.

bac1023
12-14-2010, 09:17
Last night wife and we're watching "Pawn Shop" where a guy brought in a older Remington revolver worth up $30,000.

I told the wife that Colt's where like that...if we bought the Combat Elite it would appreciate rather then loose value. I told they've already gone up about $100 in the past 30-45 days, which is true, and no doubt do to availability.

The R.O. is nice too, and it's my #2 choice for the moment.

Unfortunately, Springfields don't appreciate like Colts do.

I do like Springfields better for the most part.

Quack
12-14-2010, 09:20
my Trophy Match appreciated by $200 from when i bought it to when i sold it :animlol:

Jitterbug
12-14-2010, 15:12
I haven't made a decision yet...especially if I have to come up with the coin.

I was just letting the wife know what and where...hint, hint for Xmass.

She just doesn't know what to get me...

If there's a box with Colt on it under the tree I'll be smiling...