Light Primer Hits = Misfires... Need Solution [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Light Primer Hits = Misfires... Need Solution

TedG
12-11-2010, 21:16
I had a few rounds that failed to fire today. There were indents where the primer was struck, but obviously not hard enough. After being ejected, I reloaded them in to the magazine and they fired. This happened 3 separate times with many "good" firings in between. The firing pin spring is a standard LWD. All of the ignition parts are stock parts.

Has anyone experienced this? Did you solve the problem?

Thanks.

JR
12-13-2010, 19:47
Sounds like you are shooting reloads. If so, its my guess you have a swelled case issue. Its easy to tell, look for an off center primer strike.
This tells you the barrel is out of battery because the swelled cartridge (head) is holding the barrel away from the slide. The second time you run it through the gun the cartridge makes it completely into the chamber and fires.

TedG
12-13-2010, 20:10
Thanks, but I was shooting American Eagle factory loads. I haven't had a problem with that brand in my G17 or G26. I was starting to think that the G17 recoil spring wasn't strong enough and the slide may have been slightly out of battery. At the range, I simply slapped the mag base and racked the slide.

JR
12-13-2010, 20:17
Make sure the barrel & slide are properly lubed. Shoot a mag or so of the hottest ammo you can find and then go back to the AE loads. If they run, great. If not.... consider shooting another brand of 115 gr ammo or jump up to 124 or 147 weights. The 124 & 147 are the most reliable.