no firearms signs in Florida [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : no firearms signs in Florida

dvrdwn72
12-11-2010, 20:05
I would like some concrete info on the legality of these signs in florida, in business windows. Thanks

RX7Boricua
12-12-2010, 07:52
Anti-gun signs in FL hold no weight at all. You will not break any laws ignoring them. The main thing to remember is that if they see your gun and ask you to leave, you must do so immediately or you could get in trouble for trespassing. Fortunately however, you're not breaking any laws just because you're carrying concealed where it's posted, unless of course it's one of the prohibited areas listed in the FL statute.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2010, 12:00
yeah thats what I figured, and there is nothing we can do to have these signs removed? Being it is illegal?

racer88
12-12-2010, 15:38
yeah thats what I figured, and there is nothing we can do to have these signs removed? Being it is illegal?

The signs are not illegal. A private business / property owner can post any sign with any rules he wants.

But, the "no guns" signs do not carry the WEIGHT OF LAW. That means they are simply the property owner's own rules. But, those rules are not enforceable laws.

And, has been said, the only thing you MUST do is leave if asked.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2010, 16:25
The signs are not illegal. A private business / property owner can post any sign with any rules he wants.

But, the "no guns" signs do not carry the WEIGHT OF LAW. That means they are simply the property owner's own rules. But, those rules are not enforceable laws.

And, has been said, the only thing you MUST do is leave if asked.True, I should have said non-legal binding or enforceable, instead of illegal.

MarccraM
12-12-2010, 16:28
True, I should have said non-legal binding or enforceable, instead of illegal.

Where are you seeing these in FL?

dvrdwn72
12-12-2010, 16:32
I saw one at toys r us yesterday, and 2 little stores in a strip mall where I live.

expatman
12-12-2010, 16:35
I saw one at toys r us yesterday, and 2 little stores in a strip mall where I live.

Florida is a big state. Do you mind narrowing it down a little? Some of us who also live here may want to know which Toy's "R" Us and which mall.

Thanks.

dvrdwn72
12-12-2010, 16:36
the particular store was in ocala,

emt1581
12-12-2010, 17:02
If FL is anything like PA, and with carrying the two are VERY similar....the signs don't mean anything.

You can put whatever sign you like up and no one needs to abide by it. What it really comes down to is that the business owner/manager/etc. is allowed to ask you to leave their store if you're caught revealing/printing...but really they can do that to anyone for any reason. Then if you refuse to leave they can have you arrested for defiant trespass (at least in PA). Signs or no signs it's the same process.

What those signs are really there for is to sooth all the sheeple into thinking it's a safe place to shop. Kinda like the "Drug-Free School Zone" signs...do you honestly think the drug dealers see them and leave their supply in their car/at home??

Maybe if they put up a "no dying zone" sign...you'll become immortal on their premises!

Life doesn't change because someone posts a sign...well unless the poster has a badge/sworn to uphold the law...

-Emt1581

racer88
12-12-2010, 17:29
I saw this sign here in SE Florida. I like it!
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/Gunwarningsign.jpg

Titegroups
12-12-2010, 17:36
There was an issue here a while back about somebody bringing a gun into a hospital that had posted a no guns sign, I think it had to do with there being a pharmacy within that was part of the issue, don't remember the final result, I believe they guy got arrested, I'm sure someone from FL remembers this incident.

Mr. Blandings
12-12-2010, 18:02
FSS 394.458 prohibits bringing a firearm or other dangerous weapon upon the grounds of any hospital that offers mental health services, except as authorized by law.

Now we all know that hospitals are NOT included in the list of locations where lawful concealed carry is prohibited per FSS 790.06 (12), so it may be (and has been) argued that a person with a valid CCW is authorized by law to carry in such a location. Attorney Jon Gutmacher has successfully defended a client thus charged using just that argument. Unfortunately, the law remains on the books and there is no appellate level decision - so there is nothing to stop future arrests, prosecutions and even conviction if the judge/jury felt differently.

emt1581
12-12-2010, 18:16
FSS 394.458 prohibits bringing a firearm or other dangerous weapon upon the grounds of any hospital that offers mental health services, except as authorized by law.

Now we all know that hospitals are NOT included in the list of locations where lawful concealed carry is prohibited per FSS 790.06 (12), so it may be (and has been) argued that a person with a valid CCW is authorized by law to carry in such a location. Attorney Jon Gutmacher has successfully defended a client thus charged using just that argument. Unfortunately, the law remains on the books and there is no appellate level decision - so there is nothing to stop future arrests, prosecutions and even conviction if the judge/jury felt differently.

Sounds like in FL, EMT's aren't allowed to carry...did not know that!

-Emt1581

Titegroups
12-12-2010, 18:49
Always some gray areas.

dherloc
12-12-2010, 20:24
I carried at Toys-R-Us in the Brandon area Saturday night. No issue. No sign that I noticed either.

matt c
12-14-2010, 08:22
signs will be found at jewelers, random stores, gun shops. I ignore them. My pistol is concealed and will not be spotted. I ride my Harley for the most part when off work. I have no place to put it, so I wear it right on in. If I were to need to go someplace that is illegal to carry when off work(courthouse, whatever), I drive my car. Should I ever get spotted(has not happened) I'll leave when asked. No big deal and no laws are being broken. If I happen to be in my car and stopping at a gun shop, I will be respectful to them and take off the pistol.

merriar
11-26-2011, 17:28
I live in Central FL and wanted to buy a metal detector for my wife. A large nationwide destributor is in a nearby town so we went there. On their front door was a sign stating no guns or knives allowed in the store. I usually do not patronize a store with this kind of attitude but decided to put my G19 back in my truck. We knew nothing about what to purchase so my intent was to pick their brain and purchase elsewhere from the internet. I immediately voiced my objection to the sign and they just srugged me off. Anyway because of the availability I ended up spending almost $900 there against my principle. My wife who also has a CW permit knew how I felt. The name of the store is:

Kellyco Metal Detector Superstore - 1085 Belle Ave. Winter Springs, Florida,32708.

I knew they probably could detect if I had a firearm on me being a metal detector store and I thought any sign like that was legit. I now know that the sign was not legal and unless asked to leave I was OK.

I still try and not patronize any company that feels this way about legal CW firearms. Althought the company is a major shaker in the industry and a major internet retailer, I suggest that if you are interested in the hobby of metal detecting that you keep this companys policy in mind and purchase elsewhere!

emt1581
11-26-2011, 18:11
I live in Central FL and wanted to buy a metal detector for my wife. A large nationwide destributor is in a nearby town so we went there. On their front door was a sign stating no guns or knives allowed in the store. I usually do not patronize a store with this kind of attitude but decided to put my G19 back in my truck. We knew nothing about what to purchase so my intent was to pick their brain and purchase elsewhere from the internet. I immediately voiced my objection to the sign and they just srugged me off. Anyway because of the availability I ended up spending almost $900 there against my principle. My wife who also has a CW permit knew how I felt. The name of the store is:

Kellyco Metal Detector Superstore - 1085 Belle Ave. Winter Springs, Florida,32708.

I knew they probably could detect if I had a firearm on me being a metal detector store and I thought any sign like that was legit. I now know that the sign was not legal and unless asked to leave I was OK.

I still try and not patronize any company that feels this way about legal CW firearms. Althought the company is a major shaker in the industry and a major internet retailer, I suggest that if you are interested in the hobby of metal detecting that you keep this companys policy in mind and purchase elsewhere!

This is a REALLY specific circumstance but I would have had some fun with this shop. You want to be anti-gun AND try to enforce it through your equipment without being government or LE... good luck. I'm not sure what'd screw with the equipment at the door whether it be a portable electro-magnet or what but I'd find out.

I know the feeling though...not with guns mind you but with needing a business who's service or attitude sucks big time. This is also usually why a business can survive with such a horrible disposition, because people NEED them.

-Emt1581

Misty02
11-26-2011, 18:58
I carried at Toys-R-Us in the Brandon area Saturday night. No issue. No sign that I noticed either.

Toys R Us is not a carry friendly place. Try buying a regular toy gun there, you won’t find one unless it is a water gun or a nerf gun. They won’t sell anything that resembles a real firearm. If you look carefully enough odds are high you’ll find the sign, if in doubt, contact their corporate headquarters and they’ll reaffirm their position.

RX7Boricua
11-27-2011, 00:28
There's a No Weapons sign on the front door of American Signature Furniture in Daytona Beach. I remember chuckling as I walked through the door with my 36 on me under an untucked Tshirt. The sign says something to the effect of: "We provide a safe environment for our customers, no concealed weapons are allowed." After seeing the sign, I told my wife that we would not be buying from them, but that it didn't hurt to look around and get ideas.

I also carry regularly into the Babies 'R' Us near me. What they don't know won't hurt them.

Jose

Bodyarmorguy
11-27-2011, 00:46

That is where it can get a little tricky. Here in Brevard County (FL) Wuestoff Hospitals has two locations, one in Rockledge and one in Melbourne. The Rockledge location is a receiving facility for Baker Act (puzzle factory) patients while the Melbourne one is not.