Which one... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which one...

Soviet937
12-12-2010, 22:02
Hi everyone.

Im here to tell that I will be broadening my horizons within the handgun world soon here. i already own a G19 and wish very much so to get a 1911, already have 800 saved for it so far. so... my next question is, which one (as in brand) would better serve me as a reliable, WROL, SHTF type?, My top picks right now, are maybe springfield operator, maybe a kimber tactical entry II, but more so id like an authentic throwback to the M1911A1, which seems to me would be the colt government series 70 or 1991. lets just say if I had either one of these three i would not complain in the least bit, i just want a sexy full size quality 1911 to accommodate my glock 19.

thank you very much.

rsxr22
12-12-2010, 22:04
Out of the options you mentioned, i prefer the SA OP over any of the others. Colt makes a great 1911 as well, but they really just dont appeal to me

MarkCO
12-12-2010, 23:05
Try here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269683

There are a bunch of reviews, and photos. Several decent 1911s in the $800 price range. I'd venture to say if it gets a good recomendation in the FAQ, it is probably GTG. Like cars and women, we all have our preferences, so cruise the FAQ and feel free to ask some Qs if you are still unsure.:supergrin:

MajorD
12-13-2010, 11:53
kimbers are hit and miss springfields are made in brazil. I would go colt- I have several Colt I bought (primarily lightly used) off gunbroker for well under 800 bucks and they have all worked fine.

Quack
12-13-2010, 12:04
kimbers are hit and miss springfields are made in brazil. I would go colt- I have several Colt I bought (primarily lightly used) off gunbroker for well under 800 bucks and they have all worked fine.

some Springfields are made in Brazil, though they all start from IMBEL (brazil) forgings.

knedrgr
12-13-2010, 14:11
I would go colt- I have several Colt I bought (primarily lightly used) off gunbroker for well under 800 bucks and they have all worked fine.

And over pay for the name... :dunno:

Nickpisp
12-13-2010, 14:15
And over pay for the name... :dunno:

And still make money when you sell them.......:dunno:

tx787
12-13-2010, 14:35
I really like the 1911 and 9mm Glock combo. All my 1911s are within $100 of that price range, here are my thoughts. Kimber Custom II, best fit and finish of my three, 900 rounds so far with no problems except when using the factory mag (flawless with the Wilson mags). Desert Eagle 1911, a little less refined finish but still an excellent fit, really excellent trigger for the price, feeds JHPs without any issues. Colt Lightweight Government XSE, I wanted a Colt so I could have a Colt, and that's what I got. It has the poorest fit and finish of the three, the trigger and the grip safety both wobble, the trigger isn't as good because it's series 80. It still makes me smile since it's a Colt and I love the Novak sights.

If I could only keep one I'd keep the Kimber, I'm very superficial and it looks and feels great but I wouldn't use it for SHTF, that's what the G17 is for. If I wanted a 1911 for SHTF I'd keep the DE. If I wanted one for carry I'd keep the Colt since it has a lightweight frame.

My second handgun after the G17 was the Kimber, I wanted a sexy 1911 and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I'd do differently is spend the extra $100 for the TLE.

I haven't considered the Springfields since I don't like the fact that they are made in Brazil but the new Range Officer looks tempting, I'd check it out if I was making a purchase.

MD357
12-13-2010, 14:43
Another vote for Colt but I like Springfields aswell. I don't get the overpaying comments, you can "overpay" for just about any 1911 out there. Colt puts out a good, quality product. There's gonna be lemons here and there as with any company, but their specs are better than most.

MarkCO
12-13-2010, 15:12
I just saw this listed: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119099&pid=1347557&st=0&#entry1347557

Mark (not me) is a great guy and this is a great deal. If it does not sell today, I'll probably buy it.

thecableguy
12-13-2010, 15:16
I just saw this listed: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119099&pid=1347557&st=0&#entry1347557

Mark (not me) is a great guy and this is a great deal. If it does not sell today, I'll probably buy it.

Link isn't working for me

MarkCO
12-13-2010, 15:18
Link isn't working for me

Both just worked for me...go to brianEnos.com and search on member mpeltier

knedrgr
12-13-2010, 15:20
And still make money when you sell them.......:dunno:

yeah, to those that doesn't know Colts are overpriced. And they're just paying for the name Colt. :upeyes:

Nickpisp
12-13-2010, 15:38
Another vote for Colt but I like Springfields aswell. I don't get the overpaying comments, you can "overpay" for just about any 1911 out there. Colt puts out a good, quality product. There's gonna be lemons here and there as with any company, but their specs are better than most.

Exactly.

NonPCnraRN
12-13-2010, 17:55
You stated that you liked the GI look in a 1911. The Springfield Milspec resembles a GI except it has better sights, throated and polished chamber, and a flared and lowered ejection port. The main difference in appearance is that the cocking serrations are slanted instead of straight up and down. It is exactly what we used to do to a Colt back in the day to get it to function with ammo other than ball, sights you could actually aim with and not have the brass dented and ejected back toward your face. With the arched mainspring housing, GI hammer and grip safety it has that " GI feel" to it. To be honest you may need some trigger work on it. My Milspec had an 8 lb pull. SA paid for Fed Ex shipping both ways. For $80 (now $100) I had an action job done by them and got a 4.5 lb trigger that breaks like a glass rod. If I had opted for a hardened tool steel hammer and sear (my gun is SS), I could have had a 3 lb trigger for the same price plus the cost of those 2 parts. I could have paid nothing to get a trigger that was in spec at 5.5 to 6.5 pounds. The action job is worth every penny of the now $100. SA's lifetime warranty is transferable and if work is done by the SA custom shop it is warranteed also. You can get the Loaded with more bells and whistles like a beavertail grip safety and Commander style hammer but then it looses the GI look. Milspecs are good base guns for additions after you decide what you want but it is good to go right out of the box with the previously mentioned changes to the GI model. To me a transferable lifetime warranty is better than the name Colt.

MarkCO
12-16-2010, 09:20

And I did. I'll have it next week.

MD357
12-16-2010, 09:57
yeah, to those that doesn't know Colts are overpriced. And they're just paying for the name Colt. :upeyes:

Well that seems to be your little secret. :cool::whistling:

MajorD
12-16-2010, 10:07
about the over pay comment- my last 2 45 cal Colts- a combat government and a 1991A1 were bought in the last 3 years off gunbroker or auction arms. Both were under 600 including shipping and ffl fees.
Considering the all brazillian springfield GI is runnig around 500 bucks I do not consider that overpaying in any way. The last one I bought last year was a Colt Gov't in 9mm which I ended up paying a hair over 700 for.Name another 9mm gov model with as good a rep as colt going for that price- oh yea there are not any.

brzusa.1911
12-16-2010, 10:56
SA, Colt, Kimber, DW, S&W...production guns - I go with SA!

knedrgr
12-16-2010, 12:17
Well that seems to be your little secret. :cool::whistling:

No secret. To me, they are overpriced for the fit and finish of how much one pays for a 1911. Personally, I'm just not a big fan of their GS. The gap is just :wow:. Not asking for it to be like a semi-custom. But damn!

Colt Defender: retails for $850.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/Guns%20stuff/36008.jpg

Colt Gov't: retails for $750.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/Guns%20stuff/15437.jpg