custom Delta Elite or Fusion 10mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : custom Delta Elite or Fusion 10mm?

Mountain10mm
12-11-2010, 13:00
I had a foray with a Dan Wesson 10mm CBOB and had nothing but problems with it. The slide froze to the frame after the third shot...after a trip to DW and several attempts at pardoning the gun, I happily sold it at a significant loss. My first attempt at a 10mm in a 1911 was sour to say the least.

I'm thinking about it again, but don't want to look back and say I should have known better than to do it again.

I like to shoot real 10mm's not CCI blazers or Remington's UMC stuff, but Buffalo Bore and similar reloads. Can the newer Colt Delta Elites handle full power ammo? I would like adjustable sights, match barrel, ambidextrous safety, some checkering, and a GARAUNTEE to work.

Gentlemen help me out here. Any approach I take will cost a few buck$, should I get a Colt Delta Elite and send it back to Colt's custom shop for my accoutrements, or have a custom Fusion made? Price will probably be within $200 or so dollars of each other once all is said and done. Fusion is run by a former DW employee (maybe he was even the owner), so Iím a little nervous about Fusionís quality and reliability after my Dan Wesson experience. Kimber might be an option, but for some reason, they seem like the Fordís of the 1911 world Ė everywhere and not of the utmost quality. (Iím not trying to offend Ford owners, they just have a sales by volume approach, different than say Ferrari.) Wilson Combat, and Ed Brown are great (the Bugattiís of the 1911 world), but out of my price range.

How reliable are the DE's and Fusions with full power ammo?

Thanks.

Quack
12-11-2010, 13:30
of the 2, i'd choose the Colt.

Bob Serva used to own Dan Wesson, He sold it to CZ-USA and later he started Fusion.
FWIW, it seems like the DW quality went up after Bob Serva left.
Some are happy with there Fusions, but others had problem guns.

another option that you may want to look at is the Springfield Custom Shop.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Ftr0108/03.jpg

Mountain10mm
12-11-2010, 13:55
Quack,

I will look into Springfield; I didn't know they offered anything in 10mm.

It's also interesting what you said about DW and Fusion. I greatly appreciate the opinion.

Quack
12-11-2010, 13:57
Quack,

It's also interesting what you said about DW and Fusion. I greatly appreciate the opinion.

they don't offer any 10mm as a standard item, but they have made 10mm's in the Custom Shop. The picture that i posted above was a 10mm that they built in i think 2008. they also had the 10mm Omega years ago.

remat
12-11-2010, 16:04
Quack,

Please post what they say, I have been curious if they would build a 10mm (other than the 10mm Blaster which is in the custom shop catalog). Another option is that Wilson will build a fullsize 10mm.

nolt
12-11-2010, 21:17
custom colt!

i would love to have a custom DE.
i have a DW RZ-10 thats been modded up by the SA custom shop but ive always wanted a custom DE as well.

bac1023
12-11-2010, 21:26
Colt over Fusion

MD357
12-11-2010, 21:45
Hi-point over Fusion

:whistling:

thecableguy
12-11-2010, 21:47

:rofl:

Hokie1911
12-11-2010, 21:52

I was thinking Taurus Custom Shop. :rofl:

The parts may fall off, but at least you know what to expect.

thecableguy
12-11-2010, 22:16
I was thinking Taurus Custom Shop. :rofl:

The parts may fall off, but at least you know what to expect.

Yeah but where is the fun in getting exactly what you ordered?

"Fusion is like a box of chocolate you never know what your going to get"--F.G.
Honestly though by looking at TOS the picture that BS post on there are SOME truly nice looking pistols. Sometimes I forget the reputation that they have here and could actually see myself ordering one. The I snap out of it and realize that I am not a gambling man.

Hokie1911
12-11-2010, 22:20
Yeah but where is the fun in getting exactly what you ordered?

"Fusion is like a box of chocolate you never know what your going to get"--F.G.
Honestly though by looking at TOS the picture that BS post on there are SOME truly nice looking pistols. Sometimes I forget the reputation that they have here and could actually see myself ordering one. The I snap out of it and realize that I am not a gambling man.

I came CLOSE to sending in a deposit on a 9mm bobtail. Glad I didn't.

Cerebrus
12-12-2010, 01:01
I would take a peek over at STI myself... before I would even consider Colt or fusion... http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Perfect10/Perfect10.php

nolt
12-12-2010, 11:54
will STI make you a gun without the billboard?

Texas Bulldog
12-12-2010, 12:47
Im very happy with my Fusions.

I have had nothing but great dealings with the company and my 1911's from them have been nothing but amazing.

I do love my Colt Delta though as well as my STI perfect 10. I LOVE 10mm!

thecableguy
12-12-2010, 13:18
Bulldog where in TX are you? I would love to take a look at that Fusion if you are anywhere in the D/FW area.

glock2740
12-12-2010, 13:40
I'd go with a Wilson 10mm or an older stainless Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup Match, if you can find one. They are GREAT guns.

Texas Bulldog
12-12-2010, 16:16
Bulldog where in TX are you? I would love to take a look at that Fusion if you are anywhere in the D/FW area.

San Antonio :wavey:

i may be up visiting family Jan 15th-23rd. I'll find out soon actually and if so i'll be driving and can bring my Fusions for sure :cool:

Mountain10mm
12-12-2010, 20:50
I'd go with a Wilson 10mm or an older stainless Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup Match, if you can find one. They are GREAT guns.

I have seen some older Gold Cups on gunsamerica or gunbroker but wasn't sure as to the quality (of the older models). I know at some point in the Delta Elite's history they had problems with the frame cracking. I have been told it was due to the shape of the slide lock notch. I have no idea if it's true or not, but just hearing of something like that makes me leery of the older models.

Does anyone know what the exact problem and cause of the problem was? Perhaps it's all internet hearsay.

Thanks all for your advice. Greatly appreciated.

MarkCO
12-12-2010, 22:27
Gentlemen help me out here.

Absolute no-brainer. You are in Colorado so call Luke Volkmann and talk to him about building you one: http://www.volkmanncustom.com/

I've handled a few and one of these will be my next 1911. MachineGunTours on West Colfax has one in the case if you want to go fondle one.

Hokie1911
12-12-2010, 22:32
Absolute no-brainer. You are in Colorado so call Luke Volkmann and talk to him about building you one: http://www.volkmanncustom.com/

I've handled a few and one of these will be my next 1911. MachineGunTours on West Colfax has one in the case if you want to go fondle one.

He said Wilson and Brown were out of his price range so as sweet as LV is, I am guessing his stuff is REALLY out of his price range.

MarkCO
12-12-2010, 22:43
He said Wilson and Brown were out of his price range so as sweet as LV is, I am guessing his stuff is REALLY out of his price range.

Probably, but as long as he gets a US made frame, Volkmann will do the custom work on a colt. His custom prices are pretty reasonable.

I guess I should have said "get the Colt and take it to Luke."

Being local gives another $80 or so to play with since no shipping.

Two Guns
12-12-2010, 23:08
I would choose the Colt DE.

Cobra64
12-13-2010, 02:01
Colt over Fusion

Lorcin!

Comedian
12-13-2010, 11:06
My Fusion 9mm was complete garbage! Worst pistol purchase i ever made!

thecableguy
12-13-2010, 19:13
San Antonio :wavey:

i may be up visiting family Jan 15th-23rd. I'll find out soon actually and if so i'll be driving and can bring my Fusions for sure :cool:

Cool let me know. I truly am looking forward to laying my eyes on it.

Texas Bulldog
12-14-2010, 11:23
My Fusion 9mm was complete garbage! Worst pistol purchase i ever made!

Do you have a picture of your gun?

I find a lot of people talk trash and have never even owned one.

HAIL CAESAR
12-14-2010, 13:23
Do you have a picture of your gun?

I find a lot of people talk trash and have never even owned one.

I saw pics of it and it was on Gunbroker.

But... if anyone wants Fusion pics...I got some. :rofl:

(Sorry, Bulldog. I couldn't help myself.):wavey: