New to me, used G17 questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to me, used G17 questions

jlb27537
12-10-2010, 07:23
Hello, I recently bought a Gen 3 G17. Fired brass date 9/2009. Previous original owner thinks about 500 rounds shot.

Outside is in new condition, inside looked like it was cleaned when new, IE: no Glock anti-seize, then shot and never cleaned. Slide and rails "looked" dry when I removed slide. Barrel has a very slight rub mark on the square part, right side. Locking block has some shiny spots.

When I started cleaning the slide, I noticed very tiny sliver flakes, smaller than salt grains, in the grooves of the slide. Probably the plating on the slide guide pieces. I could see no peeling of the plating on the guides.

The plastic grip part had quite a bit of power residue and I decided to use Simple Green, very hot water and a tooth brush on it.. Came out great.

QUESTION: Is this normal break in wear, or could this gun have 1,000's of rounds, not 500? ( I can post a pic if needed )

I have a Lone Wolf 3.5lb connector to install in it. I have found a U-Tube video on how to install it. Before I install it, I want to be able to watch the movement of the trigger parts. I am pretty handy and want to understand the mechanical operation of the trigger.

QUESTION: How do I "cock" the trigger mechanism with the slide off, to watch the difference between the stock connector and the LW 3.5lb connector? Maybe a video link.

Thanks for any replies,
Jim

JR
12-14-2010, 16:59
The flaking is normal and common with most Glock pistols during break in periods. Don’t worry about it. You will be able to see excessive wear in the parts should any develop.

LWD just purchased $6K in video editing equipment. We plan to start releasing instillation videos from our web site very soon. You will be impressed!