Found my dream shotgun today, Winchester 1300 Defender. A hidden treasure. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Found my dream shotgun today, Winchester 1300 Defender. A hidden treasure.

granitemonkey
12-12-2010, 19:12
I found one of my dream shotguns today at my local gunshop's used long gun section. Winchester 1300 Defender, Walnut Stock and blued steel. This thing is in almost mint condition, the mag tube and slide bars show almost no wear. It just looks like someone racked it a few times when they bought it, and put it in a closet. Ive wanted one of these so bad for awhile and I just stumbled across this treasure.

It locks up nice and tight, not loose as hell as some of the other used shotguns. Trigger is nice and crisp, it hasnt hardly been shot. Ive already got two 870p's and a Mossberg, But it doesnt hurt to have one more pump shotgun. Especially at the price Im getting it for. Here's a stock picture of what the one Im getting looks like.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/granitemonkeyownz/500px-WinchesterModel1300Defender.jpg

Any other Defender owners here? How do you like them? I believe I got really lucky today.

leathermarshmallow
12-12-2010, 20:16
I have one with the black stock and fiber optic sight. It is great! I keep it loaded and ready to be used to take care of social problems that may arise at my house.

Mr Wasabi
12-13-2010, 06:16
Nice find. Picked up one myself last week. Walnut/blue in excellent condition for a great deal. I also have an 870P (walnut/parkerized) but am loving this Defender 1300 more and more. Very smooth action and I like the one piece extension.

K.Kiser
12-13-2010, 12:45
I've had a synthetic Defender for about 9 years, and I really love this piece with no complaints... I was raised up with many 870's that I still have, but the Defender gives up nothing to the legendary 870 which undisputed as great weapon... Don't give a second thought to how many times it has or hasn't been fired, it don't matter... I've put hundreds upon hundreds of every ammo imaginable through mine and it still looks and operates like it did after the first box... I let a friend take it out one weekend, and he put 300+ shells through it and I didn't mind at all, it just doesn't affect a quality shotgun... I wish I could find another one like yours for a decent price, I'd buy it without hesitation...

Eyescream
12-13-2010, 13:30
The Winchester 1200/1300 series shotguns are really excellent.

I have an old 1200 Defender and love it to death.

Restless28
12-13-2010, 15:21
I love my 1300 Defender. Mine was a patrol car rack queen, and the wood is sun bleached and it has rack scars, but it looks new inside, and functions great.

Truckee
12-19-2010, 13:18
Second time looking at this tread. So, thought I'd bore y'all.

One afternoon about 20 years ago, an acquaintance and I crossed paths. A few days earlier, he had picked up a 1300 Defender for his son. This day he is in need of funds. He wants $200, I have $130 in my pocket. His son loses out.

The 1300 had been racked but, not shot. I slipped it into a gun sock and hung it on the wall for a few years. Now it lives in the safe.

Still never shot... I know, shame on me! However and to my defense, I started hunting on the 870 in my teens. Then I moved on to issued 870s. So, the Winchester just stayed put.

Today, she is still mint and looks just like the picture granitemonkey posted. I recall the day I bought it, the smoothness of the slide and lock-up demanded immediate notice. I still pull it out every now and then for a coat of oil... and I just have to rack the slide, it calls to me.

I should shoot this nice SG. But, it's been so long now, for some reason I can't bring myself to do it.

K.Kiser
12-19-2010, 17:37
Truckee, wanna sell it..?

Truckee
12-19-2010, 20:28
Truckee, wanna sell it..?
Thanks for the nice offer... I haven't given selling it any thought. Wouldn't even know what it's worth.

If I do, you're first on the list.

Thanks,
Truck

K.Kiser
12-20-2010, 17:12
10-4 on that, I could put it beside my other lonely 1300... They could be like best Buds, almost like little Timmy and Lassie...

Mr Wasabi
12-21-2010, 08:23
Truckee,

I'd be interested in it as well if K.Kiser doesn't want it. Let me know.

stengun
12-21-2010, 11:17
Howdy,

I have a Win 1300 Defender just like the one in the pic.

I've had it since '93 and I have fired 1,000's of rounds through it including +500 rds of BS and +100 slugs and it is still very tight.

I did have the barrel threaded for a RemChoke and this made the shotgun a lot more versatile.

Paul

P.S. It's not for sell.

ruralpatrol
12-26-2010, 23:29
Had one as an issued gun several years ago, when my agency replaced them I was the last to let mine go! A really fine shotgun. I really liked it.

vista461
12-29-2010, 01:11
Had mine since about 1995, bought it at walmart for $199. It has a Hogue overmolded stock set on it now and I gave the original wood to a friend for his.

locknload223
12-30-2010, 14:20
Nice find! These Winchesters have the smoothest actions hands down and the controls are right where they should be. In '85 or '86 I bought a Winchester Ranger 120, basically the same as a 1200 except for the standard mag and what felt like a four foot barrel (28").

Shortly after I bought it I cut the barrell down and added a Choate stock set and mag extension. You can tell I've puts a ton of shells through it, look at the wear on the slide bars. No problems at all. I love it.

My first love,
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/locknload223/shottys004.jpg

Aceman
12-30-2010, 20:10
That gun does indeed have it's fans. And much like the 870/500 - not are darn thing wrong with them. Fine fine gun.