Need some feedback on a Springfield Loaded Lightweight Champion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some feedback on a Springfield Loaded Lightweight Champion

kgain673
12-11-2010, 19:50
I found a SA Loaded Lightweight Champion OD green. The price was 850 plus extras. I want to know if this firearm is worth the money, how the recoil is affected by the lighter weight, and what kind of problems owners on here had? I can bring home a SA G.I. Champion for 500 something, which is the same size but heavier and I may not care about the finish getting marred. So my question is price worth the firearm for everyday carry, or should it be a safe queen which should be treated like a expensive watch? I've got some glocks which are the general go carry, but I'm getting the 1911 bug.

Quack
12-11-2010, 20:02
A lighter gun will have a little more felt recoil. The choice is yours. The GI is a bare bones gun while the loaded has extras.

rsxr22
12-11-2010, 21:03
I love the LWC's minus the fact they dont have front strap checkering(main reason i sold my Champion Operator). The finish is pretty strong on the LW's so i wouldnt worry in that category. You will feel a little more recoil because of the alloy frame and the price is ok at best. I got my Champion Operator in 95% shape for $750 OTD

Hokie1911
12-11-2010, 21:08
I think they are pretty nice...minus the OD green which makes me want to :puking:

Gdirty5
12-11-2010, 23:26
bought mine for 650, then again, i think i got a steal.

knedrgr
12-11-2010, 23:33
So my question is price worth the firearm for everyday carry, or should it be a safe queen which should be treated like a expensive watch? I've got some glocks which are the general go carry, but I'm getting the 1911 bug.

For EDC, the lighter frame will be nice. Can't wait until I get to carry my DW CCO which has an alloy frame. Im currently carrying a SA Ultra Compact. It handles nicely, but the DW has a little more kick.

m814
12-12-2010, 13:17
I have one I have been carrying for a couple of years. I did a lot of work to mine, but it is a good pistol. Great carry gun. Don't worry about the aluminum frame wearing out. It won't. The pistol uses a ramped barrel so there is no battering of the feed ramp. It is a significant improvement over the GI for carry. The LLWC has tritium sights, a good dehorn, nice grip safety, and Novak sights(I don't care for Novaks, but most like them). The finish is good enough not to worry about. Mine has been refinished by Springfield and looks beat to hell again, but again, I carry it alot and shoot it ALOT. Mine has close to 4000 rounds through it. I also did a trigger and slide job, beveled the mag well, and changed the grips out to VZ. I love it. It functions flawlessly and shoots great. I also have several Glocks in 9, and 45, along with a Colt Combat Elite. The Springfield is as nice to carry as anything I have ever owned.

thecableguy
12-12-2010, 13:20
m814 I want to see your avatar in full size.:supergrin:

kgain673
12-12-2010, 16:42
M814, you say flawlessly? That's a good sign, did you buy yours new or used? If so what would you call a good deal on one. Also can anyone compare the "perceived" recoil of the the Springfield Champion LW frames to a Glock 23, which I also own and shoot well?

glock2740
12-12-2010, 16:50
...minus the OD green which makes me want to :puking:
Ditto that.

m814
12-12-2010, 17:38
M814, you say flawlessly? That's a good sign, did you buy yours new or used? If so what would you call a good deal on one. Also can anyone compare the "perceived" recoil of the the Springfield Champion LW frames to a Glock 23, which I also own and shoot well?

I bought it new. I only paid 675 OTD, but I got it on sale. A good buy would be about 750. As far as comparing it to a Glock, it is hard to do that. The Glock or any other polymer frame will have a completely different feel in recoil from a steel or aluminum frame pistol. The recoil is not offensive in the least, but it is significant compared to a Glock 30. Just sharper to the web of the hand.

kgain673
12-12-2010, 18:43
I understand that, would you trust your life with this firearm cleaned and greased out of the box?

Quack
12-12-2010, 18:47
I understand that, would you trust your life with this firearm cleaned and greased out of the box?

no. you would have to test it with your carry ammo and since it's a production gun there will probably be an issue.

now if this was an Ed Brown, yes. i actually carried it a few days before i took it to the range :shocked:

m814
12-12-2010, 20:11

No, I don't trust ANY gun right out of the box. Glocks are the only ones that I even consider carrying with less than 500 rounds downrange. These rounds do more than just burn powder. They give you confidence, familiarity, and build muscle memory through repetition of certain little things that are unique to the particular firearm.

My routine is to take the new pistol, disassemble it, clean it, lube it, and inspect every part in it. I am looking for any rough parts that may not be fitting right. If I do find something, I will usually polish any roughness out with a very fine metal polish. All of this does take time, but I can say that the only time I have ever had a weapon malfunction in the many classes and many thousands of rounds fired over the last 18 years was caused by reloaded ammo that was out of spec dimensionally. I think it works.

kgain673
12-13-2010, 18:37
My bad guys, I was not clear in my question " Out of the Box", I should have stated without modifications other then new mags, sights or grips.

Quack
12-13-2010, 18:39

My bad guys, I was not clear in my question " Out of the Box", I should have stated without modifications other then new mags, sights or grips.

still no, because the extractor tension could be wrong and make your gun a single shot, or the feed ramp rough causing feeding problems.

m814
12-15-2010, 13:50
I think I know what you are asking. Basically, "Is this gun capable of being 'duty grade' without a gunsmith's attention and a lot of money?" If that is what you are asking then "Yes." The gun is very capable and there is no need to change the sear, springs, mainspring housing (ILS), barrel, or anything else. Not even sights. The gun is a good package, it just needs to be shot, lubed, and tested for consistency to be reliable. I would suggest inspecting the feed ramp for any sharp or milling points and eliminating those that could cause feed problems. If you don't know how, don't do it. The gun is better not messed with than messed with by someone that does not know what they are doing. SA will address any issue that causes a problem with reliability for free.

Do NOT let someone convince you to send every gun you buy to a gunsmith to be reengineered to make it duty or carry ready. It is no different than a custom truck. You want to buy aftermarket accessories to customize it.

mrsurfboard
12-15-2010, 14:12
Don't worry about the recoil. I have an lightweight Kimber that same size and it handles great.