Computer purchase help, needed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer purchase help, needed.

utah
12-13-2010, 06:11
Need some Christmas help…wife wants a laptop/net book computer for the following…
On-line payments while in front of the TV
Tracking our budget
Internet surfing

Things it has to have…
Excel and Word and other Microsoft programs

Things that would be nice to have…
Large memory
Fast speed
CD drive
More than 3 USB ports (side or front would be great)
Long run time without being plugged in

As mentioned, will only be used for paying bill and surfing the net. So what would be the most inexpensive/best one out there? As always thanks for the help.

Pierre!
12-13-2010, 07:43
Here is the critical question:

What's your budget?

Let us know, and then *GOOD* advice will follow... :cool:

Merry Christmas!

IndyGunFreak
12-13-2010, 07:53
Here is the critical question:

What's your budget?

Let us know, and then *GOOD* advice will follow... :cool:

Merry Christmas!

Yup...

But realistically, almost any laptop is going to meet your needs. I think by "memory" you mean a large hard drive... Honestly if you're just banking/surfing the internet, I can't imagine anything more than a 320gig drive being necessary. Dell has some pretty good deal on their refurbished units.

Battery life is really indicative of the specs on the laptop, and what exactly you're doing. Honestly if you're staying in the home, and her chair in front of the TV is near an outlet... all she has to do is leave it plugged in (remove the battery). If she's staying home w/ it, I can't see battery life being a huge issue.

IGF

GenX
12-13-2010, 08:47
I bought a dell xps15for my wife. Really, it was too much machine for us and I only upgraded the memory, battery and backlit keyboard from a base model. With a decent coupon code, got if for just under 800. Lenovo is doing pretty good discounts right now, only till the 15th I think. That will be my next laptop purchase for myself. I do like the backlit keyboard that dell offers though.

solomansousana
12-13-2010, 09:00
Need some Christmas help…wife wants a laptop/net book computer for the following…
On-line payments while in front of the TV
Tracking our budget
Internet surfing

Things it has to have…
Excel and Word and other Microsoft programs

Things that would be nice to have…
Large memory
Fast speed
CD drive
More than 3 USB ports (side or front would be great)
Long run time without being plugged in

As mentioned, will only be used for paying bill and surfing the net. So what would be the most inexpensive/best one out there? As always thanks for the help.

Netbooks do not have CD/DVD drives, only usb flash ports, although you can add a usb dvd drive.

Look into Dells outlet laptops. I purchased a Dell Studio 15.6" HD 720 for use in my ammo bunker out back:

Dell Studio 15.6" 720p HD
Intel i3-370
4gb ram
500gb HDD
Nvidia 1gb video ram
DVD +/-, DL Writer
9cell Li-ion batter good for 8hrs 28min full charge
Intel 6250 wimax wireless n card
5 in 1 card reader
Win 7 64bit Home Premium

Was Brand new unused but was Scratch & Dent with a small scratch on the upper lid: $549

And the good thing is, you can find the Intel t4500 for under 400 bucks.

utah
12-13-2010, 18:31
Budget...have no idea. If you haven't figured it out I know very little about computers, so I have no idea how much something like I mentioned would cost for a GREAT piece or a CRAPPY piece. Just for a number...can it be done for $300 - $500? As I mnetioned she'll only be paying bills, tracking her budget and surfing the net. Thanks

solomansousana
12-13-2010, 18:41
If thats the case, then Office Depot lately has been advertising Toshiba's for something like 349 to 399. Just whatever you buy, be sure to add a program for firewall and antivirus such as NIS 2011